1998 Amigo

1998 Isuzu Amigo

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 1998 Isuzu Amigo?

Good car

by girl amigo owner from portland, or on Sun Jun 18 2006

I've had a 1998 Amigo for 3 years now, and it has been a good reliable car. I bought it used, 5 years old, at 60000 miles. The only service i had done on it were scheduled maintenance things (including changing head gasket, which was the most pricey repair done), plus the oxygen sensor had a little problem once. Really havent spent much on this car since i've had it. I just had a new battery put on since the original one was pretty worn and now its like new. I love my amigo, its fun with the removable top and it has personality. I often get compliments on my cool car, still. It has almost 100000 miles now and i still plan on keeping it for a while!

WoodsWoman

by WoodsWoman from Union Falls NY on Mon Mar 19 2007

My Amigo gets me where I need to go. I drive on logging roads in snow and mud and I haven't gotten stuck yet. It's great driving after a snow storm, I don't have to worry so much about sliding off the road. Also there's enough space to haul all my stuff.

Make sure the recalls done before purchasing

by jcholwell from Magalia, CA on Wed Mar 29 2017

It's a nice car. Too bad I bought it before finding out it never had the recalls done and Isuzu doesn't have dealerships in the US anymore. That cost me $4500 to just fix the recalled issues, even though most hadn't acted up yet. The ABS warning light liked to come on and off for no reason. It was a recall on the harness and sensor. The sensor is extremely expensive. Good car otherwise.

Best car I have owned.

by Amiguito from Boca Raton, FL. on Tue Aug 15 2017

I bought this car used in 1999 with 13k miles. Great car for the money. Great leg room and plenty of space for the size of the car. Very fun to drive and very reliable. Never had any issues and never left me stranded anywhere. Sold it in 2007 to buy a used BMW X3 (worst car ever), my biggest mistake.

Our Take on the 1998 Isuzu Amigo

Generation X'ers rejoice. After a three-year hiatus, Isuzu's Amigo is back, ready to prowl the beaches or frolic on college campuses.

Fold down the canvas rear section of its top and this stubby sport-utility vehicle draws twentysomethings as inexorably as a bug zapper does mosquitoes (not with the same result, I might add).

This half-convertible sport-utility vehicle is much more civilized than its predecessor because it is derived from the new Rodeo, which is built in Lafayette, Indiana. It blends the safety and security of a fixed roof with the open-air fun of a convertible. Front-seat passengers are covered by a steel roof (with a pop-up, removable sunroof) while a folding, soft... Read More