Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2013 Pilot

2013 Honda Pilot

Have You Driven the 2013 Honda Pilot?

Reliability and Style

by Mom of Three from Kansas City on Sun May 12 2013

After my Acadia's transmission died while on my way to dropping off my three kids, I realized I needed a reliable car. I looked at the Toyota Highlander, Toyota Forerunner, and the Honda Pilot. I must say I went with the Pilot Ex-L, I thought it beat the Highlander and the Forerunner in both style, price and features. With leather and sun-roof, more cargo room, and a usable third row (eight passengers!!!), I paid $4000 less than I would have for the Highlander and $6000 less than the Forerunner. The 2013 is a redesign, and Honda really listened to what people want in terms of a usable and substantial third row; the 2011 I looked at a couple of years ago had a flimsy third row and less cargo space, two very important features for a mom of three. The Pilot has way more cargo room than the other third row SUVs; when you lift the floor in the back, the cargo space is deeper and allows for plenty more room. Also, the third row seats are substantially more comfortable and usable than the Toyota SUVs. The Acadia was comparable. With three kids plus friends and family, I need all the usable space I can get, as well as the ability to SEPARATE my kids so they don't harass each other as easily. As far as the style, I absolutely LOVE the boxy exterior, it looks rugged and less like a minivan than the Toyotas or even the Acadia and the Traverse. It reminds me of a Jeep Patriot, and seems more SUV than crossover. I love the interior storage space, there are plenty of ledges and places to put your phone, sunglasses, mints, gum, wipes, snacks, etc. And the style of the speedometer and fuel gauge, etc has a retro look, which is very appealing to me. It reminded me of the BMW Mini-Cooper when it first came out. Finally, the ride is smooth, I wouldn't say it is the quietest ride, and not the peppiest car, but it does have more pep that the Acadia. And the ECO feature allows you to save on gas mileage if you use it correctly. I am still learning how to do that. Overall I really think the Honda Pilot can't be beat for reliability, features, style and cost.

one safe vehicle I was the crash test dummy

by bassmanpaul from Kansas City, KS on Tue Nov 19 2013

I just replaced my beloved 2013 Honda Pilot with a new 2014 Honda Pilot due to a car accident. I was t boned at 45 mph by a Ford F150 truck. I was hit at the drivers seat. All side air bags deployed and I walked away with just a bruise from my seat belt. I was hit so hard it knocked my vehicle up onto the side walk. My 2013 had only 12000 miles on it and was totalled by the insurance company. I can say without a doubt this is one safe vehicle. The fit and finish of this vehicle is second to none. This is one quality product. It pulls my small bass boat well at 2700 pounds without feeling it behind the vehicle. I love this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. Thank you Honda for making a safe vehicle.

GREAT WONDERFUL

by Ang74 from NC on Sun Dec 30 2012

I purchased my 2013 Honda Pilot Nov 23, 2012...LOVE IT. Went from an Accord to the pilot for room....of course the pilot doesnt get as great gas mileage as the accord...but it makes up in room...and performance. Very comfortable ride and style. Love it..glad I made the purchase

by Honda Supporter from CT on Tue Jan 15 2013

My wife and I are very pleased with our Pilot purchase. It was between the traverse, CX9 and pilot. Between standard options, price and reliability it was a no brainer. The only downfall is the interior styling, outdated and very plasticity feel.

Best alternative to a minivan for comparable cost

by Minivan Hater from Upstate, ny on Wed Jan 02 2013

As a family that has 3 kids and needs the 3rd row, this car has everything we need. Extremely comfortable, great standard features, super roomy and at the right price. Strongly recommend to anyone looking for a 3rd row SUV.

Great SUV

by Dietz from Saratoga, NY on Tue Jan 01 2013

The pilot is well designed and extremely comfortable. After comparing to all others in its class I felt the Pilot is the best value for the money. My only negative comment is that I fell it may be a little underpowered thus affecting the gas mileage.

INCREDIBLE CAR

by SANDI from Scottsdale, AZ on Mon Aug 05 2013

I have always owned Mercedes and Cadillac thinking the features and comfort had to be better since they were considerably more expensive. I was totally mistaken. The comfort and features in my new Honda Pilot surpassed both in every category. I took it on a long trip to break it in and the seats were the most comfortable seats I have ever been not to mention it was incredibly quiet! Wonderful Car.

Most reliable car

by sreenath v from los angeles on Wed Mar 20 2013

Initially when i searched online for price, it was out of my budget. So decided to go with Base model KIA Sorento (heard from friends that its cheaper with more features, 10 years basic waranty). When i test drive KIA Sorento 7 seater, the 3rd row is purely for kids, so its really not a 7 seater. 7 Seater KIA is charged little more, plus i wanted back up camera which comes in as a package which costs 2k. All in all it was coming to 26.5k + Tax + DMV => ~30k. Then I wanted to give a try with Nissan and infact Nissan has good name compared to KIA and the real 7 seater was infact was coming little lesser than KIA. Since i reached to Nissan, I visited Honda and test drive Pilot (base model has backup camera + bluetooth) with price negotiated to $27.5k. I visted Toyota which was next to Nissan and Honda dealers. Toyota sales rep was so rude I can say...he asked which car are you looking for, I said Highlander. He asked, will you buy now, I said let me test drive, he said he is busy come tomorrow. I said Thank you very much... Next saturday went to Honda and brought Pilot with onroad price for $31.5k !!!

Second time around

by PilotPilot from Pennsylvania on Mon Feb 01 2016

I traded a 2006 Pilot - bought used and kept for 6 years - for a used 2013 EX. Considered the LX briefly but there was a large drop-off in standard features between the two models. The EX rides nicely and is well equipped with Blue Tooth, back-up camera, separate temperature zones, 3rd row integrated head rests (no more removing them to fully fold down the 3rd row), and numerous other features that make it a fun car to own. More an observation than criticism, but it seems to ride much higher than my old Pilot. Styling is sort of big and boxy, but I'm willing to trade the look for the convenience of 8-passenger seating and more than ample storage. Hope to have it for some time to come.

117,000 miles - maintenance only and no repairs!

by MNWaterguy from Central MN on Wed May 23 2018

Headroom is great - I'm 6'3 - and for a down-sized SUV (I previously owned a Ford Expedition), the Pilot does everything I ask. Roomy, pulls my boat, comfortable on long trips. 117,000 miles and the brakes still do not require replacement and all I've done is ensured I perform all recommended maintenance. I'll won't be surprised if this thing passes 300,000 miles without any major repair - it's that well engineered.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Our Take on the 2013 Honda Pilot

Editor's note: This review was written in October 2011 about the 2012 Honda Pilot. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2013, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Thanks to a few small changes inside, outside and under the hood for 2012, the Honda Pilot remains a top performer among large SUVs with three rows of seats.

When compared with six other vehicles in our $37,000 SUV Shootout — including some newer and more recently redesigned models — the Pilot took first place. The secret of its success is doing virtually everything well and offering more standard features than we've come to expect in a Honda at... Read More