2013 Insight

2013 Honda Insight

2013 Honda Insight

4.4

Have You Driven the 2013 Honda Insight?

Economical Smooth Ride ** Love This Car

by CAS from Vacaville, NY on Tue Oct 01 2013

I traded in my Prius for Honda Insight. Both Cars are excellent and have + / - I averaged 50 mpg with the Prius and 44 mpg with the Honda Insight. So I gave up 6 mpg for a smoother, quieter ride with better visual around the car. For this reason I would say the Honda insight is the better hybrid car. The interior of the Honda has very nice features and everything works flawlessly. I paid a much higher price for the Prius and I would say the quality of the material is similar in most cases. Note the Prius had leather and keyless entry. I do miss the keyless entry but not enough to go back to the Prius. I took the Honda on a road trip across country and have to say overall the Honda is more comfortable, handles better and I can see all around! Sporty economical ride - I am very happy!

Most Underrated Car

by From New Jersey from NJ on Sun May 04 2014

This car is the best kept secret out there. I have owned the car for a little over a year and have driven 35,000 miles. The car is solid, so far no rattles or unusual noises for the first 35k miles. Change the oil and put gas in it; that's it. Averaging 46mpg combined driving which exceeds the EPA testing. This car runs flawlessly Cost's about $4,500 less than a Prius.

For the thrifty, this can't be beat

by KineticWing from Gardiner, ME on Thu Jun 08 2017

If you want cheap, economical transportation, nothing beats a 2nd gen Honda Insight right now. Mostly due to the popularity of the Prius and EPA MPG ratings below the Toyota, the Insight is not very popular; bad for people who bought new but a great opportunity for someone to buy used. I paid under $10k out the door for a '13 with 48k on the clock. It's Honda reliable, and with careful driving, you can easily achieve 48-50 MPG. If your goal is to save money, thi sis hte car for you. Do yourself a favor and get an EX model though... the price difference is small, and you get a massively better stereo, alloys, and paddle shifters (I know it's not sporty, but the paddles are phenomenal in slippery conditions)

Lost this Car!

by Pecocat from Indio, CA on Tue Feb 04 2014

I have only had my new/used 2011 Honda Insight since the first of December, (2 months) but I am totally sold on it. My last vehicle was a 1999 CR-V and loved it too. But I was looking for better gas mileage. #1 MUST for this car was it had to be a hatchback or wagon for my two small dogs. I made the right decision. I love everything about this car. It is zippier than I thought it would be; it feels like a sports car and very fun to drive. Love the gas mileage! The only downside is the light-colored gray seats. I scotchgarded, but pups' feet do get dirty. Guess I will have to get seat covers. Small price to pay for this awesome car!

Nice car.......but

by Common sense driver from Santa Rosa, CA on Wed Jul 29 2015

I purchased this car to explore the hybrid technology and take advantage of fuel economy etc. It is a good basic car. The feel of the bodywork is a little flimsy, but everything you would expect from an economy car. I quite like this car as a simple functional vehicle, and if Honda record proves true I expect it to work for a long time. That being said, I will focus on highlighting flaws and drawbacks to consider. The single greatest flaw of this vehicle is visibility. This vehicle has the worst direct visibility of any vehicle I have driven in 37 years. Visibility was clearly sacrificed to styling with narrowed windows, and poor placement of structural stability elements creating many blind spots. The mirrors help to compensate, but there is no substitute for direct vision. The vehicle does not appear to have a "battery only" operating mode, so the engine always engages when in operation. The hybrid aspect comes from battery assistance, and auto shutoff of motor to improve fuel efficiency. One of the results of the auto shut off appears to be that when you stop and the engine shuts off so does the A/C. The fan continues, but on a hot day you can feel the difference. When used as a hatchback, dropping the rear seats is useful, but very limited headroom in the rear, too low for a medium sized dog. Glove compartment and additional storage areas are very small but functional. Some of the controls are odd and take a little getting used to, A/C control being one of them. The vehicle sits and rides pretty low and sporty, so watch your head getting in & out if you are average height (5'9"), but drop the seat back and there is plenty of legroom. The ride is pretty smooth, but minimal suspension makes the ride quite firm. Overall a decent car, at 40-44 MPG there are many non hybrids that come quite close (Civic) with better performance. A few basic design modifications could have made it truly impressive.

Does not recommend this car!!

Love it!

by Kaz from Honolulu, HI on Mon Jun 19 2017

The current one is my second Insight. It's fun to drive although I wish a bit more power. A quiet ride from Hybrid system is good. Thanks to the special eco driving indicator, I think my driving style became more gentle and more fuel-efficient. So my wife and I love this little Honda.

Great Mileage

by WV Insight from Shepherdstown, WV on Mon May 20 2013

Everything exceeded expectations especially the mileage. Only sore spots: No button ignition TPMS is a pain. Had to take it in 4 times to get the light to go off....doesn't like to stay off when the temp goes below 43 degrees.

So far so good :)!

by lnq from Milwaukee, WI on Mon Apr 24 2017

I've really enjoyed having a hybrid and hatchback car! It's perfect for dog owners, the insight has provided enough room for three medium sized pups to all fit comfortably in the hatch! The gas milage per gallon on my Insight has been superb compared to my old car... so far my gas has been less than $25 and can go more than 325+ miles until I need to fuel up. It's a very fun and quiet car to drive, excited to see how it holds up!

45 mpg on my last drive!!! Love it!!a

by Honda lover from Southern California on Thu Jan 02 2014

My last Honda was the Accord EX, loved it but I drove 86,000 miles in 2 yrs! The Insight w/ the hybrid engine is great for all of the driving that I do. Moss Bros in MV was the 3rd dealership that I visited & they were great to deal with.

Most reliable car I have owned

by dimitriguy from Grayslake, IL on Sat Aug 25 2018

This car is the most reliable car I have owned, although it is my first Honda. I purchased a 2010 Honda Insight in December 2013 with 42,000. As of August of 2018, I have a 176,000 miles, with minor service issues. Extremely reliable. Steel rims are durable, as oppose to aluminum rims. The MPG Is great. I can get 48 MPG on the highway and around a 42 MPG in the city. Trunk is huge. I can fit a double stroller width wise plus groceries with no problems. I have used this car for ridesharing and have been able to fit two large suitcases and a small suitcase. The car inside is a compact car but the trunk space is much larger. Performance is lack luster with only 90 horse power but is adequate, and is made up by the great gas mileage that I mentioned before. The interior design, is ok. Sort of blah. Perhaps what I don't like the most about the car is the light grey interior. With two small children, any slight stain or dirt shows up very easy, and is extremely difficult to remove, even with a Little Green Clean Machine and pretreatment. The LX Trims, which mine is, do not have blue tooth and you have to use a AUX Cord to connect any type of phone. EX Trims do have Blue Tooth. Overall if you are looking for a extremely reliable car, with a big trunk, that is fuel efficient at three to four thousand dollars less than a full size Prius, this is an excellent choice.

1 2

Our Take on the 2013 Honda Insight

Editor's note: This review was written in October 2012 about the 2012 Honda Insight. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2013, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

The Honda Insight has made its mark as the least-expensive hybrid on the market for some time now. While inexpensive, the Insight has never been an easy car to recommend. For 2012, a minor redesign with enhancements to areas where the car previously faltered attempts to spark some life in the Insight. See a comparison of the 2011 and 2012 here.

While the 2012 Honda Insight takes a step forward in refined driving and improved gas mileage, it needed to take five... Read More