Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2006 Pilot

2006 Honda Pilot

2006 Honda Pilot

4.5

Have You Driven the 2006 Honda Pilot?

good for the dollar.

by pepe from Colorado on Thu May 06 2010

Totalled my yukon xl. Insurance only gave me a smidgin of what that was worth! So for the amount I pd. I got a very reliable pilot, exl version, 4x4. Love Honda! Also have an accord. Handles almost the same. A little rough on some turns. Not too crazy about the stereo, must be upgraded. Comfortable chairs. Dvd player, and it fits all of my 4 children comfortably. A little snug in the back seat, thats for the smaller kids. Overall, I am happy with my pilot. Well worth the money!!!

awesome utility and value for money

by kayaking from Toronto on Tue Sep 29 2009

Have a growing fam with 3 kido's and we just totaled an '03 pilot on the highway. The safety did its job and no one injured other than some whiplash. Got the insurance money which demonstrated the resale value is VERY HIGH - so it retains its value well. Then took that money and bought a used 2006 which gets the drive by wire and VSA, and curtain airbags, and lots of other niceties - including RES, and XM all for 20k. Compared a used 06 pilot against an Explorer, a Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia, Hilander, pathfinder, nothing could match the utility, value for money, and quality of even a used pilot!

very pleased

by san diego driver from San Diego on Sat Aug 08 2009

I have the 4WD 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L with Navi which I purchased in Nov '05, and have gone everywhere with it (now at 61,000 miles). I might add that this is my 4th Honda as I really appreciate their reliability. Mechanically speaking I've been very pleased with this vehicle. Only repairs were two window replacements (highway rocks thrown against the glass cracked them) and tires replaced at about 60,000 miles with Michelin truck tires for more reliability on dirt roads. I love the navigation system and think it's better than other navi systems I've seen. The voice recognition makes enough mistakes (or I do) so that it's not super reliable, but all in all it's worked pretty well for us; we generally input information via the touchscreen. We use it a lot for vacation travel as well as going to work. I wish it had better gas mileage (seems to get about 17-18 miles combined driving, 18-20 highway)and I wish it was a true off-road vehicle like a jeep (the Pilot is better suited to dirt roads with small to medium ruts as opposed to true off roading) and putting the car into first gear for radical downhill roads will still require you to ride the brakes. However, I'm not willing to put up with the poor gas mileage and terrible reliability ratings of the jeep products, so I make the Pilot work for me, and only drive jeeps for rental vehicles. My husb is 5'11 and I'm 5'4, and one of the reasons we liked this vehicle is that with the middle and back seats down, it's got about a 4 1/2'x6' interior space that we can sleep in if we're on the road and want to sleep in back without putting up the tent. We purchased a full sized foam futon mattress that is 4'x6' and folds into thirds that we take with us on trips...it's about 6" thick, and makes a very comfortable bed for us in the tent or in the back of the car when unfolded.

Great mountain vehicle

by Tomm from Colorado on Wed Dec 12 2012

Love this vehicle. I live in Colorado and go to the mtns. regularly. Accelerates UP the passes past others on the highway with 4 people and gear in it. Took me over moderately snowy 4WD passes where there were signs of multiple other vehicles having had to back down/turn around. Very comfortable and my mid 80's parents love to ride in it. Great windows and passengers get full views even sitting in the third row seats.

Great Vehicle

by Randy from Virginia on Tue Dec 16 2008

I absolutely love my Honda Pilot. It took my wife and I one test drive to fall in love with it. THe handling is wonderful. My wife loves small cars and has no problems driving the Pilot. The handling is great. The vehicle is very comfortable. We have taken it on several road trips and always have plenty of space to be comfortable while carrying luggage. We have also been able to make a 3 hour trip to IKEA and brought back a lot of furniture in the vehicle. Even with both back rows folded down and loaded up with furniture the Pilot had no problems kicking up plenty of power to accelerate around those drivers that want to drive slow but try to speed up to keep you behind them. The only negative with the vehicle is that you do notice how top heavy it is on the tight interstate exits, but that is me comparing it to my Accord. The remedy to this is simply slowing down. So far it has performed great in the winter weather but luckily I have not had any scares that have turned the safety features on. I bought it after talking to other Pilot owners who love their vehicle. I had my in-laws over for Thanksgiving and my father in-law is on his second 4Runner and was so impressed by our Pilot that he is looking at buying one himself.

Love those Hondas

by Big Fish from Shreveport, LA. on Mon May 07 2012

They never let us down !!! Have owned 5 Honda products, and are by far the most dependable, value rated vehicles we've owned.

Excellent Vehicle to Replace Minivan

by HR6895 from PA on Sun Jul 02 2006

Drove first 3K on our 2006 Pilot LX 4WD, Got between 18 to 25 MPG on Local/Highway to highway miles on our first long distance trip. Runs solid as expected. Felt some road noise, suspension makes some noise when 5 passangers in vehicle, Heard clunk noise from underneath sometimes, may be common during breaking in period.

First Foreign Car

by First Honda from Montgomery, AL on Fri Aug 21 2009

I have been extremely pleased with my 2006 Honda Pilot that I have owned nearly a year now. I have the EXL I believe it is called. 4 wheel drive leather navigation system. The thing that I wish would be improved that I have noticed so far is that the controls on the steering wheel do not light up at nite. Making it difficult as to which button to push cant see them. I would definitly get another one. The ride is great.

Mom of 4 loves her pilot! No more minivan!

by Kristi from Cincinnati, OH on Sat Oct 21 2006

I love my Pilot! I bought a used 2003 from a dealer with 37K. I had a Chevy Venture for 5 years and was totally sick of it. What I found in the Pilot was the same amount of space for hauling kids (it seats 8) with slightly less room for groceries in the back. The second row seats slide forward for easy access to the third row. It is not too high, like many SUV's and it drives like a car. The center console is what sold me. I hated the wasted space in my van--so many things got lost down there and under the seats. Everything is ergonomic and comfortable. Mine has leather, but none of the other goodies, like Navigation or DVD. It has plenty of get up and go! I had originally wanted an Envoy or Trailblazer but didn't like the third row seats in them. The Explorer didn't even rate, in my book. When you look at the Pilot and these others side by side, and throw in Honda's reliability, you'll be sold!

Very Reliable, Functional and Economical

by JamesB17 from Lexington, KY on Thu Jun 29 2017

This vehicle served our family well for more than 10 years and still has plenty of life. It is a great travel vehicle. Can be used to haul or even carry a small sports team to and from games. Never had to use it in deep snow until 2015 and the vehicle traction was better than my Jeep. With the right truck tires it handles and rides great. And of course, it is very reliable.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2006 Honda Pilot

One of the best has been made even better for 2006.The Pilot, Honda's midsize crossover sport utility, got a facelift and some other improvements as it entered its fourth year on the market.

Already arguably one of the most practical SUVs around, the Pilot for 2006 has more standard features, along with some exterior tweaks that Honda says were intended to give the vehicle a new "Honda truck family appearance."

What that means is that the vehicle now looks much like the new Honda pickup that was introduced last year, the Ridgeline, which essentially is just a Pilot with the area behind the second row of seats cut out to create a pickup bed. The exterior changes include a revised grille, hood, fenders... Read More