2005 Sonata

$761 - $6,509  MSRP Range
2005 Hyundai Sonata

Have You Driven the 2005 Hyundai Sonata?

Great vehicle

by Family Sedan Owner from Miami, Florida on Mon Mar 19 2012

This is my fourth Hyundai and the second one of this specific model, a 2005 Sonata. The 2002-2005 Sonata models are , I believe, the best mid-sized cars Hyundai has produced so far. Their styling is truly classic and the V6 engine is an economic wonder!! I would recommend this car very strongly to anyone.

Great car very reliable

by Sonata Fan from on Mon Aug 16 2010

I have had a 2005 Sonata LX and I love it! What a great car. It has over 75,000 miles and its still has never had an issue. I just get the regular maintenance done on it. It rides smooth and accelerates great. It looks like the Jaguar but for a fraction of the price. Overall it?s a great car and I have been very pleased with it.

Most reliable new car I have owned

by Primus from Minneapolis, MN on Mon Jul 27 2009

I bought the 2005 Hyundai Sonata (top of the line model) at the end of the model year. I was looking for bulletproof reliability and this car was supposed to be just that. And it was. I drove it for almost 3 years and and about 17,000 miles. Not once did I have to take it back to the dealer for repair work. Just did routine maintenance. I paid about $14,000 and sold it for $10,500. Not too bad. I was 100% pleased wit the car. Would buy another one if the need arose.

reliable car

by average joe from minnesota on Tue Jun 11 2013

bought my 2005 hyundai sonata gls with 2300 miles on it. for the price, i thought it was a great buy. this car has been very reliable with only routine maintenance, tires, oil changes, breaks, ect. i drive a lot of highway miles and average anywhere from 26-29 mpg depending how fast i drive. the only negative thing about this vehicle is that i replace the low beam lights on it often. Still own this car today with 280,000 miles on it and it drives as good today as when i bought it. Replaced plugs at 275,000. found that firestone tires work the best for this vehicle. Got 95,000 miles out of the last pair of FR710 and currently have 45,000 miles on my current set

Poor-Man's Jag.

by JP4200 from Fort Wayne, IN on Fri Sep 15 2006

I recently purchased a 2005 Sonata GLS and I am suprised at how much I enjoy it. I like the fake wood grain trim on the inside, the ride is smoother than my Oldsmoblie Aurora, and the slapstick makes passing fun. The 170 hp V6 feels faster because you can downshift to engage the DOHC, it shifts automatically once it gets to the red-line at 6500 rpm. The stock stereo system, while not a Bose system, sounds suprisingly good after you tweek it. There is ample trunk space, I have had 3 sets of golf clubs in it with room to spare. The only complaint I have is the upholstry on the seats, but seat covers are relatively cheap. The 2005 body style very closely resembles a Jaguar making it attractive to the eye. I never thought I would buy a Hyundai, but once I drove it that thought went right out the moon-roof, another nice feature. If you are looking to buy a car I would recommend at least test driving it, you will be suprised, the 2006's are made in America, and do not have the Jag body style, so go for the '05.

Great, reliable car

by Jane Doe from Philadelphia, PA on Sun May 22 2016

This was my first car and it has been a great one. I bought it used with 82,000 miles on it in 2013 - I've since put 24,000 more miles on it and it still runs great, despite the abuse from being a new-ish driver the first year I had it. I have not had to pay for anything other than routine maintenance and normal wear and tear (front brake pad replacements, alignments, oil changes, and a few bulb replacements). It gets decent gas mileage at around 25-30mpg, accelerates great, roomy inside and the moon roof is an added bonus. The radio/sound system isn't state of the art, but it's adequate. The only reason why I am trading it in is because my current repair costs from vandalism (mainly cosmetic) exceed the car's worth, but I will definitely be getting another Sonata. I couldn't be more happy with this car and it's served me well for the 3 years I've had it.

high performance luxury

by street car inthusiast from upstate new york, Ny on Fri Jan 19 2007

this car gives great performance and great styling very good cost for what you get all wheel abs disc brakes 170 hp and the fun of shift tronic or slap shift

Impressed with Hyundai

by Hyundai fan from Greensburg, IN on Thu Feb 03 2011

We purchased a 2005 Hyundai Sonata in 2007. It has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. We also have SUVs, but I would much rather drive the Sonata because it's zippier for quick trips around town. Gas mileage is very good, comfortable seats, plenty of leg room and a spacious trunk. Very impressed with Hyundai!

My 2005 Sonata

by thomastidewater from Minnesota on Mon Apr 13 2015

My wife bought our 2005 Sonata as a rental return with 35K miles. She drove it daily to work (all city driving) until 2013 when she bought herself a new '11 Sonata and handed down her '05 to me with 112K miles on it, to replace my '01 Elantra which I handed down to my daughter. The biggest problem with the '05 is that the airbag light is always on. Nobody can figure out why. An internet search of this problem reveals millions of Sonatas in this year range with the same problem, and Hyundai Corp. refusing to address the problem with a recall. That really irks me. In '12 and '13, I too had to replace the low beam bulbs a few times, as other reviewers have mentioned, but haven't had to at all in '14 or now in '15. Here's a tip. If your check engine light comes on, and you or your mechanic can't figure out why, and your OBD-II scope isn't helping, just clean or replace the air filter... problem solved (the air to fuel mixture normalizes, the computer's happy again, and the check engine light goes off without having to reset it via OBD-II. Nice! Now the part that really upsets me about the '05 Sonata. The headlights light the road so poorly at night that I find it very difficult to drive at night. They light the road nicely out to about 30 feet, but then a huge black shadow appears across the entire field of view in the area of the road that you want to be seeing the most... the area that you would think would be lit up the best for safety's sake. Adjusting the headlights doesn't help a bit... the shadow is still there. Also, adjusting the headlights is extremely difficult... a true pain in the ess! Short trips around town at night are manageable, but a road trip of several hundred miles? Try to do it in the daytime. Airbag warning light and headlights aside, all in all, I'd highly recommend the '05 Sonata! Comfortable, smooth riding (unlike our '11 Sonata, which shakes your innards right out of your body! Every little bump feels like a major pothole!) and reliable. At 120,000 miles, all our '05 has needed was a new timing belt at 100K, regular oil and filter chenges every 3K, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but at 120K, she still has her original sparkplugs. I think I'll get those changed this week. Tranny is still tight and shifts smooth, engine just took me 600 miles from Minneapolis to Aberdeen and back in a single day without using a drop of oil. Probably the best, most reliable car I've ever owned. Tows my 14' aluminum fishing boat effortlessly as well! Go for it!

by Val from New River az on Tue Mar 20 2018

bought this as my first car being used with 107,000 miles on it and it still looks and runs like New it has a beautiful exterior and interior with the trim on the dash and all the compartments of the car as well not to mention the large trunk and the moon roof is my favorite. It runs really well being a v6 very fast. Very realiable,safe car and looking forward to what to come.

1 2 3 4