2001 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews

Change Year
2001 Honda Odyssey
3.9
Average based on 21 reviews

all oddysseys have transmission problems

by from Mount Holly NJ on October 4, 2010

I own 01 oddyssey and transmission is now need to be replaced. After some research and calls found out that these oddysseys all have transmission problem. Up until 07 they never fixed the problem. In 07 they replaced the transmission with the Honda Ridgeline transmission so they hoped to stop complaints by installing a truck transmission which is more heavy duty built by Honda. Unfortunately I have to fix this transmission and it will cost me almost $3,500. I dont recommend these models. I know every car has problems, but this one has it serious. Not one oddyssey pass 130,000 miles without transmission replaced. Most replace before 100K.

Great family get away vehicle.

by from Fort Worth, TX on June 1, 2011

Can't say enough about the Honda Odyssey. Was looking into getting a Dodge Caravan or Nissan Quest, but too many good reviews on the Odyssey changed my mind. I am so glad they did, great vehicle, good mileage, stylish, comfortable and has been very reliable. Have owned this vehicle for 5 months now and no issues (knock on wood). Thanks Honda!

Eats up Transmissions

by from Las Vegas, NV on February 11, 2010

The engine is great, and this van is wonderful on long road trips. The downside is the transmissions are BAD! I'm on my 4th tranny and Honda just seems to replace the transmission with another defective one. They last about 36,000 to 40,000 miles and then they begin to shift roughly. Honda has replaced them free, but on the last one they paid 75%, and I paid 25% The other problem are engine mounts. Maybe because I live in the desert, the heat wears the rubber out on the mounts, but I've replaced all but one..and now that one has gone bad. I've got 150,000 miles on this van now. I've got a 96 Ford Explorer and the only problem I've had is the fuel pump went out, and the window regulator on the driver's door has gone out. It has 140,000 miles on it and I trust it's reliability more so than on this Honda. I've heard so much about how "wonderful" Honda's are, but my experience has not been great. And this Honda has been maintained at the dealership since day 1!

Honda Odyssey

by from TN on December 13, 2010

Great minivan. Plan to buy another when this one dies. Have 118000 miles on it now. No problems exceptregular maintanence

Great on gas

by from Tampa, FLOOR on December 21, 2012

I've had an 04 Odyssey before and when I got the 01 I was pleasantly surprised that it was a four speed instead of a five speed automatic. The difference? Well with a four speed automatic you save on gas much more than I ever did with my five speed. Overall I'm loving my van.

Love the van!

by from Clarksville, TN on November 19, 2010

Awesome van. Exactly what we needed and wanted. The seller was super nice and we got a great deal. I would definitely buy through the website again!

Transmission

by from Col. Ohio on September 4, 2011

Nice car, original owner,3rd transmission. Needed upsized tires for traction control.Why did they continue with the oem part?

Loved My Lemon

by from Stewartsville, NJ on August 25, 2012

I bought a top of the line Odyssey brand new. I loved it for the first couple years. Then the transmission went at 80,000 miles. there had been a recall so Honda replaced it. 36,000 miles later that one went and I had to fight with them to pay for half of it. 23,000 miles later later that one went. Because I paid for half they replaced that one. It lasted a whopping 21,000 miles. Honda refused to replaced it. I also had some engine lights on, O2 sensor, knock sensor etc. I hope I didn't make a mistake but I bought an '04 to replace it. Supposedly they had completely redone the trans by then. I do love the interior and the drive of the Odyssey.

Love our Odyssey

by from Kansas on June 5, 2010

This has to be the perfect family vehicle. Tons of room on the inside for passengers or luggage - almost a truck when you fold the 3rd row into the floor. Very comfortable. Very easy to drive. Great for road trips. We love it.

Love my minivan!

by from PA on October 1, 2012

A few years ago (in the midst of dumping tons of money into our 2001 SAAB 9-3) I asked our mechanic what vehicles they didn't see much in their garage for repairs. He replied, Honda's, Toyota's and Suburu's. I then made up my mind that the next time I needed a different vehicle I was buying a Honda Odyssey. (We had owned a Ford minivan before the SAAB). We've only had our Honda a few weeks but so far we are very pleased with it. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles but it is a very quiet, comfortable ride. It handles well and I am so happy that we were able to find one in our price range. I will definitely be buying another one if the need arises.