2001 Santa Fe

$970 - $5,658  MSRP Range
2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe?

This Car Helped Save My Life

by Lucky to be Alive from Pennsylvania on Fri Oct 27 2006

Got off to a rough start with this vehicle. Some kind of a defect in the engine caused it to seize and fail shortly after I bought it. With a whole lot of perseverence, the company honored its warranty and repaired everything basically from the inside out. After nearly two years of trouble-free driving, and great gas mileage to boot, I was involved in a rollover crash. Amazingly, this car helped save my life. After rolling over one and a half times, I landed on the roof and skid some 200 feet -- face first -- down an interstate. Although I could see glass and sparks very close to my face, the car held up incredibly well. I was able to walk away with my life. The airbags did not deploy, but the restraint system made sure I wasn't going anywhere. In fact, I had a little trouble getting the seatbelt loose after the crash. Chalk up a big plus for Hyundai's safety rating on this one!

2001 santa fe

by hairraiser from Vineyard Haven, MA on Wed Mar 24 2010

I bought this car new, the initial year for the model. After about 2 1/2 years, so many things went wrong with it that I feared I'd made a terrible mistake in buying it. However, after all the things that went wrong (and I have a file full of repair invoices!) the best warranty in car history paid for all the repairs. Sticking EGR valve, replaced EGR solonoid and ignition coil, timing belt had 2 teeth missing, replaced timing cover all at 32,710 miles, just over 3 years old in 2/04. In 11/04, timing belt tensioner replaced and 2 ACC belts. 1/05 replaced throwout bearing and new clutch because original ruined by throwout bearing and one front brake pad broken in two. 3/05 gear shift pops out of gear!! Transmission low on fluid due to leaking axle seal. Also at this time, replaced sway bar bushings. Loose tensioner found to make pulley crooked and caused a belt to fray: new drive belt installed. Now 7/05 my car died on the road! They found: timing belt issues (again with the timing?!!??) timing belt off one tooth, balance shaft belt missing many teeth, broken crank shaft sensor. Replaced them. 9/06 found front manifold & gasket need replacement & oxygen sensor too. These above calamities don't explain the towings & time without this car while it was being repaired. And oh yeah. I live on Martha's Vineyard so the car had to go by FERRY to get repaired several times! I found out the hard way that the dealership from whom I bought the car lied to me when they said the 5 year roadside assistance was available to me on the island. It wasn't & I've had AAA ever since. Well, just recently at 88,000 miles, I had to pay to have the timing redone! All in all, call me crazy, I will consider buying another Hyundai because of the warranty. I understand they've worked out the many kinks (isn't THAT nice..) of their SUV but I'll probably look into the Tucson & Touring next time. "Next time" being when all the life has been sucked out of the 2001 behemoth! Waayyyy too heavy for a 4 cylinder engine, turns out.

Their First SUV is still a winner.

by The Teacher. from Coral Springs, Florida on Mon Dec 04 2006

Six years and 176,000 miles, never used the 100,000 warranty. Just changed the oil, changed the brakes and tires and added gas. Oh and a new battery. Excitingly boring. My LX is a great toaster. Even the leather seats are not cracked nor are the seams opening.

Keep up on maintenance

by Sycogirl331 from Akron, Ohio on Tue Jun 27 2017

This is an excellent car if you keep up on the maintenance. Some parts are very hard to reach, which makes it pricier to fix. Overall, this car has been reliable and drives great in the snow and rain.

First Car, First Love

by Cassie from rochester ny on Mon Feb 04 2013

This was my first car and I bought it right off the lot it was the first car I test drove and I knew it was what I was looking for. It was very reliable (few fender benders in this car) no maintence issues except the number 4 coil and struts. lots of room and pretty. Great sound system. Couldnt imagine an other car as good as the one I owned. I had to sell for financial reasons but now that Im looking for an other car this is definitely one Im keeping in mind.

Great value for the money

by Greg from New Hampshire on Wed Jan 19 2011

I bought my Santa Fe LX 4wd brand new in the initial model year (2001). I had a few problems with the engine control module as well as the transmission sensor. Both were replaced under the warranty. I've replaced the timing belt twice, but I do have over 150,000 miles on the car now. I had to replace all 4 wheel bearings, one at a time at least, and the rear suspension controller arms were replaced under a recall as they rusted out. (live in a snowbelt state) All in all, a decent, reliable car. Would consider buying another Hyundai in a minute. Maybe the Tucson next time. I need the 4wd and it's great in the winter with the snow and ice.

STRONG AND RELIABLE

by Kaylord from austell GA on Fri Dec 31 2010

I bought this car in 2007 since then never experience any engine problem. The only maintenance carried out is periodic oil change. I will recommend this car any day. This has an efficient gas mileage because it has 4 cylinder

It really is the most reliable car I?ve ever owned

by Krcooper from Oregon City, OR on Tue Oct 03 2017

I bought this car 17 years ago, drove it 276000 miles, and it filled 99% of every need I had of a car. It was the first year the Santa Fe came out, so it was unique for a while. What surprised me was just how reliable it was. Never any engine or transmission trouble, just the ocassional component external of the engine would need replacement (alternator, starter, battery, sensors, timing belt, etc.). I added a trailer hitch, and with a trailer I could haul anything I needed for my house or yard. Just an amazing vehicle. So amazing, I replaced it with another Santa Fe - a 2014!

Awesome Features

by DILLIGAF81 from Western Maryland/West Virginia on Fri Nov 15 2013

It's now 2013 and I have a 2001 Santa Fe with only 62,000 miles. I have the LX which has the V6. There is not much difference between the available trim levels as they all come very nicely equipped. The one feature that sets mine apart from the rest of the pack is Heated driver and passenger seat cushions!! I have read the other reviews on here and I guesss I got lucky, NO issues to complain about. The BMW X5 SUV has so many complaints, I'm glad I didn't shell out an extra $20k for the status!! Yeah, the leather isn't quite as supple and the performance is about 3 tenths of a second more on the 0-60ft. times. I also own a 2009 Sonata SE V6, and both are awesome vehicles!! The only complaint I have is this SUV has a 4WD badge on the tailgate, but your not gonna take this off roading. I wish it had 4-Low, granted not needed often but better to have it and not need it you know. I'm glad to see from other reviews that I have at least another 100k left with this vehicle. It handles wet and snow covered roads and the ABS performs like it should.

I love this car

by Yvette38 from ATLANTA on Fri Mar 23 2018

This car meet all my needs an it has lots of leg room for a family or even s college student. Its a nice car to give fir a first time driver

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

Maybe it means we've scraped the bottom of the sport utility vehicle barrel when a South Korean company takes a name like Santa Fe for its newest cute-ute.

Santa where? Santa who?

Since when does Southeast Asia have a say in something so blatantly Wild West and so obviously U.S.? Since Hyundai started building an SUV that can compete with anything on this shore. This is the new Santa Fe - hardly Hyundai, very American, quite interesting.

We told you a few months ago about Hyundai's rebuilt reputation - the XG300 and the Sonata are two good examples - and the tradition continues with its first-ever SUV. Trashed are the tin cans that used to roll off the Hyundai assembly line. Gone are... Read More