2006 Infiniti G 35

2006 G35

by from Twin Cities, MN on July 20, 2006

Bought a new Infiniti G35 6MT with sport suspension in March 2006. Pros: Acceleration is excellent and it is very fast car. Handling is very very good and steering is accurate. The car really "sticks" to road especially when one moves fast (speed > 120mph zero lift body design helps I guess). Performed 90 degrees turns on desolated street, dry pavement, and did not fish tail/skid at 50 mph (curvature radius was ~20m). Braking is superb (generates a lot of brake dust but you cannot have both). Lot of room inside. Consumption good ~24 MPG highway 60 to 70 mph. If I press the car and drive agressively it drops under 20 MPG on highway (well it has 298 HP). The car is very powerfull highway crusing is joy and taking corners is fun. Cons: Need more torque at low RPM (at least that is what I feel). Infiniti needs to refine clutch. It is clunky going from 1st to 2nd gear. Drivers right hand rest needs to be higher. Position of cup holders especially for 6 MT version. More supportive seats and longer seat bottoms. Inside is spartan but in fact I like that. Tested Acura TL, BMW 330, MB C-350 sport, Lexus IS 350, Cadillac CTS 3.2 6MT. Accura TL comes close when you compare how many toys you get for the money and it handles decently good. Lexus does not have manual trans. on IS 350. I noticed that suspension is not as sporty as G35, and back seat leagroom is very very small. BMW is a tough one. Handling was a bit better than G35, suspension matches G35 but pushed to the limit G35 engine will win since it has 43 more HP. Also, you have to buy many more options from BMW to match G35 equipment level (Heated seats, moon roof, premium sound system....). MB C 350 - sport is much much more expensive and I really could not see why to pay more for less except having MB star in front. Suspension cannot match BMW and Infiniti. Taking corners I noticed that body roll is more pronaunced in MB than in BMW/Inifiniti. Stick shift is called short throw but it is not. Check BMW/Infiniti manual transm. to figure out what short throw means MB. Cadillac CTS 3.2 6MT, well it was a short test drive. Drove once around the dealership and parked it. They need to learn a lot before competing with the above mentioned group.

Love this car

by from Wichita, Ks on November 10, 2010

SHARP SHARP SHARP! Entertained a mustang but to get decent HP was going to have to throw a lot more money into it and let's face it, there's a LOT of mustangs driving around, I like the G's style and uniqueness. After test driving it I had to have it. Decided a sports car was the way to go though I like muscle cars too. The G35 comes standard w/all the bells and whistles you're going to have to pay to get on a muscle car and it's impossible to figure out what a mustang is worth due to the dozens of packages out there. Only regret is not buying it sooner! The Pearl White & gray interior was hard to find but well worth the wait. The frame feels pretty stiff which isn't an issue unless you hit a bump while turning a corner then the rear end can hop a bit. The Bose package is great and the premium wheels are a must, they fill the fenders up nicely. The wheels are staggered so if you keep the factory set-up there is no rotating the tires. Torque and HP is there throughout all of the gears so passing on the highway is a cinch, no lag in cruise mode on hills, etc. The auto headlights & heated seats have spoiled me rotten. Don't know how it does in bad weather but I had a stick shift pick-up for 8 years so I'm sure it'll be fine. This car will pamper you :)

Traded in my Chrysler 300M

by from New Jersey on October 3, 2012

I was shopping for an used TL when the Acura dealer said- hey- drive this one. I've put 100K miles on it- mostly highway- avg 75-85 mph with confidence. I got a great deal on a 2006 G35, its a tof of line "6MT" rear wheel drive model- all the options, a six speed tranny, love the pop-up Nav and Boise radio. Plus- Very Fast with handling to match. The first time I experienced the 4-wheel steering on an exit ramp it blew my mind- just like a corvette. Long distance drive high comfort, front and rear. Climate controls are excellent. If I'm highway crusing at 70 mph I can get 29mpg, a 425 mile range. Cons- The Rear drive is NG with ANY snow. Rain is fine as long as I've got good rubber. No Audio jacks in '06. No satellite radio. Premium gas only. But all in all, I would certainly go out of my way to buy another 06 G35, I like it far better than the new G37X. My local Infinity dealer is great- not cheap, but you get what you pay for. This is the best car I've ever owned.

Love my G35X

by from East Tennessee on November 30, 2015

I bought my 2006 G35X used in 2011. It had 68K miles on it. Now in Nov of 2015 it has 140K miles. Overall I love driving this car. The electronically controlled AWD makes this by far the most stable AWD I have ever driven. Living in the mountains of east Tennessee, most of my vehicles have 4 wheel or AWD. I have driven Ford, Chevy, GM and Toyota AWD systems and this is far superior in my opinion. The car has lots of power, and great handling, but if you are expecting a very quiet smooth ride like a Lexus this is not your car. It has more of a sports car feel with a little bit more noise and more feedback from the road where other luxury brands I have driven, such as the Lexus isolate you more from the environment. Some people may not like this, for me I prefer the less isolated drive. Thus my friend with a Lexus thinks my car is somewhat loud with a harsher ride, and I don't think his car is fun to drive and it certainly does not handle as well. On the other had if I was going to drive a 1000 miles of interstate I would probably pick is Lexus because it would be more comfortable, but for most of the driving I do I prefer the G35X. In rainy or snowy weather this car would be my choice. And since you never know about the weather, I will stick with this car. You seem so much in control in heavy rain and in snow that other 2-wheel drive cars feel dangerous. The down side to this car (Listen here Infiniti designers) is the seats are not that comfortable. Especially for large people. I am a male that is 6 ft tall and weigh 220 lbs. This is about the maximum size butt that will comfortably fit in the seat. For long drives I put a gel cushion in the seat. My wife won't ride for more than an hour without her get cushion. Part of the problem is the seat controls were mounted in the top edge of the seat instead of on the side or on the console. The makes the seat less flexible at the controls and they put a pressure point on the leg of the wider people. Skinny folks need not worry. The seat could use a little more padding. I believe some of the later models have moved the controls off of the seat. I hoped they made them a little softer too. As far has fuel economy my AWD gets between 21 and 22 MPG. I hear the 2WD models get about 2 MPG better. But for me the increased stability for bad weather conditions is worth the hit. Maintenance wise I have had to do a fair amount of front end and suspension work when it hit 130K. This is not all that unusual, especially for AWD vehicles. Between 130K and 140K miles I replaced tie rod, shocks, front wheel bearings, control arms, transverse link assembly lower on both sides, both steering knuckles and the front right CV shaft. All those parts were about $1900 and labor was about $700 at the Firestone auto care, I am sure you would pay significantly more at the Infinity dealer. Also I should point out that every 80 to 100K miles you should change your transmission and drive train fluids. They require special synthetic lube and it will cost you over $600. You should change transmission, transfer case and both differentials. Yes AWD requires more maintenance. For me the extra cost in worth the added safety. The maintenance costs overall have been less than for my Ford Expedition which has about 160K miles on it. Other than oil, and filter changes the only engine work I have had done was a spark plug replacement at 105K miles. The engine and transmission have always performed flawlessly. The paint still looks great and I plan on putting another 140K miles on this car, unless I come upon the money to upgrade to an Infinity M37 or a Q70. I would recommend this vehicle to those who like to drive as long as your butt is not any bigger than mine.

Great performance

by from on November 17, 2009

it saves gas when i need to, and gives me power when i try to have some fun. great car for the price, compare to other makes.

I love this Baby G!

by from CA, Los Angeles. on August 17, 2006

I love the ward's 10 best award winnig 3.5 L engine with 298 HP...wish they had more torque that matches up the HP. Engine has it's unique roaaar.....sounds beautiful!

Great Performance and Handling

by from Brooklyn, NY on August 4, 2007

I purchased the 2006 G35X new in March of 2007. The performance and handling are the strong points of this vehicle. For the money, it's a better value than any BMW or Mercedes. I have not had one problem in 5 months of ownership. The interior has too much plastic and can be a little noisy if you are traveling on a rough road at highway speeds. The all wheel drive comes in handy in the rain and especially the snow. I strongly recommend the G35X to anyone who is looking for a sporty and luxury sedan.

Great Infiniti

by from Fargo, ND on December 22, 2010

My 2006 Infiniti G35X is an excellent vehicle. The car handles very well and has excellent acceleration. I would definitely purchase another Infiniti.

Quickest and most stable car I've owned

by from New Brunswick, Canada on October 15, 2009

I have had the car a couple of months and am impressed with it. It is, by far, the quickest and most fun driving experience for me. Pros Handling, power, driver's seat, Bose stereo, fuel consumption (previous vehicle an SUV) Cons Odd transmission shifting from first to second, some interior squeaks, front passenger seat is not nearly as comfortable as the driver's, paint scratches quite easily as does the paint on the rims I recommend this vehicle for a person who likes more of a sports car since it is built on a Nissan 350Z platform. If a person likes a smooth luxury ride, try something else.

Infiniti G35

by from Huntington on November 23, 2011

I have owned 2 Infiniti G35 great luck with the cars. I would get another one in a heart beat. Great Car

Our Expert Review: 2006 Infiniti G 35