2005 Odyssey

2005 Honda Odyssey

2005 Honda Odyssey

Have You Driven the 2005 Honda Odyssey?

Very impressive!

by Wrench from TN on Thu Jan 24 2013

I am an experienced mechanic. We traded in a 2008 Jetta with 63,000 miles for the 2005 Odyssey with 148,000 miles on it as we needed a van. Our VW consumed 1/4 quart of oil every 5,000 miles, but our Honda with over twice the mileage, uses none and still has OEM specs on compression on all 6 cylinders. Maintenance costs are low as these vans are exceptionally well engineered. With now over 300,000 on the clock, the investment has proven wise. There are two factors one should consider when buying a used car. The first is mechanical design. It is proven the Honda has you covered there. The second is its maintenance while driven. Many are fooled into thinking that milage is an indicator of condition. It is NOT! I have seen internal combustion engines destroyed in less than 30 miles. There are some with 300,000 on them with little mechanical wear. If you purchase an Odyssey, you will not be disappointed. Just ensure you take it to a competent wrench for a compression check and diagnostics as well. The Sienna is a great option as well. If you perform your own maintenance and repairs however, you will be much happier with the Honda as all components are quite simple and accessible. When it comes to style and cool cup holders, ask a soccer mom what is best. If you are looking for the best engineered van ever produced, you should take my advice and buy a Honda. Be cautioned however, that the "I" vtec models have a rear engine mount that costs a fortune and has been prone to cause some vibration. This extra mount absorbs vibration when three of the six cylinders shut down for fuel economy. The LX and EX models do not have this feature, therefore are more reliable. They do consume 1 to 2 more miles per gallon on the highway though. I bout an EX for this reason. Sometimes simple is better.

205K Miles and still going strong

by Mochisushi from Denver, CO on Sat May 07 2011

In Oct 2004, we purchased a new 2005 Odyssey EX-L with RES and Navi. The first one (first year model) in Desert Rock Metallic to be sold from our dealer. 6.5 years later, we're at 205K miles (~170K in city driving) and it's still running GREAT. Best of all, we've only had $750 in repairs (not maintenance) over that time. This includes: A/C Clutch, Battery Cables, Starter. It also tows our 18' Ski Boat during summer months. In February, we drove it from Denver to Ontario, CA and back. Not a single problem and ran smoothly, even in the 90 MPH range (a few times). I was able to take it with FULL CONFIDENCE that it would continue to be reliable. The one existing problem is the left sliding door won't unlock and therefore, it won't open. This happened around 30K miles ago and I just haven't taken the time to pull the panel off and find out why it's jammed. After having owned 15 Hondas since 1981, I can easily say this has been the most reliable. A remarkable claim considering the lack of problems with any of the previous ones.

Wow. What a van!

by Roundlakejim from Round Lake, IL on Sun Apr 22 2012

We have owned two Chrysler vans and a Toyotal Sienna. This one is the only one my wife really appreciated and loved. Reliablity is pretty much on top. We bought it pre-owned with 70K. We put another 70K on it in 3 years. There was no mechanical failure so far. We just did regular maintenance by following the maintenance schedule. We average around 19 to 20 mpg with combined city/hwy driving. Our van reached 24 mpg when driving strictly highway (70 mph with 5 people plus luggages). Hopefully we can drive this van to 200K+ miles.

Awesome Vehicle!

by baconcheeseburgerplease from Casa Grande, AZ on Fri Apr 14 2017

Love it my Honda! test drove it on the freeway which i course floored it and it was fast and smooth. A/C was the biggest factor, it was very cold and lots of air flow. Overall so far, it's the best one and my family love it.

Oh, Honda... SIGH. What a nightmare!

by Recovering Honda Owner from Pensacola, Fl. on Thu Sep 29 2016

I owned a Honda Civic before my 2005 Odyssey and that Civic was a beast. You couldn't kill that thing and it sipped gas... but, baby #3 came along and I found myself scrambling for something to fit 3 car seats into. Enter my Honda Odyssey nightmare. I couldn't find a Pilot without a billion miles on it in my price range at the time and I sucked it up and accepted that I would be... a van driving mom (oh, the horror! But, I digress). I found a black Odyssey with around 80k on the clock. I figured black would be about as cool as I was going to get (my mother had 2 kids and only drove Acura Integras so... it's a hereditary issue, I suppose) and the magic automatic sliding doors and heated seats- I have it admit, I was hooked. I was pretty far along in my pregnancy when I test drove it and that warm seat soothed my back so well I would be lying if I said I didn't buy it because of that feature alone. The ride is as smooth as a hot knife through butter and it will get up and go QUICK. At first, I was pretty proud of myself for stepping out and getting something so awesome! Then, the dreaded ECO motor mount went out. Not even 14 days into ownership and I'm out $650 for the part alone. So, on the EX-L and Touring versions (I believe the EX as well..) there's a feature you CANNOT shut off where if you are cruising at a steady speed, 3 cylinders shut off to save gas. Well, in order to offset the roughness of the cylinders turning off and on like that, there is a cushioned motor mount to absorb the vibration. Wellllll it's basically a rubber pillow filled with some kind of oily fluid and anything can cause it to rupture and then you are metal on metal every time the ECO kicks on and the vibration is so extreme you feel it in your shoulders while you are holding the steering wheel. Anything from constantly going over speed bumps can cause this stupid thing to pop. So, okay- I got it fixed everything is all good and a month later... the passenger side automatic sliding door stops working. So, I reset to fuse and all is well. Except now it must be reset every other open and close cycle of the door. There's no problem with the motor, nothing blocking anything and 3 Honda dealerships couldn't figure out the problem and suggested I keep resetting the fuse. Hummm, thanks guys! 4 months later, the catalytic converter poops out on me. $800 for that. Keep in mind, I paid $15k for this car and I'm 6 months into this and all this has happened. I'm also dumbfounded because my Civic was so fantastic all it ever required was fluids, tires, and brakes. NEVER a single repair on my little Civic... so I'm wondering what the heck is going on with this dang van! It this not a Honda? Am I being punked? Fast forward 2 years and I'm at 115k miles and I'm burning a quart of oil a week. No leaks, straight up burning it. And now I'm slipping in 2nd and 3rd gear. I poured oil in it and babied the transmission until 135k miles and sold it to a dealer for $2,500 and never looked back. After a timing belt (didn't break, I did that as a preventative measure- but it's ridiculous on a car these days; my Civic had a chain), all the other repairs (motor mount, cat converter, water pump, TONS of oil, I can go on...) AND the paint was peeling off in sheets- I'm done with Honda. My husband's Chevy Silverado has over 200k miles and has never needed anything other than brakes, tires, regular oil changes and a battery or two. It was VERY comfortable to drive and ride in, awesome features for the kids with the seats, lots of cup holders and storage cubbies- but was extremely unreliable, especially for a Honda product. I wish I would have done more research on this particular year of this model, I'm hardly the only one with these same problems on the 2005. American made, here I come!

Does not recommend this car!!

good for family

by seeyagt from overland park ks on Wed Jun 28 2017

Highs: Comfortable seats, supremely quiet, taut suspension, improved infotainment. Lows: Side view looks as if designers were assigned a crease quota, second-row

Still in love

by THawks from Liberty Hill, TX on Thu May 04 2017

After over 8 years I still love this vehicle. It moved a family of three around town on daily chores comfortably and reliably. It moved us from North Carolina to Connecticut and from Connecticut to Texas without a single worry. With regular maintenance this is hands down the best, most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned and I say every day when I get in it "I love my van."

one of the most reliable vehicles i have ever owne

by curtismik5 from Saucier,MS on Sun May 07 2017

I love it. it is the first one I have ever owned . When I get ready to buy another vehicle it will be another Honda oddessey

Best vehicle I have ever had!

by Momdrivesaminivan from Wisconsin on Wed Jul 12 2017

We bought the EX model brand new in June of 2005, when my twins were 3 yrs old. Currently has almost 172,000 miles on it and we are planning on our kids driving next year when they get their licenses. Absolutely love this van. Reliability has been excellent, other than the power steering has been out for a few years.-I'm just too cheap to pay the $500+ to fix that. The single disc CD player was always a bit finicky, and finally quit working completely a few months ago. We have driven this van all over the country, never had a mechanical problem. A bit of rust started last year, but we live in Wisconsin so that's not surprising on a vehicle this age.

Reliable great family car.

by ODYSSEYFAN from San Francisco on Fri Jun 16 2017

The Honda Odyssey is a reliable stylish spacious leader in the mini-van pack. You will not regret an Odyssey if you are looking for a mini-an.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2005 Honda Odyssey

I'm the first to admit that while I can fully appreciate minivans, I can't appreciate the need for one.

Maybe it's because I spend so much time driving, stuck behind a blobby-butted minivan festooned with bumper stickers telling either something I don't want to know (''My son is an honor student at Upsy-Daisy Day School'') or some useless saying masquerading as general wisdom (''Meat is murder'').

Or maybe it's because I don't have the usual 2.5 kids and the vast acreage of stuff parents insist on toting along wherever they go with said offspring.

OK, guilty as charged.

But really, the all-new 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan is a very large vehicle, especially for one with a Honda tag. At over 77 inches wide... Read More