2003 Santa Fe

4.4 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

best vehicle I have had

by cozycottage from Little Rock, AR on December 31, 2010

I bought used in 2004 with 23000 miles. I never have to take it in. At 150,000 miles I finally had to replace the original battery... this year I also had to fix the air conditioner. I am not real crazy about the lifetime fuel injectors but I have said that I will drive this until it dies. I love it. 12-31-2010

great for a teenager's first car

by sicemdawg from North Carolina on January 31, 2010

I bought this for my daughter's first vehicle - it's a good size and weight, and the 2003 had the full complement of airbags as well - important to me for a first time driver. It has good pickup and enough power in the V-6 to get out of its own way, but the quick throttle tip-in on launch takes a bit of getting used to. It also provides excellent visibility all around - another important virtue since my daughter is short in stature. Overall, very pleased.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Santa Fe

by Santa Fe lover from Virginia on April 29, 2011

I purchased my 2003 Santa Fe brand new, February 2003 with the intention of driving it until it rotted off the frame! 8+ years later I still love it! Though I was never really a fan of the exterior appearance, it was recommended to me for all the features I was looking for. I researched it, test drove it and that was it, I fell in love...I no longer cared what it looked like. Over the years the look grew on me and I can't imagine driving anything else! It has a nice, smooth, quiet, comfortable ride, spacious back seat with lots of leg room, and I can load it up with large items...the cargo space fits much more than you can imagine! It was rated very high on safety but best of all, it has been incredibly reliable. I have never had any major problem and it has ~130,000 miles on it. I have had to change the tires once as well as the brakes one time for both front and back. The A/C compressor needed to be replaced last summer with the condenser needing to be replaced now. Again, it's 8+ years old, so I'm not complaining! I hope to have my Santa Fe for another eight years!

Great SUV

by Sales Person from Fort Wayne, IN on January 3, 2010

I purchased this used in 2005 with 45k miles, an SUV with more miles than I had planned, but this has turned out to be a great vehicle for me. In a typical week I cover 400-500 miles of territory and have been very pleased with how this vehicle has held up. I've owned this SUV now for 4+ years and 145k more miles with virtually no cost other than regular oil changes and routine maintenance up to the last six months or so, when I've had a few major repairs. Don't like the 2007 style change (bigger) so I'm looking for a 2006 with low miles to drive for another 5 years!

A great car to get family & personal things done

by Mr. Mom from Kew Gardens, NY on October 7, 2011

If you need a car with a great engine. This is the one to drive. I recommend this car for the roomy interior. When you test drive it you will love it!

Best Average for reliable SUV

by Cageeys Cars from Minneapolis, MN on March 20, 2009

Pros: Exterior styling, Power, room, quietness, price Cons: Stiff front setbacks, low rear seat, non-folding front passenger seat, The Bottom Line: Much improved SUV, definitely worth a look before buying another SUV. The Santa Fe I drove had cloth seats, Very comfortable. With front-wheel-drive, there is some torque steer under hard acceleration at low speeds, but not enough that many people will find it objectionable. Hyundai tends to favor relatively soft suspension tuning, and the Santa Fe does not aspire to provide the handling of a sports car. The steering lacks feel, and when pushed the Santa Fe plows. Yet lean in turns is not excessive and composure when the road turns bumpy is much better than in the past.The ride isn't entirely smooth, with the slightly busy, leadfooted feel that afflicts even better-than-average SUVs. Noise levels are markedly low, though. Under 40, it hardly feels like the Santa Fe is moving. Overall, the ride/handling compromise is pretty much where the average SUV buyer will want it.

Powerful and Safe

by River Addict from California on January 2, 2014

I loved my 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. I bought it used and beaten up, but gave it some TLC and it turned out to be a wonderful car. I have 4 big dogs and I go to the river 1-2 times a week to exercise them. The cloth interior of the car was the most manageable I have experienced in any other car I've had. The fur just vacuumed off. When I would go to the river, I would go off road and the 4WD was awesome and powerful. I didn't play with it, I simply drove over rocks and dirt to get to my secluded river spot. I was just in an accident involving a Ford Fusion rear-ending my Hyundai at 45 mph into a Dodge Durango that was turning. My Hyundai was totaled, but I came out of it with just scratches. The front of my car and trunk were smashed and 3 out of 4 doors dented, but inside the front and back seats were in perfect condition. I know that if I had had any passengers in the car they would have been just as okay as me. It's really comforting to know. Thank you, Hyundai.

Uses car for Off-roading

Dependability

by Flyboy from North Carolina on January 4, 2009

The best way to describe the Santa Fe is that its fun to drive. The front wheel drive provides excellent traction in all weather conditions. The ride is comfortable and visibility in every direction is excellent. Hyundai delievers the performance and comfort of other SUV's in its class that costs much more.

Totally underestimated!!

by Nerdycat on August 15, 2017

I absolutely love my car! I bought it used about 5 years ago and I currently have 201,000 miles on it! Brakes seem to go quicker than other cars I've owned and Santa Fe's get rusty around the back rear tires. Very common. Everything I have had to fix was regular maintenance (ball bearing, rotors, inner & outer tie rods). I have had no major problems other than my a.c. quitting on me. No engine light on whatsoever! I am currently in the market to buy a newer Santa Fe because she has been so good to me.

Terrific Mini-SUV

by Santa Fee Fan from STL on December 23, 2006

I've loved this car/SUV. It's got the space of an SUV with the mileage of a car. Never had any problem with it other than a failed windshield wiper washer fluid pump which the dealer changed out free on warranty in 20 mins.

1 2 3