1999 Windstar

1999 Ford Windstar

$535 - $4,999  MSRP Range

3.5

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 1999 Ford Windstar?

Ford Windstar LX

by Jim248 from Pontiac,Mi on Sat Feb 26 2011

A Good van for any family or first time driver, drives and rides good. Handles pretty good and has lots of space.

ford windstars with 150,000 miles are Trouble!

by monkeybiz from TN on Mon Dec 12 2011

they aren't like foreign cars. they have sensor trouble. the transmission starts going out. the sliding doors start sticking. the power steering and rack and pinion can go out. its sad--ive had many of them and enjoyed them for a time. But a 1999 I bought less than a year ago for 2700 with leather seats etc. has needed 2 new batteries 500 dollar+ on check engine lite stuff, a serpentine belt, a power steering pump and pulley, a rack and pinion and trans work. very hard to cope with.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great idea poorly executed. Money pit

by BCdriver1234 from Vancouver BC on Fri Jun 09 2017

I loved the room when the backs seats were removed. Seats were also very comfortable. I liked having the two armrests in the drivers seat. Good stereo. Van was nice looking. Too bad the transmission went out and had to be replaced. Then the replacement transmission started to go as well. The rear axle started to form a crack which could have caused a serious accident if I hadn't noticed it. Check engine light was always on. For that reason I couldn't have the vehicle tested for our aircare program thus could not insure this vehicle even though it was only 7 year old. spent more time in the shop then it did on the road. Really liked the van but hated the reliability issues.

Best Van to buy

by Just a housewife from Van Wert, OH on Tue Mar 24 2009

We bought our van with 94,000 miles on the transmission, and 12,000 miles on the engine. The engine was replaced by ford at 82,000 miles. The van now has 245,000 miles on it and the transmission is going. But our mechanic said it would only last another three months. That was last year in may. My husband delivers phone books and he'll put a pallet of phone books in this van and it does the job. It handles the load, and keeps on going. I'm very impressed with the windstars and am now on here looking for another one. We've had 2 windstars and my husband puts them to the test with the phone books and they passed over and over. Oh, and we never tune up our vehicles. So very little maintenance was done. I am still driving it. But I will be buying another one very soon. Best van for the money. I recommend a windstar wholeheartedly.

Pure Junk

by Turning Japanese from Portage Indiana on Wed Apr 21 2010

This van has been nothing but trouble since the day we purchased it brand new. Two intake manifold gaskets, cracked brake rotors, constant problems with interior lights, warning lights, radio speakers cutting in and out, transmission rebuilds at 50,000 & 70,000 miles. I've never owned a car this bad. Replacing the Ford original parts with aftermarkets helps somewhat. Try to contact Ford Motor Company, and all you will get is the runaround. Resale value is significantly less than the Toyota and Honda vans I should have purchased. I will not make the Ford mistake again.

Don't Take It Even If It's Given To You

by Family Car Driver from Pennsylvania on Mon Nov 26 2007

The worst van I ever owned. Constant problems with brakes, steering and transmission. Better be a mechanic with stock in NAPA if you are going to buy one of "Ford's better ideas" such as the Windstar. Spend the extra money right away and get a Dodge, Chrysler, or Honda. Don't buy from a company who can't get the basics right. The only bright side was the comfortable front seats and cavernous cargo area with the seats out. Good sound system and decent road handling. Too much time in the garage however, with 65000 miles on it we finally were afraid to drive it more than 25 miles from home. It was maintainanced regularly too so I can't blame it on neglect. BE AFRAID, VERY AFRAID.

Would never buy again

by Windstar is a lemon from austin TX on Mon Jan 05 2009

We bought this new. In the first six years, we had four transmissions installed, but Ford said "Nothing was wrong." The brakes had to be completely replaced three times (and yes we were very good with maintenance). In 2004, the pain started coming off in sheets off of the hood (even though it had been "garage stored". Ford said nothing was wrong. We had it repainted to the tune of $1200. Then, the pain started coming off of the roof in sheets. Again, Ford said there was nothing wrong. The total air conditioner just went out for the second time and the transmission is starting to slip...AGAIN. As of yesterday, the back door was the latest victim of the paint fiasco. Sections of the paint that are at least in 10 inch chunks are bubbling up and falling off.

I wish I had listened

by wish i hadn't done that from CT on Sat Jun 12 2010

My uncle and brother own this van my uncles is a 2000SE my brothers is 1995xl mine was an 1999SE my brother and my uncle both said "don't buy that thing its gonna be nothing but trouble even though its in good shape now" 2500 miles later and i really wish i had listened. the transmission blew, its cheeper to replace the car than drop out the engine wich is what you have to do to replace or fix the transmission and even if we do that its still not safe to drive.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by JoJo from The Northland on Wed Jun 15 2011

This is not as bad of a van as most people say it is. I know for a fact that this is one of the most reliable vehicles you can own. My family and I live out in the country, and our driveway is a steep gravel hill. In the winter, this van would rarely get stuck. Both of my sisters drove this car when they were in highschool, and both my parents drove from point A to where ever. A couple of years ago, one of my sisters had an accident with this van. She was perfectly fine, but the airbags did not deploy. Hopefullly this would not happen to any of you drivers, but be aware. Other than that, we beat this car up pretty bad, and it still ran great until that one day.

Served our family well

by Family man from Nashville, TN on Mon Jul 14 2008

Purchased it new in mid 2000 and have put over 95k miles on it. Transmission rebuild as expected around 80k miles, but only once left my wife stranded (alternator went out). Overall a very well made and reliable van.

1 2

Our Take on the 1999 Ford Windstar

Sparks, that little voice that resides somewhere between my heart and my brain, wouldn't shut up.

"How could you?" she asked. "How could you possibly rank DaimlerChrysler's Town & Country minivan number one?"

The question arose during a long run in Ford Motor Co.'s 1999 Windstar LX minivan. A year ago, the answer would've been simple. "That's easy," I would've said then. "The Town & Country has everything the Windstar doesn't -- performance, comfort, utility, looks."

But that was then. Today, maneuvering through New York City's murderous traffic, it was a different story. The new Windstar seemed especially well equipped for that contest -- more so, in fact, than the Town & Country.

The Windstar was... Read More