2000 Accent

2000 Hyundai Accent

2000 Hyundai Accent

3.7

Have You Driven the 2000 Hyundai Accent?

Not bad...

by Long Distance Commuter from Monee, IL on Wed May 31 2006

I got this car while I was in college because it was the cheapest brand new car out there. Cons: little 13 inch wheels look like you are driving a clown car; steering wheel is also tiny, and the top of that steering wheel has worn out pretty bad in the past 6 years; not a lot of interior space; I did have to have the transmission replaced once, but I didn't have to buy any $500 belt like the guy in the last review. They just replaced it at about 50,000 miles; small engine means that you aren't going to blow anyone away off the line Pros: great gas mileage due to above-mentioned small engine(I read the last review, but I actually have been getting 38 MPG because I only drive highway, and I keep my car up-to-date on scheduled maintenance); because it's small, no one wants you to give them a ride anywhere; great for someone who has a long commute becuase it's not entirely uncomfortable (I have a 75 minute commute and I'm fine after I'm done). Overall, this was a good car in my opinion, as long as you keep it up. I'll bet the newer Accent has been improved upon.

Good car for the money

by Single mom from Louisiana on Thu Jul 15 2010

I own a 2002 3 door like the one pictured here. This was my first new car that I bought for myself. I have 93,000 miles on it now and it still runs great. Some of the maintenance costs get a little expensive( about 400-500 dollars)to keep the cars 30,000 ,60,000 etc.. maintenance up, but I have never been stranded in this car. I have driven from California to Louisiana , Louisiana to Utah and back with no problems. This is my one and only car and I will buy another Hyundai Accent when this one just can't run anymore. The drop down back seat has been great because I can get alot of things in the car when I need to. It also has the original brakes and brake pads.

You get what you put into it.

by Sparky from minnesota on Thu Sep 25 2014

It's a reliable car that gets great gas mileage. Ultimately with a car like this, it comes down to how you drive the car and how well you take care of it, but that goes with any car. I've driven mine from 130,000 to 186,000. My first year had all sorts of repairs, but it's because they were all overdue and it was about that time in the car's life. I've had nearly 4 years without major issue with the car aside from regular maintenance and one scheduled maintenance fix. My advice is to get the manual version of this car, always drive it like grandma was carpooling that day, and don't neglect it. If you're in a winter climate, get a battery wrap and magnetic attachable oil pan heater to decrease engine stress and lengthen car life. Ultimately, this car is cheaper, but with a potential to cost a lot less per mile over the life of the vehicle. Some Pros: Cheap to buy used, parts are reasonable, It has the potential for longevity. I got 40 mpg city/hwy combined with hypermiling techniques I met a guy who drove his to 270,000 miles. Some Cons: The engine seems sturdy, but everything else has a cheap feel to it. If you don't take care of it, it could cost you.

Nice Car for my daughter

by Cburney from ANTELOPE on Thu Apr 19 2018

My daughter fell in love with the car and I took her back to purchase it. The only issue is that the check engine light came on within 2 hours of us buying it. We are taking it to a mechanic this weekend with the code we received, but hoping nothing major is wrong with the car. I understand we bought it AS-IS, but it is disappointing to have to deal with maintenance already. The guys in the office were nice and the process was fast. If not for the engine light coming on I would have given 5 stars.

Family car

by Ahmad from Malaysia on Mon Jun 15 2009

If you have a new born baby i recomend Hyundai Accent . comfort,quite and temp. control are yours.

Great car for the price

by White Wolf from Traverse City, MI on Wed Sep 19 2012

Lets be honest it's a cheap car, but for a college student like me that travels it is a great "college kid" car.

After 230.000 Km

by Accent Owner from on Tue Oct 11 2011

A really "honest" Low cost car. I own a 2000 model 5 door Accent for family transport,and work as well. After 11 years of moderate use I needed a gear box replacement, a set of absorbers, and louter front suspension parts which were worn. About mileage, I've managed down to 6,2 liters/100 Km on the highway For all the above I,m quite satisfied

accent bought new in 2000 first new car

by hyundai happy man from canaan new hampshire on Tue Jul 25 2017

over all its been a fun little car to drive . i bought this new when i was 35 my first new car it was reasonably priced with a decent warranty . i dont care what kind of car you buy all the warranties have some loopholes to them. my main complaint with this car is the engines power it struggles merging on freeway and starting up steep hills it works too hard once you get going its fine cruising speed in overdrive , people must have complained 2-3 years later they upped the horse power from 92 to 115 , one word of advice donot ignore the scheduled maintenance or replace with aftermarket parts . hyundais for some reason donot function well with aftermarket.. my car has now 149.000 miles on it but i have gone above and beyond the call of taken good care of it and given the proper pm maintenance..i also drive it easy they wont take a lot of abuse, i also never drove this car in the winter .that makes a lot of difference that was what my 91 escort was for ..the hyundai is a better car if you compared and ive been a ford guy all my life, ive also kept it garaged still the same automatic transmission .one down fall with the trans you cant change the filter .you would have to take the tranny apart so i change fluid every 2-3 years cheap maintenance compared with a new transmission..................overall its been i decent car but then again no one takes care of a car like i do...........................

a civic costs 4 grand more because it's worth it!

by works on my own cars from upstate ny on Fri Aug 10 2007

I inherited this car from my mother in law, there are things to like about it, it is easy on gas brakes and tires, however it is about as comfortable as a vespa scooter and feels about as stable at highway speeds. it is especialy vaugue and drifty when cornering. Reliability: In my opinion the "best waranty in America" statement fails to adress who it is best for, (it's the dealer) the waranty is frought with small print and loopholes for the company to weasel out. just like all waranties. Oh and if you have a standard plan on getting the clutch replaced just north of 100k miles. The clutch disc and preasure plate will be pristine, but the throwout bearing which is made out of plastic will have melted into a blob and destroyed the slave cylindar in the proces. plan on paying over 500 dollars for the repair. in my opinion while the civic and the accent may be similay on paper, the civic is a far superior product, in handling, comfort, fit and finish and above all buletproof reliability!

Does not recommend this car!!

Oh my gawd!!!! Not a good car.

by Greg from San Diego, CA on Thu May 25 2006

I've had four or five trasmissions replaced in this car and countless other failures have happened as well. I get about 25 mpg average. Please read the fine print, Hyundai makes you by a $500+ belt to keep your 100,000 mile warranty in tact or else it goes out the window.

1 2

Our Take on the 2000 Hyundai Accent

I love underdogs, the people chosen to lose. It stems from my belief in the human spirit, the faith that persistence, intelligence and imagination can turn anyone into a winner.

Underdogs, in that regard, actually have an advantage. Opponents tend to play them for fools, to discount their intelligence and imagination, to underestimate their desire to succeed. That allows underdogs to win by stealth.

Hyundai Motor Co. is a case in point.

Once the butt of jokes on late-night talk shows, the company saw its U.S. sales rise by 82 percent last year. Nobody laughed at that. Everybody took notice.

Hyundai's comeback from its failed days of the early 1990s was powered by new products and marketing savvy... Read More