2012 Tucson

2012 Hyundai Tucson

2012 Hyundai Tucson

4.3

Have you driven the 2012 Hyundai Tucson?

Getting over that deep gut sick feeling

by Smokindog from Helena Alabama on Thu May 17 2012

Traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee in for a Tucson GLS 4 cly auto. At first wasn't sure I made a good decision. As time has passed, I'm liking the Tucson better each time I drive it. The ride is smooth and almost as quite as the Jeep GC. The seats are as good as most larger vehicles, and a lot better than the other brand smaller SUV's. Leg room is great, front and rear. Engine performance is peppy, it surprized me, and my jeep was a V8. My driving is part city and Highway. It has averaged 30.1 . I made my first interstate trip yesterday, The traffic was moving well but running around 65 mph. I saw as high as 38.1 for a few miles. Then it dropped to 35 and 36, It played back and forth at that range. When I reached my destination the MPG had settled in at 35.6 Hwy. This trip had two adults, luggage and A/C running. I tried the ECO, and didn't see much improvement at all. I did notice ECO had less performance and less A/C but all was adequate. I do like the large diameter brake rotors. This is a great improvement over the past few years with most brand vehicles, You know the warp the rotor routine. I know the brakes are better than most, and truly believe the rotors will last better than most, without warpage. I like the 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty, Of course that is for the engine and transmission. I also like the 5 year unlimited mile road side warranty, as explained to me, If you hit a pot hole and blow a tire the warranty will replace the tire free, and or wheel. This was pointed out in the manual, hope it's correct. I don't see anything wrong with this vehicle at all, so far so good. I guess my being a vehicle Tech for 30 years makes me look closely at running gear more so than most people. So the only thing I see that I don't like is the new style larger wheels. This one has 17 inch rims. Anytime you have a large diameter wheel with low profile tires you get a harsh ride when you hit a bump. The larger the wheel and the lower the profile tire you get a rough ride, but great handling. This also improves tire rolling resistance for better fuel economy, so were stuck with the new style wheels. Anyway....I now have proven to myself this is a good vehicle and love it.

Great Looks, Value And Ride

by CrabMonster from Mesquite, Nevada on Mon Oct 24 2011

I traded in my 2011 Hyundai Elantra which I loved, but it was killing my back, for a 2012 Tucson. Just love the truck, the style is great, looks just like the Lexus, the interior is almost perfect, just wish the a/c vents went down further, but the rest is perfect. It is very comfortable and roomy in the front and in the back. The cargo area is a little small, but it will work. If you need a bigger cargo area, get an Xterra, but only get 15 mpg in town and 20 highway. I am getting 21 in town and 27 hwy, but I have less than 1000 miles on it and it will get better, still not bad for an SUV. The ride is very smooth and quiet and the acceleration is much better than you would think. The price is excellent for what you get, plus you get the best warranty there is and 5yr/unlimited Roadside Assistance. Excellent SUV.

Second Hyundai - First SUV

by First SUV from Herndon, VA on Sun Sep 02 2012

I got my 2012 Hyundai Tucson Limited just a few months ago and am extremely glad! Don't get me wrong, I loved my 2005 Accent. I figured I would miss my Accent because I loved being able to fit into the tight spaces that SUVs couldn't. Once we got this, however, I realized that while it feels much bigger than it looks (the inside is awesome and there's plenty of space), the car still isn't humongous, which means I got the best of both worlds. The gas mileage is similar to what I was getting in my Accent, but with a bigger gas tank I notice I'm filling up less. My insurance went up by a whopping $4 per month! (Yes, that was sarcasm... I expected it to go up much more). Apparently the safety ratings for the Tucson are awesome, so that's why there wasn't a huge price hike. I have to revert to the Accent to talk about reliability, since I've only had the Tucson for 2 months. The Accent was very reliable so I have no reason to doubt the Tucson will be just as great, especially with the warranty there to cover it in case it begins acting up. Piece of mind has been a staple ever since I've been dealing with Hyundai. The turning may be rigid, but I honestly don't notice it much at all. It keeps pretty straight while i'm on highway roads, which I appreciate more than seeing it as a burden. The car is not an off road vehicle, though it can handle a bit:-) I'm looking much more forward to driving through the mountains in this thing than the Accent. Initially we were worried that we got the wrong car - we were more interested in waiting for the 2013 Santa Fe. And while I have no doubt the Santa Fe is an amazing car, we do not regret going ahead and buying the Tucson before the Santa Fe came out. It is an awesome car with great fuel economy - for a good price. I have a hard time seeing the downside to it.

Tuson

by Nick from Canada on Mon Nov 07 2011

The choice was narrowed down to two vehicles - 2012 Forester or Tuson. I finally decided on the Tuson limited for a number of reasons: - the Subaru styling is somewhat dated as are some other features ie 4 speed transmission, interior design to name a few. The Hyundai 5 year warranty was a strong selling point. Also the styling,interior, dual sunroof, and stronger dealer network(in my area) were swaying points. While both vehicles are in the same price range, Hyundai was a lot more willing to deal by throwing in extras. 1000km later, the Tuson is everything I had hoped for and more.

Excellent 2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV for the price!

by Atlanta_Driver from Atlanta, GA on Tue Aug 30 2011

Purchased this SUV a few weeks ago and had no problems with it. Cargo space is small but back seats collapses and gives you more room. My backseat passengers really liked the comfort and room provided in the back and made several postive comments about it. Engine is a bit sluggish but the mpg makes up for it. The interior is well designed and very easy to maintain and clean. Overall, the Tucson 2012 is a great buy for the price compared to the other SUVs I looked at.

Red Hot like its color

by Red Hot new car from New Bedford, MA on Thu Dec 27 2012

Once you sit in the drives seat, you feel like your part of the car. Here I go it drives like a car, not a SUV. You get the best from both worlds. You have the room to haul all your Christmas gifts and the luxury and comfort you want. Looks red hot and drive red hot.

Sportiest CSUV I've ever seen

by RRWCPA from Chicago Suburbs on Tue Oct 30 2012

I've had my 2012 Tucson Limited for 12 months now, nad have loved every driving moment. I've been on long trips and just tooled around the neighborhood. cars features are great and I'm very happy with the ride and the gas mileage. I drove only Acuras and Infinity's prior to this and only notice that the Tucson does not receive the acolades it should which seem to be limited to the more luxurious vehicles. I plan to buy this car once it is off lease (the first time ever after 21 years of leasing) and would recommend it highly.

Great car, really bad gas mileage

by Like my Hyundais from Phoenix AZ on Thu Jun 28 2012

I have had my 2012 Tucson for 6 months. From day one my gas mileage has been terrible. I drive 99% highway every day of the week. The best I have gotten on the highway is 26.5 mpg, but normally it is about 24.5 mpg. I have had it to the dealer 3 times. Every time I take it in, they say wait till 3000 miles, then 7500 miles, then 10,000 miles, then this last time 12,500 miles. The trip computer shows consistently 1.5 mpg more than the actual gas mileage. After reading the other reviews, I am sure there is something wrong with my car and with the price of a gallon of gas I'm ready for the lemon law. I had previously owned 3 Sonatas and always got really good mileage and what was advertised. Other than that, I love the car. It is extremely comfortable and had a good ride. You do have to be careful when exiting the vehicle because it is easy to accidently lock the door where the lock is placed and the doors don't always close the first time. If it would get the advertised mileage or even close I would buy it again, but right now, I would not purchase a Tucson again

I'm so impressed

by Happy Camper from Phoenix on Fri Jun 29 2012

A great value. Very good quality vehicle at a reasonable cost. And most important these days is good gas mileage. I would definitely recommend this vehicle, if your looking for great style, good gas mileage and the best warranty available.

An Exceptional Vehicle

by Ex Ford Owner from san marcos, texas on Mon Feb 20 2012

I purchased a Tucson limited and it is great. I really appreciate the disc brakes on all four wheels. My escape and some other small SUV's have drum brakes in the rear. Drum brakes went out back in the 1960's. I am shocked what car compaies will hide to just save a couple bucks. Anyway I love the mileage and accessories and the extended warranty. The ride is smooth and quiet. I highly reccomend it. :)

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2012 Hyundai Tucson

Editor's note: Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car's stated mileage.

With its good looks and plenty of features, the 2012 Hyundai Tucson keeps pace in the compact SUV field, but its tight interior and stiff ride may deter some buyers.

The Tucson was last redesigned in 2010. (You can compare the 2011 with the 2012 model here.) The most obvious change for 2012 is the addition of an Active Eco button that changes engine and transmission response to get better mileage, but there's also an improved air-conditioning system, among other updates.

Hyundai offers three versions of the Tucson — GL, GLS and the Limited trim... Read More