Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2009 Element

2009 Honda Element

2009 Honda Element

Have You Driven the 2009 Honda Element?

A real sweetheart of a car.

by Kodakery from Eugene, OR on Sun Feb 21 2010

After a two week trip all over eastern Oregon, packed like sardines in a 2007 Corolla, full of camping gear and a medium sized dog crammed in the passenger wheel well, it was time for a larger car. We went to the Honda dealer test drove the Element EX AWD, fell in love and drove it home. The safety and reliability are a huge plus. The interior may seem simple and possibly spartan for the price, but it's all there. Seats are firm, the controls are easy to read and simple to use. Visibility is amazing out of the windshield, like a giant flat screen t.v. Steering feel is predictable and smooth. Braking feel is very smooth as well as, nicely balanced. But it can feel soft or light...without enough pressure. I have short legs and crazy long arms and i had no problems fitting and getting in a comfortable driving position. So far we have had no issues with cross winds or excessive rough ride/bumpy-ness. I do have a couple of minor complaints. No locking gas cap. If the car is locked you can't use the ignition key to manually unlock the tail gate, with out using the key fob to unlock it. The drivers seat arm rest is low, narrow and too short. The stock windshield wipers and tires are a straight up joke. This car really really benefits from proper tire pressure, it makes a shocking difference.

Our Element Lx 4wd

by ZMAN from michigan on Wed Jan 20 2010

We picked up our 09 Element Lx 4WD over a month ago and from a first day it struck me as a very solidly build vehicle. Let’s be honest we did not buy it because we instantly fell in love with it. At $20.650 new was hard to ignore ’ add a decent financing of 1.99 APR. We are well in our 30’s with a single child and we were looking for a vehicle we could utilize for more than just ride to work but also for outdoor activities: bicycling, skiing etc. My wife adds approx 20K a year to the vehicle so buying anything ’nice’ didn’t seem like a good and sensible idea. I have to tell you that Element surpassed so far my expectation as for the versatility and utility of the vehicle. Huge cargo room with a single seat folded you can put in anything you want . Durable rubber floor- not a carpet that you have to watch for spills and such all the time. The rear gate folds flat so you can haul longer objects ( fridges, washing machines and such, anything big). Some people complain about that it sluggish. I don’t think it is slower than vehicles out on the road ’ never had any problems accelerating the vehicle. The driver has a commanding view while driving . Seem to be as fast as any accord/civic (except V6 perhaps). If I want to go fast I usually use my CBR1000RR ’ believe me , this is fast!!!! You cannot mach it with your tin can!! So back to the Element ’ If you are an active person using your vehicle for other extra activities and do not have to have every surface covered with carpet or a faux wood panels ’ BUY IT ’ IT IS EVERYTHING YOU NEED NOTHING YOU DON’T

Elements Save You

by Love Elements from Springfield, MO on Sun Jan 29 2012

I'll have to tell you my experience with this car. Two days ago I was driving my Element when a guy ran a red light and t-boned my driver side at 50 mph. The Element saved my life. The curtain airbags saved my life. I will be buying another Element as soon as the insurance companies are done settling. It is an amazing car that I never took the shop once, except for oil changes while I owned it. Safe, dependable and funky. Buy it. You wo't be dissappointed.....but you may be hard to find one now that they are discontinued....better hurry!

Love my Honda

by Honda Honey from Salem, Oregon on Thu Jul 09 2009

I finally got another Honda after trading my CRX in on a Subaru Impreza wagon which proved to be the worst car I ever owned and a huge lemon. Since getting my Element, I no longer have to get up each day and tell my car that I hate it! The Element is fantastic. It does have a weegee spare tire instead of a full-sized one, but its other great features far outweigh that issue. This car gets close to the subaru's mileage but is far easier to drive. My dogs, which I take in it quite often, also prefer it over the Subaru. I also was surprised at its ease of handling. Turns out that it is 3 inches shorter in length, 4 inches wider and one foot taller than my Impreza, so it easily fits into the same space. I love the cargo (suicide) doors on the sides. I love the seat configurations. I love the non-carpeted floors. I love the keyless entry. I love the theatre seating and back seat space. I love the interior design. I love the cupholders. I love the way it turns on the interior lights (including the dash lights )when I unlock it remotely. I love the clam-shell back doors with their own dome light. As far as it being hard to see out of, the only time I see that as an issue is when one of the back seats is folded up to the side. I has way fewer visual obstructions than my Subaru did or than my husband's relatively new Dodge Dakota truck. I am a shorty, so I love the fact that I sit up much higher and can see the road very well. It also is very solid--the doors sound heavy and safe when you shut them. The amount of storage they crammed into this is amazing. Although Mine is a front wheel drive and the cheaper LX model, the interior features are almost the same as the more expensive models. We did spring for the rubber mats and a running board for it because it is quite a high step to get into the back. This year they had a slight redesign of the front seats and the exterior. Its headlights are huge! They still put plastic around the wheel well edges so that it will avoid many dings. I would recommend it to my friends, but they already have Elements!

Finally!

by Element Lover from Nipomo, CA on Mon Apr 16 2012

I have wanted an Element for years, but didn't need a new vehicle. When the time came to look for a new car, there was only one I wanted. I did look at other similar vehicles when people suggested them, but the Element has two features that fit my lifestyle: rubber floors and removable back seats. A lot of dirt (kids, plants, dogs) makes it way in and out of my vehicle, so the rubber floors have been great. Just a quick sweep and all is good again. I have a young child, whom is with me most of the time, so I must have a back seat. I tend to acquire a lot of furniture, so having a vehicle where one seat can be taken out or folded up to the side, while the other seat stays put, gives me the freedom to carry/haul a lot of things without having to worry about dropping the kid off somewhere first. As for the other stuff: I think it looks really cool, inside and out. I get tons of compliments on it. Gas mileage isn't bad, even with 4WD, especially considering it falls into the SUV category. And it is a Honda, super reliable, I haven't had a single problem to date with anything. It has a lot more room inside than you would think, fits my 6ft 5in boyfriend just fine. I think the only downfall is the seating: you have 4 seats, but can squeeze 5 if needed. I have a small family, usually just 2 of us in the car, so it is great for me. But if you are shooting for or have a big family, this is not the vehicle for you.

I Lo-o-o-ve it!

by Max's Owner from Sierra Vista, AZ on Tue Jul 27 2010

This car is fantastic. It drives great, gets wonderful mileage and is versatile. I just took it camping and took out the seats. It holds a lot of stuff and when I got home, I just hosed out the car! The EX model is the best and the 2009 model has the new SUV look to it. I can't say enough about this great car!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Versatile & Best Vehicle to own & ride in ever

by EG - Element Girl from CT on Sat Aug 01 2009

Great for dogs, hiking, soccer, camping, all outdoor fun, etc. No carpet to stain - just sweep & clean. Seating for 4 only cld be a drawback; however, this gives much head & leg room for all. All who go for a ride with us LOVE IT! We now call our 4-door p/up a "sardine can." No complaints when we go for a ride in our "E". 4 cyl so gd on gas! :) Back seats flip up&out of the way for lg. loads. Back area has plenty of storage room. Woofer & speaker sys. have gd. sound. The part between door & front window is a bit too wide at the bottom section for "shorties" so it can block view. The "Suicide Doors" took a little to get used to bec. driver must wait for back seater to close 1st, but you get used to it. Other than that it is a perfect choice for most & wld buy again.

Need reliable-this is my Element

by Table of Elements from Summerville, SC on Wed Jan 15 2014

My son needed a reliable car for school and work and not costing an arm or leg. I have driven my 2006 Element for 7 years with zero problems. So, I sold him mine and bought my self a newer one. Now we have two in the driveway, and sort of looks like a dealer lot. Anyway, they quit making these so getting it now while the getting is good seemed a great idea to me. This one is even fancier with running boards and tow package and overhang over front windows to keep out the rain. Looks great, runs well, no problems and I expect to keep it for years. Pretty easy to find in a parking lot too.

Got it for my dogs, we all love it.

by Dog Person from Chicago, IL on Thu Jan 19 2012

When the Element first came put, I thought they were kind of ugly. My opinion has obviously changed since then, and it's the boxy design (along with the clamshell doors, washability, AWD and price) that has now attracted me. It's perfect for my dogs in regards to being easy to clean and having a lot cargo space. I love the way the rear seats can be completely removed and the inside can literally be hosed out. The rear passenger door design is perfect for older, aging dogs, as it's not a huge step and the door opens wide enough for easy entrance. I love it! I loved my Xterra, and there was nothing wrong with it, but I felt my hand was pressured into getting a newer car before my beloved Xterra's time because of Honda's stupid decision to discontinue the Element. I hope they bring it back, as I can see me eventually wanting a newer one down the line.

GREAT car value

by Rockin' my Element from North Carolina on Wed Aug 17 2011

I have owned a BMW 540I, three Dodge RAMS and various other vehicles. The Honda Element by far is just a perfect little vehicle. A bit of road niose that can be helped out with a set Michelin tires. Do your general maintenance and it will go for over 200,000 miles.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2009 Honda Element

At first look, the 2009 Honda Element seems like the perfect kid-mobile. Virtually every surface in the Element is water-resistant and wipeable. The floor is rubberized and has no cracks or grime-collecting slots. There are tons of cubbies for storage, and there's almost nothing in the car that the kids could destroy. Even the doors work like prison gates to lock the little monsters, um, I mean, angels inside. It sounds perfect, but it's not.

The Element's center-opening, swing-wide doors, aka suicide doors, meant my kids couldn't get in or out of the car by themselves. When both front and rear doors are open there's a lot of space for getting in the car, but I had to reach around the door frame, which... Read More