2002 Elantra

3.6 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
3.8 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money

All Reviews

Wouldn't trade for any car in the world

by Import Motor Head from Missouri on February 21, 2010

I bought my 02 Elantra GT wile working at a Hyundai auto detail co. It was a trade in that I had to pick up from a lot a few blocks away from our shop, As soon as I hit the main road back I put it in first(5spd) and hit the go pedal and new this was the car for me, I never thought a little Hyundai hatchback had any HP tell this car, If you think you have to spend lots of money to get quality, Well I got dark blue real leather interior, digital gages that tell me I'm getting 23.7 mpg's and how far tell I run out of gas, Heated mirrors, independent suspension, four wheel disk brakes, Front and side impact airbags, 2.0L 16V DOHC 140 stock HP, fog lights, + all the little things, power windows, cd player with great speakers ext. All for under 20K. I've had my elantra for four years It is now a 8 year old car, And only replaced the clutch, Great performance, Great style, Great car. HYUNDAI ROCKS

Honda in disguise

by Painfully Practical from KC, MO on February 21, 2009

Great car. I have the hatchback GT model. It is very nice, handles well, good power. I have put 187,000 on it and had no mechanical trouble. The price is excellent. I really believe Hyundai will soon take its place beside Toyota and Honda and will adjust its price accordingly- but for now you get the same quality of car for half the price.

Incredible value

by kelb from Philadelphia on December 29, 2008

We bought the 2992 Elantra GT new for around $14,000, and it is the best car for the money that I have ever owned. When our twin daughters started driving, they preferred driving the Elantra to my Saab Turbo. The car quickly became theirs, and it was also the perfect car for new drivers. Easy to drive, and a tough car. Their first outing in the snow, they slid off the road and hit a tree. Damage to the car: one small black smudge on the bumper. If you are buying an Elantra be sure to check out the GT option - the styling is much sharper than the base Elantra, and it is loaded with standard features such as ABS, sport suspension, and even leather seats. We now have logged 87,000 miles on the car and the performance is not much different than new. The exhaust is starting to make a little noise so will probably need to be replaced soon. When we bought the car - our first Hyundai - I remember remarking that if a car company was going to offer a 100,000 mile warranty, they had to be building a good car. Our maintenance has consisted of regular oil changes, plus returning to the dealer for recommended major services. It has never broken down or run poorly. We have driven the Ford Focus and VW Jetta, and they are just not in the same class as this amazing car.

Great Choice

by GG from Bellevue, NE on October 9, 2012

I agonize over major purchases and did a lot of research before I finally bought my 02 Elantra GT in May of 2002. Absolutely no regrets. It has been a really great car in every respect. For nearly every car the hatchback model is the way to go. Lots of room for even bulky items. This particular car, now over 10 years old with almost 92K miles, looks and runs like new.

Very good car and low cost

by polanco from El Salvador on December 10, 2008

Realy I can never understand why this car value is low, because I saw the mechanich detailis and are excelent. We just have to have carefuly care with de plastics parts; but the special silicon helps a lot. VERY GOOD CAR ang I consider it the new best used car option by the low cost and good results.

It was okay

by Codust from ohio on January 29, 2010

I had an 02 GT and after about 80,000 miles it cost about 2,000 a year in repairs for no valid reason. It literally just started failing and falling apart.

Does not recommend this car!!

Superb so far

by Pseudo-mechanic from CA on January 18, 2007

This has been a terrific car for five years now. With nearly 85,000 miles, no major maintenance has been recorded (I'm the second owner) and even the timing belt has yet to be changed. The handling is taut and suspension just right. Gas mileage could be better (24/30), but still not bad for a car of this age. Hoping for another 85k miles, but we'll see...

It lasted 15 years without any major problems

by OldPossum from Ft.Lauderdale, FL on May 3, 2017

Very simple design and parts and, maybe, because of that highly reliable model. Very easy to DIY fixing and replacing minor parts. Minimum features and services means minimum points of failure. It lasted 15 years (125,000 mi) without any major problems. The most complex repairs/services during these years were AC compressor and timing belt replacements. And it died at once (literally in a couple of days) without sucking money for several years for expensive repairs. Week point: poor external paint quality (gets bold quite quickly in sunny climates).

the hyundai 2002

by car enthusiast yes i am from myrtle beach soutyh carolina on August 6, 2009

the 2002 hyundai 4 door car we own has been one of the best cars we have owned to date without a doubt. we reccommend this car to all. i hope we canj maybe upgrade to a 2009 hyundai or maybe a 2010.we really love this car. kampsamida or thanks to that auto maker.

Poor Reliability

by Gretchen from Brunswick, ME on June 11, 2012

I purchased my 2002 Hyundai Elantra when it was five years old. The design of the car and features are decent for the class and gas mileage is pretty good (when working properly). I was wondering, when I bought It, why the price was so low compared to Hondas, Toyotas or Chevys of the same year and similar mileage. I soon found out as the car continued to have problem after problem. Reliability in at least this year Hyundai is terrible. The suspension arm broke (thankfully a recall as I had to have a rental for weeks), the cylinder head went, coil, gas pan strap and when I finally retired the car for a 2012 Honda Fit it had a loud clunking sound near the left front tire. There were more issues that I can?t even remember, but the car was a constant trip to the repair shop and a drain on the wallet. I was very happy to turn it in for something reliable.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2