2004 Thunderbird

2004 Ford Thunderbird

2004 Ford Thunderbird

5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2004 Ford Thunderbird?

Attention getter

by WT Pooh from Eugene, OR on Fri Nov 19 2010

Ford offered the retro '55s for only 4 years starting with 2002. Unfortunately they were priced at $40K as opposed to the $25K price Ford estimated. At that price, they were not competitive with the BMW's, Porsches and Mercedes, so they did not sell well. Many buyers looked at them as collector cars and kept the miles low. It is possible to find them with as low as 300 miles. The cars are still bringing in the high teens to high 20's, the lowest mileage ones bringing top dollar. The horsepower was upped from 252 in 2003 and again in 2004 to 280 horse. The 5 speed paddle shift was introduced as an option in 2004 for those who still like to shift. It is apparently just added on to the regular automatic because mine has both. The auto stick is useful coming down long twisting grades like California Highway 1. Mine also has dual control air conditioning. I can blow out ice cold air into my seat at the same time my girlfriend directs warm or hot air on to hers. Since I am always too warm and she is generally cold, this is an excellent feature for us. The car has all of the power accessories. It is a comfortable road car as well as easily maneuverable in heavy city traffic. The major draw back is a very small trunk. It would be great if the hardtop folded into the car rather than having to be physically removed. I have not taken it off yet because I have only had the car 3 months and I need to straighten out the garage first. I would be pleased if it got better mileage It delivers between 15 and 17 in the city and 21 to 25 on the hiway. Yes, I tend to drive faster than the epa rating is based on, and I tend to shoot through traffic. I would have to say that I absolutely love the car, and am thinking of buying another one. Mine is equipped with the two tone interior, rather than the straight gray leather the base model comes with. The two tones really spiff up the car and I did not want one without that option. I also have a Porsche Boxster which I also love. The two are completely different cars and the Porsche naturally handles better. However the majority of buyers wanting a Thunderbird are not necessarily looking for pure handling, but rather for a flashy rig to drive to the country club. I cannot imagine a targeted buyer who would not just love this car. All the owners I talked to who were selling theirs expressed a great fondness for the car. No one ever said anything negative about the T-Bird. A great, fun car with plenty of pep!

My 04 Delivers

by V8 Endangered Species from portland oregon on Sun Jan 22 2012

I bought this car with 17k miles in 2011 as a weekend fun car. In my opinion it is the best looking American car of the last 2 decades. I also considered a mid 60's XKE 4.2 ltr and test drove both. ( In my opinion the XKE is the best looking car ever designed). The driver position in both seats one between the left fender and the power bulge on the hood giving a great feeling of riding in a performance machine. Granted the XKE is old technology and this one had 50k miles on it, but it was much more loose, handled only fairly, and gave a feeling of imminent breakdown.(There is no way the XKE would reach 162 mph as published with the 4.2 ltr). The T-Bird felt confident, well put together and in it for the long haul. T-Bird likes: stance, grill, hood scoop( a work of art), v8/ 2 seater, options, handling and acceleration, fast convertible top, select shift. Dislikes: electronic controls are painted black like my 05 Ford 500 and paint will likely wear off as it did on my 05 (65k miles), Fear of coil problem which has not arisen for me, fear that heavy doors will result in panel misalignment later on, original price didn't consider competitor options. Overall I love this car and so does everyone who sees it. It will become collectible, but I don't care and bought it to drive. It is the best car to "be seen" in.

One for the ages

by Uncle Turbo from Lake Wallenpaupack, PA on Sun Oct 28 2007

I purchased my T'bird used 2 years ago with 24K miles. I now have just under 42K miles and they have all been fun. The top is so easy to raise and lower that even in the NE PA area the top is down a lot. It is surprising quiet riding with the top down until you come up next to a semi at 65+ mph. It is a quiet car with the top up too. The heated seats are great in the winter. It is not a good "snow" car but we do drive it in the winter when the snow is not falling. Repairs and maintenance have been reasonable. The battery was replaced by the dealer when we first bought the car. I had to replace an ignition coil pack to deal with engine misfiring, a $300 repair. New front brakes last week cost $290. The rear pads are only 1/2 worn. I replaced 2 tires and estimate tires last about 30K miles. I am sticking with the OEM Michelins to maintain the great performance. The exhaust note is not loud but does have a nice V8 rumble and is pretty sweet sound when you get on the gas. This car does have some serious go in it. With posi-traction rear end it bites very hard on dry pavement and you really take off in a hurry. I usually like to disengage the traction control because when "on" any wheel spin or slip cuts the motor power abruptly and makes for a jerky start. I'd just as soon let it slip and just feather the gas the old fashioned way. What is wrong with a little "muscle car" chirp or even a small patch now and then! This T'bird corners flat, and inspires confidence when entering corners at higher speeds. While it is not an all out sports car it certainly does well when driven in a "sporty" manner. My gas mileage is 25 mpg on expressway trips and 20 mpg in general mixed driving. Not great, but considering the V8 power and wicked performance I am very satisfied. The current selling prices for T'birds with comparable mileage to mine is still what I paid 2 years ago. That means little to no depreciation over the last 2 years, not bad! How many cars can you drive that don't depreciate?

Delivering on the past

by Retroman from Columbia, Connecticut on Sat Nov 15 2008

Those of us old enough to remember the introduction of the original T-Birds in the mid 1950s and the excitement they caused can fully appreciate the Retro Bird. Ford really delivered on this one and I have found it to be the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. The performance is all you can ask for in a sport/cruiser and the styling is truly a classic. You won't find another vehicle that is similar to the Retro-Bird. I have been pleased with the 20/24mpg mileage, especially from a high performance V8. The vehicle is a real eye turner, and I have gotten used to the numbers of people who approach to admire and discuss the Thunderbird. While certainly not the most practical car I've owned, it is the one I will not part with. The 2004 Thunderbird put the joy back in everyday driving and the excitement in travel. If you like what you see, you will love what you get.

It turns heads

by DrTee from Richmond, VA on Sat Feb 02 2008

I bought mine new solely because of it's looks. I was surprised by it performance and handling. The V8 has a lot of get up and go and it never fails to solicit a comment at a gas station. The trunk is a little disappointing; hard to get 2 sets of golf clubs but driving it to the course is worth the extra trouble that it takes to make everything fit.

My all-time favorite sports car

by Doc T from Twin Cities, Minnesota on Tue May 30 2017

I've owned several sports/specialty cars over the years, including Corvette, MGA, MGB, Austin Healey, Sunbeam Tiger, Jaguar, and have found this the best overall car. It has great performance, superb reliability, great features, etc. I like that it is a relatively rare car, so you don't see dozens of others around. It is the only convertible I've owned that absolutely doesn't leak in a car wash, and has a top that works excellently, and is tight and very quiet at highway speeds.

Nostalgia Trip

by RetroMan from Columbia Connecticut on Thu Sep 20 2012

Ford hit a home run with their Retro Bird, recapturing the excitement of the 50s originals. I had a 1956 Thunderbird and purchased this 2004 seven years ago. with over 50,000 miles driven, it has been trouble free and a pleasure to drive. Gas mileage for a V8 is surprizing with city at 19 mpg and highway at 25. The ride is soft and smooth; however this is certainly more of a cruiser than a high performance sports car. The overall appearance is excellent and is a real head turner. While now nearly nine years old, the most common comment is "is that new?" Being such a distintive vehicle, the styling will remain timeless and age won't have the same negative effect as seen with most vehicles. Heated seats and an excellent heater (dual controls) makes top down use extend well into the late New England fall. Simply put, it is the prefect fun car.

Lexus LS430 is most relible, but not as much fun t

by OFIE from Salem, Va on Sun Jan 21 2007

I love it and so does my wife - much to my sorrow! Her car is a loaded Lexus LS430, but since I purchased the Thunderbird, all she want to drive is the T-BIRD! Visibility "in Town" is not the best in some situations, but she is a dream to drive on the open road. Cargo space is also very limited, but to retain the styling which is beautiful, is about as good as one should expect.

One look makes people HAPPY

by Mint Bird from Richardson TX on Tue Dec 09 2008

Bought for my wife May of "04. This lady didn't want a 2-door and didn't really care for sports cars. That ended quickly when friends dropped by with their new Bird. We were off the next weekend and Vintage Mint Green had to be the one. Here we are 4+ years later and just passed 15,000 miles. The hard top has sat in the garage since 2005. We pretty much have year round convertible weather. This is a great car to drive. We have several other Birds in the area and enjoy getting together with this energetic group

glad I spent the money

by old dude from long island ny on Tue Sep 23 2014

Saw this black bird (2004) in a parking lot with a for sale sign looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Had 6500 miles and 2 years later we are up to 13000. Its in the garage in bad weather with the top down and boot on. When the sun shines out she comes for a ride, summer or winter. The best car ever!

1 2