Model Details

1997 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews

Average based on 12 reviews

Well-built

by from Dublin, Ireland on January 15, 2010

Had just two mechanical faults, admittedly at reasonable mileage (circa 60,000). First was requirement to replace rear bushes on suspension and second was blow-out of top of radiator needing new one. Otherwise, mechanically sound. Driver's seat is uncomfortable on long journeys and road noise is excessive. Very sure-footed in icy conditions though.

Great for the money

by from Sterling, VA on August 4, 2006

I love my 1997 CRV! Could not have gotten anything even close to as functional or reliable for the money. The fold-down back seats are great as is the AWD. Great daily driver as well and shockingly good gas mileage. I only wish the engine were a little bit stronger, but it is adequate. Overall a great car!

awesome

by from JACKSON, WI on November 27, 2012

awesome in snow, very reliable.looking for a newer one just because my legs are long and I fit better in the second generation CR-V.

1997 Honda CR-V

by from New England Megalopolis. on May 21, 2013

We purchased our 1997 CR-V about a month ago with 118,000 miles on it. We have put 1000 trouble free miles on the car and are quite pleased with it so far. The seats are not the most comfortable for longer trips but they're not intolerable. The car drives and handles nicely and the fuel economy is around 21-24 for combined mileage. The car has a lot of interior room for us and our 3 boys and a bunch of beach or boat stuff.

Love the way it drives

by from Jefferson,WI on September 21, 2009

Have 97 EX that I bought for $4500 with 145k miles,the awd is awesome in the snow,gets great gas mileage for being awd,normal wear and tear,brakes,stabilizer links,tie rods,I just had it in for an alignment and they told me I needed a new universal joint and honda only makes this part which is $900,I did some checking on my own and found an after market company called rockforddriveline that makes after market universal joints for $35.00 and called them and found a company they sell the parts to,so I had them do the work it saved me $400. Just hope no other major things go wrong.

Reliability light SUV that is hard to matched

by from GA on January 6, 2015

I have put over 250,000 miles and this SUV is still keeps going. I don't have any single issue with transmission, powertrain and engine at all. I bought it from Apr 2000 at ~36,000 miles used. The payload is pretty good as I have moved around the country a lot and also during my military PCS. This SUV has a good mileage even as current (over 23 mpg). The only issue is this SUV is not built to tow, so I bought a 2014 2500 RAM pick up truck. However, I am still keeping it for a town ride.

This is the most reliable car I own

by from Texas on December 5, 2007

I love my 1997 Honda CRV! I traded in my Dodge Avenger (don't go Dodge ever!). My ex-brother in-law owned a Honda accord for many, many years and had no problems with it. I also have other friends who own Honda's and now I know why! I Could not have gotten anything even close to the reliability of the CRV for the money. The fold-down back seats are great for hauling off things, as is the AWD. Great drive for a daily car and also good for long trips as well, and shockingly good gas mileage.The only close disappointment has to be that the engine does not have that kick that my avenger had, but it is adequate. Overall this is a great car and I will definitely buy Honda again.

great reliable roomy awd crv

by from carmel ca. on March 11, 2011

This cute C.R.V. hugs the road and will take you anywhere with no problem. Not luxurious whatsoever, but delivers reliability and value.

CRV by CIDPUSA

by from Walnut , CA on December 27, 2011

I have had the car since 1997 bought it new and have driven it several times on 1500 mile trips and with time the car has accumulated 180,000 miles. Other then changing the tires, battery, shocks , distributor cap and sparkplugs everything else is original. You have to change the v-belt every 100,000 miles. The car still runs like it was new. The first generation of the CRV is just bullet-proof thanks to God. The engine is 2 liters and gives fuel mileage from 23- 29 MPG.

Clifford, the big red CR-V

by from SE OHIO on May 28, 2012

Great car! Loved to run up the hills. Loved playing in the snow, never lost traction. Never left me on a country road, didn't mind the terrain. Really, an outstanding dog of a car.