2003 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews

Change Year
2003 Gmc Sonoma
3.8
Average based on 12 reviews

Can't beat it for the price!

by from Missouri on June 9, 2010

This was the least expensive new small truck I could find! After 150,000 miles without ANY real problems, I know you can't beat it for reliability. It is easy to drive and park. I drive 2 hours a day, mostly highway and it has been dependable in all driving conditions. You can't expect a compact, economy truck to give you the same power and comfort you would get from larger, more expensive vehicles, but this little guy does what it was made to do, and it does it cheap! The small truck has some advantages over small cars, because it has a full frame. I have hauled with it, and it will handle a half-ton load as it should. I would not recommend putting more than that in it, because it IS a light duty truck. Mine is the long box version, and with the help of some 2X6's you can actually haul 4X8 material with the gate down. It will handle a yard of mulch just fine. It's great for yard work, because it's light and small, and it's easy to load and unload, because it is lower to the ground than a full-size. This has been a great truck for the money!

Wouldn't buy another

by from Spencerport, NY on May 13, 2010

I owned a 2003 GMC Sonoma Flareside and I would advise against buying one. There was a problem with the front end shimming and as many times as I took it back to the dealer to be repaired it could not be fixed. The third door was repaired at least four times and that was never right either. Mechanically it did run well.

I like this truck more than any I have owned

by from North Stonington,CT on March 28, 2012

I love my sonoma,it is everything I needed.4 wheel drive automatic , full size back seat,covered bed.It is a real sharp looking pick-up.

A + Best Light Pick Up Truck EVER

by from South Florida on May 6, 2012

known to go 200K+ mil mine is allready at 160K on original engine & trans. Can't beat them best truck ever, would recommend to all friends & family

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great Truck for the Money

by from Long Island, NY on May 7, 2012

Recently purchased a used 2003 GMC Sonoma with the ZR-2 package. This review is based on when the truck was made and not comparing it to today's trucks since it is 9 years old and things have changed a lot in 9 years. Currently the truck has 108,000 miles and runs like a champ. It gets driven 300 miles a week commuting to work and my car is driven on the weekends unless truck is needed for work around the the house. Like all older GM vehicles, as long as they are maintained and taken care of, they will run forever. My Sonoma is no different. Runs great, still putting out solid power from the 4.3 V6, and gets decent mileage for a truck at 17MPG. A K&N Cold Air Intake is installed and does provide smoother running and slight bump in power. There are the normal cracks, creaks, and rattles that happen over time since the interior is really just cheap plastic. Besides that it rides well with the larger 31" tires and is great off road. Normal repairs such as bushings, tie rods, UV joints have been done. Ride can be bumpy at times but it is a truck and rides as expected. Besides the cheap interior build quality, this is another example of a quality GM truck that when taken care of, will run well and will be reliable for many more miles as I expect to reach at least 150,000 miles with my ZR-2. This is my second S-10 as previous truck was a 1992 with the Tahoe package. These trucks are priced well at the time of this review and are cheap and easy to maintain. The ZR-2 package also adds a nice unique look to the truck.

i own a 2003 ZR5 Crew Cab

by from Fayetteville, AR on April 8, 2009

For a compact truck this vehicle has exceeded my expectations. I have had to relocate 3 times in 5 yrs and this truck has done it share of the work. We have had to have the 4X4 switch replaced twice but no other work beyond normal maintainance truly a great truck

wowza

by from Surrey BC on October 15, 2011

this little thing is a tank. Went camping and used it to toe our family boat (18ft silverline) on a 5 hour drive up to northern BC (Kamploops to be exact) and it did it easily. i was passing other trucks like nothing. as this is my first vehicle and i am in my 20's i have put in a CAI and did a muffler swap and got it at 200HP from 190HP. parts are cheap. most expensive thing i had to do to it was change the distributor. other than that just the usual breaks, oil, etc. its a 2wd and it is surprisingly good through the BC back roads, sloshing thru puddles and mud. definitely surprised some of the bigger truck owners. this thing is a tank in the snow haven't gotten stuck once and have had it for about 4 years. and its a GMC so you know it wont be Found On Road Dead.

Great Truck

by from owensville ohio on April 11, 2009

Best truck i owned 2wheel drive 4cycl , i use it for work and travel , accessories are cheap to buy

trucks

by from on August 30, 2009

i think this car looks very nice, gmcs make great trucks that are built for heavy duty things. the performance may lag a little bit but you can always add in some cheap parts to push the power up a wee bit more

piece of junk

by from S.S.M. Ontario on April 27, 2010

I sure wish the engineers of these vehicles would work on something they designed, then they would find out what they put professional technicians through. If you need anything done on the front differential, be prepared to pay big bucks, as I am in the middle of tearing mine apart, the driver's side half shaft seems to be fused inside the spiders. I am just short of grabbing the torch and cutting the truck up into a million pieces.... Never again