Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2002 Sonata

2002 Hyundai Sonata

$67 - $5,795  MSRP Range
2002 Hyundai Sonata

4.1

Have You Driven the 2002 Hyundai Sonata?

Affordable but a bit luxurious - Sonata

by Seeking comfortable fun from Oakland, CA on Mon Sep 22 2008

I've had my 2002 Sonata for 6 years. I bought it for the headlight design and feline lines. It is one of my favorite cars ever. Even my sporty manual-driving husband likes it. Best deal on a sedan for the money. Everything I wanted except heated seats and 6-CD changer. It's an automatic but you can change to a manual control using shiftronic feature, which we use when driving in mountains. Even in automatic mode it has good get-up-and-go except on steep hills. Very comfortable seats for long drives. Was exceptionally quiet when we bought it. 6 years and 1 rear-end later it's not quite so silent but still way better than any VW. Love the sunroof, moderately sporty-shaped bucket front seats, rear optional arm rest/cup holder in center of back, 60/40 split back seat, decent radio. Only 3 glitchy things never fixable: right front passenger window closes slower than all others; the drivers carpet mat never stays hooked in place and scoots forward over days; and some of the panel lights (hot/cold) have gone out now twice. And the trunk always seems to hold less than I expect. Yes, that is the full sum of my complaints and I know how to complain, trust me. Love this comfortable ride!

MOST RELIABLE CAR I EVER OWNED

by VALUE MINDED from MICH on Sat Nov 24 2007

BOUGHT CAR NEW IN 02 HAVE 123,000 MILES ON IT AND NEVER BEEN BACK TO DEALER FOR ANY PROBLUMS JUST REGULER MAINTENENCE.

Fast And Quiet

by Nice car enthusiast from Albany OR, on Tue Jul 01 2008

Ive road this car for thousands of miles it is very smoothand has a lot of accelleration ist looks arent as good as a honda to most people but i think it is extremely cute and nice. and i would recommend it to anyone who wants a fast AND quiet car thin is the car for you. and it gets decent fuel economy for a V6 i get 31 MPG on the highway and 24 in the city. Its great!!!

best car I have ever owned

by susan from chicago on Mon Aug 14 2006

The ride is comfortable. The car is reliable. The interior is superior to any car. The warranty is fantastic. The drive is great. I would recommmend this car to anyone.

Still going strong at 250,000 miles!

by Kurt & Bonnie from Stewart County, TN on Tue Jan 02 2018

We drove this vehicle for 250,000 miles over the past 15 years, and the only thing beyond regular maintenance that we had to replace was an alternator a few months before we gave the car to our grandchildren (when we purchased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe). We did our part by maintaining it, but the car delivered. When we gave it away, we were getting around 30 mpg. It was comfortable, had plenty of power when needed, and was easy to drive. If you can get one of these used, it would be a wise purchase.

best car i've ever owned

by Everett Guy from Everett Washington on Mon Jul 30 2007

This is absolutely the best car i've ever owned. With almost 90k miles i still have no squeaks or rattles. this car is still solid after 5 years of ownership. i have done only scheduled maintenance--replaced wiper blades and oil. only one unschedlued repair for the steering pump at 85k. drove 1500 miles to california @ 75mph and still got 30mpg! Who needs a mercedes?

I did test dive this car

by thinckingabout buying2018 from Atlanta GA on Mon Dec 11 2017

the car was a nice test dive, I am thinking of buy it for one of my kids soon. and I have a friend who he said that it has been the most reliable car ever! Never broke down or left him stranded. The only thing he said was that he had to do to the car is a new timing belt, water pump, and tensioner every 60k and a transmission service every 30k. If you keep up on the maintenance he said that the cars run forever and wont let you down. Its nice because your getting the reliability of a Honda or Toyota at a fraction of the price! so you do not have to pay what you pay for a Honda or Toyota....

You get more than you pay for.

by flip from Elizabethtown KY on Sun Jan 20 2008

Good car has a 4 cylinder idle. Possesses a strong motor. Climb hills like a jeep. Has been hit hard $ 3000 in the rear and it held up nicely. Items covered after 5 years, brake booster and catalytic converter. Had to replace wiring harness for air bag .

I love this car....

by Satisfied from on Sun Nov 16 2008

I just recently purchased my Hyundai Sonata and I absolutely love it. The style is beautiful, the inside is very luxurious. I love my car, it rides smooth, the handling is good and it's small and reliable and fuel efficent Just right for me. I would difinitely recommend this car to a friend.

You Get What You Pay For

by hyundayz from Chambersburg, PA on Wed Mar 01 2017

I got a 2002 hyundai sonata when it had 176k on it for free from a friend who was getting rid of it. My biggest complaint is that I have only had the car for two years and the AC went out, and would cost almost $2000 to fix. Summer days get very long and hot, especially with the fabric seats. Otherwise the car is very powerful and reliable. Cruise control is incredible. I am about to break 200k and am getting a new car but this was a great first car to start out on.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2002 Hyundai Sonata

If you say that Hyundai makes a car you might consider buying, people look at you as if you said Martha Stewart had gained 300 pounds and moved to a trailer park in Arkansas.

Well, I don't know about ol' Martha, but I do know that the new Hyundai Sonata is a pretty decent little transportation device. Not that you'll mistake it for best in show, but it's a solid C+ student, gunning for a B.

You can see Hyundai striving to be taken more seriously everywhere in this car.

The styling is pure social-climber, kicking a bit of Mercedes up front and Jaguar and Oldsmobile in the rear. Yet, despite the divergent influences, the styling works. Even a dull silver paint scheme couldn't hide this car's... Read More