2003 Sonata

$853 - $5,477  MSRP Range
2003 Hyundai Sonata

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 2003 Hyundai Sonata?

Nice car

by K from Phoenix on Wed Feb 15 2012

I liked my Hyundai Sonata, it was good to drive, very reliable. I did not have any problems, I bought it used 3rd owner, it was a rental car before, so got good deal and was worried about reliability but has been great, I lost the car in an accident but wanted to keep another 5 years....

The most reliable thing I've ever seen

by Jake from York, NE on Thu Apr 21 2016

I bought a 4 cylinder 2003 with 56,000 miles on it and drove it until it died with 310,000 miles. The first time it broke down on me it had 180,000 miles on it, didn't break down for another 100,000 after that. I beat the snot out of that car too. While I kept up on the timing belt changes, for the most part I neglected it, changing the oil at over 10,000 miles. The body work was shot from raccoons and hacking into things, getting side swiped, ect, but it just kept on running. I loved that car, much more reliable than my families civic, and corolla.

best care I ever owned

by Retired from Kingston ON Canada on Thu Feb 15 2007

Have had no problems except one break pad which needed repair Otherwise been driving for three years without any major problems. It is four cylinder and starts in very cold weather here in Canada without plugin heater Nice on highway and easy on gas I am leasing but will purchase at end of lease

Great first car...

by teenagedriver from on Sun Apr 26 2015

I'm almost twenty and I've been driving this car since I learned at age 16. It's a great car to learn to drive in because it handles well, and is pretty standard. As a teenager I hate paying for gas but this car actually gets really good gas millage compared to others out there. I shared this car with my sister and my mom and it's still running really well. It's needed a few minor repairs but the one we own has been used both moderately and extensively since 2003. There's plenty of space in the back, radio, CD and cassette player. This car handles well on the road especially in small towns and neighborhoods. I live in a very snowy area and this car has never let me down. I've slid due to road conditions and always gained control which is great in a small car like this. It's not the smoothest drive on the highway but it'll get you where you need to go. If your'e looking for a car for a teenager or a new driver this is it. You'll get a great deal for your money.

nice car

by steve from Elmhurst on Sun Aug 30 2009

This is a great car and I've seen the car and for a 2003 with 95k miles, it runs nice, has speed and is is great condition. The seller has taken great care of the car so don't pass this one up.

Finally killed it.

by 8 year owner from Arkansas on Sun Jan 08 2012

My wife bought the car new in 2003, I started driving it in 2007 with 50,000 miles on it. It finally died after 246,000 miles. The timing belt broke and the engine was destroyed. Rather than spend $2,000 to fix it (trade in value was $1,500) We are sending it off to a pick and pull. We replaced the brakes twice in 240,000 miles, as well as 4 sets of tires. The AC blower moter quite at 230,000 miles. In all IF you follow the scheduled maintanance in the owners manual and replace things as needed and replace the timing belt before suggested, this car will last you 200,000 plus miles. I never owned an american made car whose transmission didn't go out around 100,000 miles and for this car to go almost 250,000 miles on the original automatic transmission is quite a testimate.

Can't beat it!

by Average Car Owner from Los Angeles, CA on Tue Mar 22 2011

I own a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS and I love it! It has never given me any issues, and would recommend it to anyone. I am a young professional who does travel and sales, and this car is just slick looking and plush enough to take customers out in, but not so much that I look like a wana be rock star! Good gas mileage, nice in and exterior, just an all around great car!

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED

by Happy used car owner from Indianapolis, IN on Mon Mar 26 2007

I bought my 2003 Hyundai Sonata LX used. I had researched local used cars online for about three weeks before I came across the Sonata. It had all my "wants" and I knew Hyundai to be a reliable vehicle. When I test drove the Sonata I was extremely surprised by the smooth ride and handling. I really liked the Mercedes/Jaguar-ish body style. That combined with the smooth handling and styled interior won me over. I only have had one issue with a mis-firing, but that was quickly handled with Hyundai's great warrenty. I highly recommend anyone to give Hyundai a serious consideration!

Not the best

by trish from ohio on Sun May 13 2007

This car is just ok for me. It is pretty and comfortable but it has caused a lot of problems. We have had to fix it too many times. The windows and lights mess up constantly, air bag lights, a lot of electrical problems.

Does not recommend this car!!

Maybe I Just Got The Lemon

by Nick from New Jersey on Fri Jun 28 2013

Well what can I say about the 2003 Hyundai Sonata V6? A lot of things. For starters, the car gets horrible gas mileage. My SUV that has a V8 under the hood gets better gas mileage than I do. The interior is cramped and very confined. Exterior of the car is very good looking, the car has nice lines and a nicely shaped and designed front and rear-end. The car is very sluggish almost as if the car has trouble getting out of its own way. I've been driving this car for ten years now and there's not really a day that's gone by that I actually enjoy driving it. The front wheel drive is basically useless once you get an inch of snow on the ground. Perhaps I got a lemon or maybe I'm just fed up with my little sedan that is an extreme gas guzzler but I wouldn't recommend this year or model to anyone. The only thing I truly enjoy in this car is the stock sound system, it is surprisingly sharp and crisp.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2