1996 Civic

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great first car!!!

by College Student from Louisville, KY on January 20, 2009

I bought a 96 Honda Civic LX in 2002 for my very first car. It is 2009 now and I still have it. It has 140,000 miles on it and still going strong. I drove it through high school and all of college. Great on highway and city roads and perfect gas mileage for a college student budget. I have had very few probelms with my car and could not have asked for a better reliable car. The only issues I have had was with my catalytic convertor and my o2 sensors going out, which was then fixed. I am now selling it and very sad to do so because I am afraid that another car will not be able to stand up to the standards that I now have for a good car!

One of the best car ever made...

by Civic Now from Toronto, ON on December 9, 2010

I love my Civic! I really love it every day, 7 days a week, excellent, excellent car! had this car for 5 months till today, it has 230000 KM, and this little 1.6L engine STILL pulls STRONG! never got any problem in my family for 8 years, passed on from my father, to my brother and now, me. Extremely reliable, easy and cheap to maintain, just change oil and brake pads. Great gas mileage, 35L can run about 450KM in city and 600KM+ on highway. last but not least, this little Coupe also looks sporty!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by LoveSongBlue from Richmond, VA on August 13, 2008

At 130k miles, this car has never had any service beyond typical maintenance, and continues to perform perfectly. We take it on long trips and short daily commutes with no problems.

The car that defined this generation.

by Diegoesc from Stafford, VA on February 25, 2018

A green 1996 Civic EX was my first car. I was 18 yrs old. I bought it with 181k miles for around 500 bucks , now it has around 221k. With nothing but 3 oil changes. One tranny fluid renewal. I'm a terrible owner because I realize it requires more maintenance. Spark plugs, air filter, wires, dist. cap and rotor. A tune up. Didn't do any of that. Everyone should though. Unless you're poor like me. Lastly, I realized the PCV Valve is super important to this model and its older brother, the CRV. The car leaked tiny amounts of oil from all around the engine for around 6 months before I replaced this tiny valve. It's a super hidden valve but now it runs like a CHAMP. It's a miracle fix. Runs when you want it to, got me like 300 miles on a full tank once. NOTE TO ALL POTENTIAL BUYERS: People who left bad reviews should take into account previous owners' driving habits. EVERY car requires maintenance sooner or later. Something WILL go bad at least once no matter how amazing your car is. If your civic failed, either you got really, really unlucky, or the previous owner is a dirtbag. I crashed it once. Popped the hood back into place like butter. Looks 60% better at least. Im alright. Car runs fine. This is japanese engineering at its finest. I plan to mile this car until it reaches zero again. Another engine costs like a buck fifty, maybe five hundred for a semi new one straight from japan. Super comfortable. Only complaint is, things are smallish under the engine bay, very cozy. Would recommend asking for help if youre inexperienced. Pros: ●Everything ●Gas efficient ●Comfortable ●Good traction Cons: ●Clutch is super low on a manual. ●Engine bay is small and a tight fit. ●Ceiling liner prone to sagging ●PCV valve ridiculously hidden ●Gas lid latch and Hood latch prone to breaking. ●Ceiling liner prone to sagging. I love this thing, despite that. In my opinion, this is the car of my generation .

1996 Honda Civic LX

by NascarNut from Chatham, MA on December 31, 2010

This has been an extremely reliable car for the past 145,000 miles. The only problem has been with the main wiring harness cracking and the power door locks and windows don't work in the back seat. It consistenly gives me 33MPG+ on trips at 70MPH+ has had 5000 mile oil changes and doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes. I'd buy another, but want a Jetta Sportwagen TDI for the back seat room and fuel mileage difference.

Great 16yr old car!!

by Working Soccer Mom from Tinley Park, IL on September 1, 2012

We bought this car used about 5yrs ago. It replaced and Accord that I totaled. This is probably the 3rd Civic I've had in my 30yrs of driving!! It's still going strong. We have had to replace/fix the typical things you'd expect on a car with 150,000 miles: radiator, exhaust system, tires, brakes, etc. It passed the emissions test last month however the check engine light comes on intermittently. The only complaint is the electric windows and door locks. We had it all rewired a few years ago and now it's starting to act up again and the A/C doesn't work. But I can't talk my husband into replacing it since it does get 35mpg and he drives 40+ miles each day round trip. Wish we could find another '96 but with only 50,000 miles on it!!

A great kick around car!

by Learned Stick on a Civic from State College, PA on December 1, 2006

I've owned my 96 Civic EX 2dr coupe for 7 years. It's been a great car. It does whatever I need it to - and its been driven all over the country. Gets great gas mileage! It will rust out and fall apart before it stops working.

A car you don't have to think about . . .

by Auto practicalist from Texas on February 11, 2007

We have owned a 1996 Honda Civic Coupe since 2000. It had only 15000.00 miles when we bought it. The only "problem" we had with the car was occasionally the check engine light would come on, which turned out to be a bad sensor in the exhaust system and nothing to worry about. Nevertheless, Honda replaced the catalytic converter for free at 125000.00 miles and tuned it up to boot. Otherwise the car has been mechanically flawless. Just regular maintenance has kept this car running great.

great car

by subsidedcircle from west pines on January 21, 2015

recently got this car as my first car its very reliable and i would put comfort higher but i am a 6'2'' tall guy so i dont quite fit in the car but any one smaller like 6' and under this is a great buy

Love this car

by SDwyer77 from Seattle, WA on October 5, 2017

This car lasted forever and I never had any issues with it whatsoever. I had a white one and it hardly showed dirt. The interior upholstery held nicely

1 2 3