1997 Sierra 1500

1997 GMC Sierra 1500

$19 - $12,839  MSRP Range

Have You Driven the 1997 GMC Sierra 1500?

absolutely the best I have ever had.

by Canadian truck owner from Ontario, Canada on Fri Oct 31 2014

I have owned this truck for almost 17 years now.. I do take care of it with regular maintenance but the cost is minimal. Right now she has 201,5756 Km on it ..... ha ha . a lot of miles. I have never in all those years had anything major go wrong with this truck. the gas mileage is out of this world ( v6 200 hp) . just this week I finally had to replace a front wheel bearing. that's all. Lucky,,, I guess but what a truck. Satisfaction for me with reliability and everything that goes with it. I will keep this baby for as long as I can. It looks great, runs great and just feels great to drive. And all of this is happening in " the great white North"... ha ha ha. I would recommend that if someone out there is able to pick up a used one it will be a great buy.. just sign me Happy

My truck is amazing.

by Stephanie from Rattan, Ok on Tue Oct 26 2010

I recieved my 1997 GMC truck from my father for christmas in 2008, it was the best gift I have ever recieved! I have had this truck for two years now and as a college student miles away from home I have put thousands of miles on it and almost all was with a horse trailer behind me. I have had no problems at all with this truck. Definatly recomended!

Uses car for Towing

Keeping this truck forever!

by Truck Lover from Phoenix, AZ on Sun Jun 12 2011

I purchased my GMC Sierra base work truck in 1997 for $16,400. It had no radio or rear bumper, was very limited on the options included. It's a 4.3L V6 with Laguna Blue-Green Metallic paint. I have over 132,000 miles on it now and I put my foot into the pedal every single day that I have driven it. I have the original Motor and Transmission with no repairs to either. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and the only modifications I have made the the truck were a K&N air filter, Magna Flow dual exhaust system and a shift kit was put into the transmission. I have 3.08 gears running BFG A/Ts 33x11.50 and I kid you not, this truck gets hole shot on almost every vehicle. Of course not high end exotic sports cars but I usually beat vehicles like Trailblazer SS AWD and Cobalt SS' off the line all the way to 60mph. I keep up with all my buddies who have 4.8l V8 and 5.3l V8s when we drive on the freeway. My V6 is definitely something that would not be expected from six cylinders . Aside from the performance I have the original paint. I live in North-West Phoenix, Arizona and the heat/sun is a paint peeler here. My truck sat outside for three years when I got another vehicle and I do not even have so much as the clear coat peeling. The interior has held up absolutely great, my only problem has been the arm rests tend to break where the black plastic alignment clips lock it into place. So I would not advise putting your weight on those. I do have the manual windows/locks door panel so the power panel might be different. The bench seat has not even flattened where I sit, the foam is still firm and has no wear and tear at all. I know I will never get rid of this vehicle because even if the motor grenades one day I can go buy a GM 4.3L Crate motor for a couple grand and keep my mint condition truck!

WOW!!! I love my truck

by No Nickname from All Over on Mon Apr 09 2007

Hands down the best truck I have ever owned. I hate to get rid of it but 200113 miles was one heck of a ride..

Sweet Truck

by JAM#One from Brooksville, FL on Sat Sep 07 2013

When on vacation, a friend lent me her '96 Sierra. I enjoyed driving the truck so much that I came home and bought my '97 Sierra. The truck was my sole source of transportation for our first five years. Its use these days is intermittent work and pleasure. With 56,000 original miles, my Sierra is dependable, comfortable and still fun to drive.

Disappointmented greatly

by blueice from Maine on Mon Apr 13 2009

I have had three gmc trucks in the last ten years and I could not fault any but the 1997 we purchased two years ago with just 61,000 on it. A gargage baby. It is one thing after another and we can not find a set of tires that we don't have to lock in the 4x4 to get it off the lawn or back out of a gravel driveway due to its light weight and spinning. The brakes are never right and they have been fixed, replaced and everything else, also the steering is now gone bad and no matter what we replace it locks up on slow turns. It is one repair after another and at 91 thousand, it will be gone soon as I can not trust it to haul my horse trailer safely. I will hook up the dodge of my husband's with a broken heart. I loved my 1996's but this one is the biggest disappointment of my life.

Does not recommend this car!!

20 years, 216,000 miles and still ticking

by Cheesehead from Atlanta, Ga. on Thu Jan 12 2017

I bought it new in 97 and it has been dependable. Have replaced everything under hood except the engine. I put a Thrush glass pack on it and the V8 sounds and runs great. Another reason I love the truck is it has a 5 speed manual transmission that makes it fun to drive.

Never left stranded.

by Whitey from Burlington on Sat Dec 30 2017

Still going strong at 290k miles. No oil added between changes. Bought it in 2001 with 103k miles of highway miles. Took it on a week long 1700 mile trip to North Dakota last summer. Always reliable. Some minor engine work, but nothing major. Finally had to replace front wheel bearings. Quite a bit of run on edges, but not unexpected for a cold weather climate with road salt. Power driver seat and windows never have problems. Way cheaper to own than new one of comparable quality.

97 gmc Sierra 1500

by Bowlingjustin29 from Myrtle on Sat May 27 2017

I have been a Ford person all my life and I'm now 30 years old and bought my first 97 GMC extended cab Stepside. I drove a friend of mine's truck about a year ago and from then on I knew I had to have one. The truck I bought was also a 97 GMC and is now still running at 283,000 and it's still as strong as ever. It don't leak any fluids at all and is overall a great truck

Uses car for Towing

Can't complain at all.

by Hillbilly from North East, Md on Sun May 03 2009

Bought the truck in the fall of 99. It now has 257,000 miles on it and it still runs great. Just replaced the radiator on it for the first time. The transmission went out on it around 120,000 miles and had to replace the lower intake gasket later on. That's the only two things that was major. The intake gasket was actually one of the recalls that they had for this year. Very comfortable ride far as seating and suspension. Like the power also. It'll still light them up no problem. Very Happy with this truck. In fact when the engine finally goes , I'll drop another in it and keep going. Have no rust issues at all. Using it for work ,going to the dumps and hunting. All around great truck.

1 2

Our Take on the 1997 GMC Sierra 1500

Let's get the formalities out of the way first, then get to the one glaringfault the full-size GMC Sierra pickup truck is saddled with--a problem thatmust be resolved. Soon.

The 1997 Sierra 4WD extended cab pickup we tested rides and handles morelike a car than a pickup. Smooth and quiet with minimal jostling when the roadis uneven. More than ample space inside to stretch feet or legs and wiggle thehead, if you so choose. As much room and comfort as your family sedan, onlybeing an extended cab with seats for the kids, it's a family truck.

Being an extended cab, there's a large bench seat in back to place visitorsor packages, and with the optional ($420) rear-access (some call it third)door on... Read More