Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2002 Elantra

2002 Hyundai Elantra

$815 - $4,751  MSRP Range
2002 Hyundai Elantra

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Comfort
4 out of 5 stars Reliability
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2002 Hyundai Elantra?

Wouldn't trade for any car in the world

by Import Motor Head from Missouri on Sun Feb 21 2010

I bought my 02 Elantra GT wile working at a Hyundai auto detail co. It was a trade in that I had to pick up from a lot a few blocks away from our shop, As soon as I hit the main road back I put it in first(5spd) and hit the go pedal and new this was the car for me, I never thought a little Hyundai hatchback had any HP tell this car, If you think you have to spend lots of money to get quality, Well I got dark blue real leather interior, digital gages that tell me I'm getting 23.7 mpg's and how far tell I run out of gas, Heated mirrors, independent suspension, four wheel disk brakes, Front and side impact airbags, 2.0L 16V DOHC 140 stock HP, fog lights, + all the little things, power windows, cd player with great speakers ext. All for under 20K. I've had my elantra for four years It is now a 8 year old car, And only replaced the clutch, Great performance, Great style, Great car. HYUNDAI ROCKS

Great car to begin with

by Jneveln from Springfield mo on Tue Mar 06 2018

This was my second car that I had. My first was an 89 Chevy Silverado which was a mess. My grandma gave me this car and it has lasted me for years. It will always get you where you need to go and it won’t crud out on you.

Incredible value

by kelb from Philadelphia on Mon Dec 29 2008

We bought the 2992 Elantra GT new for around $14,000, and it is the best car for the money that I have ever owned. When our twin daughters started driving, they preferred driving the Elantra to my Saab Turbo. The car quickly became theirs, and it was also the perfect car for new drivers. Easy to drive, and a tough car. Their first outing in the snow, they slid off the road and hit a tree. Damage to the car: one small black smudge on the bumper. If you are buying an Elantra be sure to check out the GT option - the styling is much sharper than the base Elantra, and it is loaded with standard features such as ABS, sport suspension, and even leather seats. We now have logged 87,000 miles on the car and the performance is not much different than new. The exhaust is starting to make a little noise so will probably need to be replaced soon. When we bought the car - our first Hyundai - I remember remarking that if a car company was going to offer a 100,000 mile warranty, they had to be building a good car. Our maintenance has consisted of regular oil changes, plus returning to the dealer for recommended major services. It has never broken down or run poorly. We have driven the Ford Focus and VW Jetta, and they are just not in the same class as this amazing car.

Very good car and low cost

by polanco from El Salvador on Wed Dec 10 2008

Realy I can never understand why this car value is low, because I saw the mechanich detailis and are excelent. We just have to have carefuly care with de plastics parts; but the special silicon helps a lot. VERY GOOD CAR ang I consider it the new best used car option by the low cost and good results.

Great Choice

by GG from Bellevue, NE on Tue Oct 09 2012

I agonize over major purchases and did a lot of research before I finally bought my 02 Elantra GT in May of 2002. Absolutely no regrets. It has been a really great car in every respect. For nearly every car the hatchback model is the way to go. Lots of room for even bulky items. This particular car, now over 10 years old with almost 92K miles, looks and runs like new.

It lasted 15 years without any major problems

by OldPossum from Ft.Lauderdale, FL on Wed May 03 2017

Very simple design and parts and, maybe, because of that highly reliable model. Very easy to DIY fixing and replacing minor parts. Minimum features and services means minimum points of failure. It lasted 15 years (125,000 mi) without any major problems. The most complex repairs/services during these years were AC compressor and timing belt replacements. And it died at once (literally in a couple of days) without sucking money for several years for expensive repairs. Week point: poor external paint quality (gets bold quite quickly in sunny climates).

Superb so far

by Pseudo-mechanic from CA on Thu Jan 18 2007

This has been a terrific car for five years now. With nearly 85,000 miles, no major maintenance has been recorded (I'm the second owner) and even the timing belt has yet to be changed. The handling is taut and suspension just right. Gas mileage could be better (24/30), but still not bad for a car of this age. Hoping for another 85k miles, but we'll see...

Starts when I put the key in

by Dragonwriter on Sun Jan 14 2018

This car has a lot of room. It looks small on the outside, but can fit three kids in the back. I'm never worried that it won't start and the heating system and gauges are awesome.

the hyundai 2002

by car enthusiast yes i am from myrtle beach soutyh carolina on Thu Aug 06 2009

the 2002 hyundai 4 door car we own has been one of the best cars we have owned to date without a doubt. we reccommend this car to all. i hope we canj maybe upgrade to a 2009 hyundai or maybe a 2010.we really love this car. kampsamida or thanks to that auto maker.

Up to any task

by eyros2k from Victorville, CA on Mon Jun 19 2017

Having kept up on maintenance the car honestly still drives like new 15 years later. The only component failures we've had was an alternator around 9 years and an engine speed sensor here in the 15th year. With leather seats, keyless entry, power windows and a moonroof this car was/is quite well equipped for the price as new or what you'll find them for used today. Huge storage from the hatchback design. What more could you ask for?

1 2

Our Take on the 2002 Hyundai Elantra

Few of the cars which have had a GT label applied to them have really been Grand Touring machines, so I can't kvetch too much about Hyundai misappropriating the designator - big time.

The Elantra GT is hardly a vehicle in which you'd want to spend a great deal of time devouring long distances.

But it is a car which should strike fear in the hearts of competitors, not so much for what it is, but for what it augurs about the major Korean manufacturer's ability to contain costs while producing a desirable product.

Given its price point and execution, it is truly one which exceeds expectations, in all but one crucial area.

Introduced for the 2002 model year, the Elantra GT is based on the same platform used... Read More