2009 Civic

2009 Honda Civic

2009 Honda Civic

4.5

Have You Driven the 2009 Honda Civic?

2009 LX-S Automatic

by College Commuter from Southern California on Mon Oct 25 2010

The best part about this car is the gas mileage. I drive about 2500 miles a month (mostly freeway) and am averaging about 36-38 MPG. That is just normal driving keeping up with the flow of traffic. The best I ever got was 40.8 MPG. I have observed some serious blindspots on this vehicle. 1) The back seat head rests block a significant part of the window. 2) the cars structure beam around the windshield on the left and right side completely block the turn signal of large SUVs and trucks. They often swerve in front of me and I have to slam on the brakes just to find out that they have had their turn signal on for a while I just was not able to see it. The driver space in this vehicle is very small. If you have long legs i reccommend looking into a bigger car. My knee constantly hits the parking brake. Besides those few things i have never had any problems with the vehicle. It runs excellent and will continue to run for much more than 250k miles.

Most fun for the money

by Sport Compact Car Enthusiast from State College, PA on Thu Jul 01 2010

First of all, I have the Si version of the Civic Coupe. You should not buy this car if you can't handle a slightly harsh ride and the requirement to rev it to make any real power. That being said, the reason the car has a stiff ride is because it handles like a dream. Second only to the Integra Type R as far as handling is concerned. The Limited Slip Differential means no torque steer. The ride is very tolerable, even on long drives, but you will feel every bump through the steering wheel, which may or may not bother you, depending on how much of the road you'd like to feel. This car absolutely LOVES to rev. I've had mine dyno'd and although the torque curve is low at 125ft-lb, it's almost flat, so you don't need to rev much more than 2,000 rpm around town. This vehicle is equipped with VTEC. For those of you that don't know what that is, basically it enables the car to drive around under 6,000rpm, and get great gas mileage just like a regular Civic. But, if you go beyond 6,000rpm, the engine switches over to a race cam profile, which gives an immediate 30 horsepower and screams all the way to the 8,000rpm redline making 197 horsepower. That may not seem like alot, because it's not alot of power, but the engine revs so quickly it's never caught with it's pants down. The interior of the car is what you should expect from a $22,000 car, and from a Honda. Fitment is perfect. Soft touch materials everywhere. Seats are molded perfectly to hold you in place, and are very comfortable. The dash is a love/hate issue. Some love it, some hate it. It's a 2 tier design that puts the tachometer directly in front of the driver, and the digital speedo as well as digital engine temp and fuel gauge are above the tach, but positioned perfectly to check your speed without looking away from the road. For the enthusiasts, there is also a shift light located next to the speedo. The clutch is typical of a Honda, very light, very short, with a progressive pick up, meaning it's not jerky at all. The shifter is very notchy, so you need to make sure it's in gear before you lift off the clutch. But, it's a short throw kit and positioned very close to the steering wheel. I've owned 4 previous cars, an '89 Buick LeSabre T-Type, a '94 Chevy Blazer, a '00 Lincoln LS, and a '00 Acura Integra GS-R, and all of the American cars were massive money pits, and the Integra only cost me $90 in extra costs due to the hydraulics in the hatch freezing. Honda builds the perfect car. Give it a chance, you'll fall in love too. Especially VTEC.

Quiet nicer than I thought

by From BMW to HONDA from Citrus-heights, ca on Tue May 04 2010

Owned a 330 ci BMW and switched to Honda. Wasn't too excited at first but man, the geek mobil civic 09 has been impressing since 09 now... Changed oil twice n no mechanical or any kind of problems. Super reliable. I m not as impressed about gas per gallon performance but it's alright. Average 30 mpg. If you commute or just want to have a cheap to maintain car you might want to consider Honda civic.

LOVE!!!

by Jenny from Springfield, MO on Thu Dec 02 2010

I absolutely love this car!!! I've had it for 2 years and its my favorite car! The only thing I don't like about it is that its a little cramped for 5 people and its sometimes hard to get out of. That's just minor though! I also love that it keeps the value.

My 4th Honda and for good reason

by Helen from Berkeley, CA on Mon Apr 23 2012

This car has so many assets and buttons to them I haven't discovered all of them yet; but in the meantime, Honda has delivered another very comfortable and reliable ride.

Is this even a Civic?

by car lover from on Sat Aug 22 2009

I have driven many different vehicles, a Dodge Ram, Jeep Liberty and an older Honda Civic. This car by far car out-shined them all! I have the Honda CIVIC EX-L line. I have owned it since October of 2009 and cannot think of any car that could replace this one, not even a beemer. I only gave it a 4 on comfort because Im not a fan of leather seats, I just like the clean look of them and they are easy to clean. Not to mention leather does not stain and certain features are only available with a leather trim. Other than that the ride is very smooth. I could not believe this was a Civic when I test drove it, so I just had to pre-order a 2009 model. The car is very zippy in traffic and doesn't lack in speed when needed. I love the VSA feature, which handles very nicely in the snow. You cannot beat the USB MP3 media interface, I plug my iphone in and am set to go. The phone is charged and the MP3 music is operated through dash radio. Not even a BMW has that feature. I range 28-30 MPG combined with city and highway, 30-36 MPG on highway. I keep my oil and filters changed and use the regular grade costo gas. I drive reasonably, but am known to have a lead foot and very pleased with MPG.

Most reliable car I've ever owned!

by Honda lover! from Hopewell NY on Fri Nov 14 2014

I've owned this car for over 5 years. After buying & owning cars for the past 45 years (that's alot of cars!) this is the very first car that the ONLY time I had to take it in for service was oil changes & snow tire changes! It's not only very reliable, but extremely roomy & comfortable for a smaller vehicle. It gets higher gas mileage than the estimate given when I purchased it! It also handled very well in the snow! I'm extremely happy with this car! Thank you Honda!

prefect for high gas prices!

by ballentine from grand rapids mi on Tue Mar 06 2012

we went from a bonneville ssei to the honda. were the honda lacks in interior extras it makes up for in the savings on gas. the only bad thing i can come with is, it has more road noise thsn i am use to.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by New Civic Owner from New Mexico on Tue Sep 22 2009

I recently purchased a Honda Civic LX-S and can't be happier with my car. The seats are so comfortable and the ride is very smooth. Although the handeling is not as sensitive as a previous sedan I owned, I got used to it. Ok, so there is some road noise, but it doesn't bother me with my music on. The styling of the exterior is so compact compared to the abundunce of space inside. I love how the LX-S has upgraded black interior and the leather wrapped steering wheel. It gives it a luxurious feel and look. Although the digital spedometer took some getting used to, I think it is very cool and prevents you from taking your eyes of the road. One drawback I found is that Honda recommends 87 gasoline(midgrade), but with the fuel economy of the Civic it will definitely get better gas MPH than my previous vehicle(truck). All I can say it that I love my new car. If you want reliability, fuel savings, and plenty of space, than test drive a Civic and you will see.

very happy with purchase for graduating college st

by Moe from South Shore, Massachusetts on Tue Mar 24 2015

purchased car after seeing it at cars.com and very happy with purchase; great first car for daughter; a little sporty and good power for 4 cylinder; good gas mileage, nice navigation feature and moon roof made it perfect for young person

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13

Our Take on the 2009 Honda Civic

Honda's compact Civic made headlines earlier this year when it became the best-selling vehicle in the country for the month of May, beating longtime sales champ the Ford F-Series. You may remember that American car buyers were in a state of panic then, with gas prices soaring (how times have changed), and in search of cars that were lightweights at the pump.

The urgency of this summer's fuel-economy rush has passed, but perhaps someday that moment will be looked at as a turning point in the importance of fuel efficiency in the car-shopping process. Either way, Honda's Civic will probably still be among the models shoppers turn to.

While the Civic's EPA-estimated 25/36 mpg city/highway with the automatic... Read More