2001 Odyssey

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2001 Honda Odyssey?

Eats up Transmissions

by taxedout from Las Vegas, NV on Thu Feb 11 2010

The engine is great, and this van is wonderful on long road trips. The downside is the transmissions are BAD! I'm on my 4th tranny and Honda just seems to replace the transmission with another defective one. They last about 36,000 to 40,000 miles and then they begin to shift roughly. Honda has replaced them free, but on the last one they paid 75%, and I paid 25% The other problem are engine mounts. Maybe because I live in the desert, the heat wears the rubber out on the mounts, but I've replaced all but one..and now that one has gone bad. I've got 150,000 miles on this van now. I've got a 96 Ford Explorer and the only problem I've had is the fuel pump went out, and the window regulator on the driver's door has gone out. It has 140,000 miles on it and I trust it's reliability more so than on this Honda. I've heard so much about how "wonderful" Honda's are, but my experience has not been great. And this Honda has been maintained at the dealership since day 1!

Does not recommend this car!!

Great family get away vehicle.

by haste from Fort Worth, TX on Wed Jun 01 2011

Can't say enough about the Honda Odyssey. Was looking into getting a Dodge Caravan or Nissan Quest, but too many good reviews on the Odyssey changed my mind. I am so glad they did, great vehicle, good mileage, stylish, comfortable and has been very reliable. Have owned this vehicle for 5 months now and no issues (knock on wood). Thanks Honda!

Transmission

by goonch from Col. Ohio on Sun Sep 04 2011

Nice car, original owner,3rd transmission. Needed upsized tires for traction control.Why did they continue with the oem part?

Does not recommend this car!!

Great on gas

by OdysseyMama from Tampa, FLOOR on Fri Dec 21 2012

I've had an 04 Odyssey before and when I got the 01 I was pleasantly surprised that it was a four speed instead of a five speed automatic. The difference? Well with a four speed automatic you save on gas much more than I ever did with my five speed. Overall I'm loving my van.

Love my minivan!

by alba from PA on Mon Oct 01 2012

A few years ago (in the midst of dumping tons of money into our 2001 SAAB 9-3) I asked our mechanic what vehicles they didn't see much in their garage for repairs. He replied, Honda's, Toyota's and Suburu's. I then made up my mind that the next time I needed a different vehicle I was buying a Honda Odyssey. (We had owned a Ford minivan before the SAAB). We've only had our Honda a few weeks but so far we are very pleased with it. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles but it is a very quiet, comfortable ride. It handles well and I am so happy that we were able to find one in our price range. I will definitely be buying another one if the need arises.

Honda Odyssey

by Honda lover from TN on Mon Dec 13 2010

Great minivan. Plan to buy another when this one dies. Have 118000 miles on it now. No problems exceptregular maintanence

Best car we have owned

by JME from on Thu Dec 08 2011

My wife purchased a 2001 Odyssey in 2001. I didn't want her to get the automatic sliding doors, but they haven''t been troublesome. My only complaint is city mileage. She drove it daily to work averaging about 16 MPG, not very fuel efficient. On long highway trips we averaged 26 MPG consistently. We had 120,000 miles when an accident resulted in in enough damages for a total loss according to the insurance adjuster. This was disappointing. The interior was still fully intact and the exterior had only minor bumps and scratches. Mechanically it was still perfect. Our only maintenance was front brakes and oil changes. We had planned to drive it it another 120,000 miles.

Love our Odyssey

by Odyssey Fan from Kansas on Sat Jun 05 2010

This has to be the perfect family vehicle. Tons of room on the inside for passengers or luggage - almost a truck when you fold the 3rd row into the floor. Very comfortable. Very easy to drive. Great for road trips. We love it.

by Momoffour from Winston Salem, NC on Tue Feb 11 2014

This is a great vehicle for a great price. Dealer did a good job disclosing updates and mechanical maintenance.

Quirk or age bias?

by Timberwolfe from Madison, WI on Thu Oct 01 2009

Over the past 42 years, I have owned 13 vehicles. The first 5 of these were worn out or rusted out by 5 years/100000 mi. The next 5 made it more than 5 years but had major maintenance issues by 100000 mi. In 2001 I bought a Honda Odyssey that has been used more as a utility vehicle than a people hauler. Its towing package allows me to use it to haul building materials and the two sliding doors and hatch provide convenient access to tools and materials kept in a protected space. On a trip to Mexico City we averaged 27 mpg. Pulling a 1600 lb camper, that mileage drops to about 14 mpg but power has never been an issue. The Odyssey now has 105000 mi. I recently took it on a 3000 mi trip pulling a camper trailer to the west coast and back to WI with no anxiety about its reliability. It is, without a doubt, the most reliable vehicle I have owned. I just hope that in 8 years when I am ready to trade it in that its reliability turns out to be a trend and not a quirk.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2001 Honda Odyssey

PORT TOWNSEND, Wash. -- Were I to buy a minivan today -- and with two growing boys, that's not simply a rhetorical statement -- I'd pick the Honda Odyssey.

Why? Well, while I've been favorably impressed with the Odyssey on a couple of previous test drives, I recently had a chance to give it a more real-world evaluation. And, on a 13-day, 2,600-mile family road trip, the silver 2001 Honda Odyssey EX proved to be reliable, comfortable, practical and spacious. Other than a few minor knocks -- more on those later -- the Odyssey is the rare vehicle that delivers what it promises.

The drivetrain is excellent, with smooth power from the 210-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 engine and smooth shifts from... Read More