2000 Insight

4.2 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.4 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.7 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

Inexpensive to maintain, totally dependable

by Kim from Temecula on July 21, 2009

My husband drives this car. We have almost 200,000 miles on it and it still runs PERFECT!!! Honda said this car was suppose to get 70 mpg, but the best we have seen is 64.5, and that is feathering the gas and drafting semi trucks.... which is still amazing. On avereance we get about 60-62 mpg. The down side is that it has no power. If you drive easy, not in a hurry and don't mind people getting mad because you can't get up to speed as quickly....then this is the perfect car! We have always mainted the car at the Honda dealer and our 7,000 mile services run about $79.00....which is increadibly cheap when you figure the saving in gas and dependablility it offers. We highly recommened this commuter car!

Incredible gas mileage

by pkellmey from St. Louis, Missouri on November 22, 2006

I have owned this car for almost 7 years. In the beginning I got 65 mpg city/85 highway. Now I get 50 city/75 highway. This car has had 0 reliability problems since day one. I have been in 3 separate accidents from Luxury SUVs hitting it, and the aluminum alloy body easily took incredible crushing damage without any of it entering the interior where I sat, even after a side collision. However, people who are not familiar with hybrids should know, as the batteries age the stored energy deplete a little quicker and take a little longer to recharge. All batteries also deplete quickly in cold weather. That leaves a little less performance during winter, but not enough to be a concern for most people.

Fantastic $65,000 Cost to Build by Honda

by Fred from Miami, FL on September 24, 2008

This car is a gift from Honda to the American drivers. Gas economy plus style. You can't do better.

Insight on the Insight

by Dave from Fullerton, Ca on May 7, 2009

Incredible vehicle. Have only owned one second hand for 5 months but easily the best engineered car ever. Gets about 55 mmpg on highways and 45 local easily the best hybrid on the market. Too bad Honda discontinued it = only knock is it is a 2 seater they could have engineered in a third seat which would have been a great bonus. For communuting and a small family this is the ultimate vehcile. Handles great = surprising performance but very weak on hills.

I haved saved thousands on gas

by travelersfs from California on September 15, 2011

Absolute joy to drive. Smooth and reliable. Never think twice about making a drive...Anywhere!!!. Recently saw a 2000 model on CL with over 400k miles for sale. wow!

Great car!

by hybrid from on November 16, 2008

My Insight has been trouble-free and has given me 48 to 60 mpg without effort on my part. Fun to drive, easy to get around town and park. Sharp looks!

If you need the gas mileage......

by rusty41251 from Minden, NV on February 25, 2014

Any 2000-2006 Insight is a car with a narrow purpose. Two seats, horrible ride, weird handling, what's to like? Well no car, and I mean no car will get this kind of mileage on the open road. You drive in town? Get a plug-in. But i drive 52,000 freeway miles a year and this car has been a godsend. I have averaged 70! mpg since 2005. I drive very carefully at 60mph but it has paid off. I held 90 mpg once from San Jose to the Grapevine. Also, for a modern car it is easy to work on; Plus no timing belt. DO NOT drive this car in snow. Very reliable.

Bring It Back

by Sarah from San Antonio, TX on July 8, 2016

I was one of the first owners of the 2000 Insight in Oregon and wherever I went people would stop and ask about my car. In 2010 I had a job transfer to San Antonio, TX. The car did great on the trip, and people were surprised how much I actually packed in the car. I still have the car. I understand not many sold in TX, however I did find a mechanic who owns one and it still runs great. Really sad that Honda does not make this style insight since I bought my car in 2000 my over all average is 55 MPG. Love that it is a standard also. Before moving to TX I did test drive the new Insight and it was nice; but it just did not feel like the original style. For a single person this is just the right size.

Outstanding Car

by Former Owner from Washington DC on March 20, 2014

I just sold my 2000 Insight after 2.5 years and 60K miles. It was an excellent car that I know I will miss. I bought it as an economic decision and discovered it was a wise investment - despite its funky look. I averaged high 60 MPG on my long commutes. Never really had to do anything to it other than put gas in it and tires on it. The car effectively paid for itself with my gas savings. It only had 130K on it when I sold it and expect it will probably last another 200K with the new owner.

Goes for miles

by 130DailyMiles from Vacaville, CA on November 9, 2017

A great no-frills commute vehicle, plan on driving defensively while saving lots of money on fuel. Keep the IMA battery maintained and use OEM LRR tires - it makes all the difference!

1 2