1998 Rodeo

1998 Isuzu Rodeo

$845 - $3,045  MSRP Range

4.3

Have You Driven the 1998 Isuzu Rodeo?

Does everything

by Rowdy-Mama from Boulder, CO on Fri Aug 21 2009

I bought my '98 Rodeo new, 11 years ago. Now at 100900 miles, it's still running strong. Great acceleration & power. Have driven cross-country 7 times, and serious off-roading in places such as Moab, as well as Colorado mountains and snow. It's always done whatever I wanted. Holds all my stuff, & bikes. Tows 4500 lbs. with no drag. Alternator was underpowered, had to be rebuilt twice. Gas gauge is neurotic. Excellent stereo. I got all the options. To get what my Rodeo has on a vehicle of another make would cost way too much. Too bad Isuzu no longer stands behind its product.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great Truck

by LoveTheTruck from on Wed Feb 23 2011

I owned my Rodeo for 10 years. It took me on ski trips, moved my drums for gigs, got my stuff home from Home Depot and even brought my babies home from the hospital. This truck was powerful enough to drive through the toughest storms and comfortable enough to cart my family around. I reccommend this truck.

Extreme Value and Durability

by tantricmanic from Bay Area, CA on Fri Dec 17 2010

I have a 98 and I have punished it doing construction work. I have literally loaded it from floor to ceiling with cinder blocks and it hauled it with no problem. I realize that was risky and I don't recommend it, but just to show you how tough it is. And I've done it many times. I'm almost to 160K now and it's still running strong. It just won't die. I have driven it between Phoenix and Northern California loaded with construction materials and its always delivered. Never broken down on me. I have replaced the a/c and the gas gauge is possessed but other than that its been pretty fantastic. Also had to replace wiring harness - covered free on recall. Great SUV for the money - buy one!!!

I LOVE my Rodeo!

by happy female driver from Austin, TX on Thu Apr 05 2007

I bought my 98 Rodeo new and still love it! I've had no major problems with it (knock on wood) and at 137,000 miles, it's still running great! I definitely feel like I got my money's worth. I plan to drive it until it dies - which will hopefully be years from now.

I love my Rodeo

by ccarnes14 from Grass Valley, CA on Wed Apr 25 2012

I have had my Rodeo for 4 yrs and put over 60K very hard miles on it. I work in the mountains of N.California and my truck has seen a lot of severe weather and misc. conditions. It has only failed me once and that was when the alternator went out. It has over 185k miles currently and still runs gr8. I just bought my wife a 97 Trooper. Before I got my Rodeo I only bought GM trucks. I am now forever an Isuzu fan. I just wish they still made passenger vehicles in the US.

Great SUV,

by DtfW from Madison, WI on Wed Oct 21 2009

I love my isuZu rodeo. It is at 180000 and has never had any major issues. Its a car with a personality.

My Rodeo

by Rodeo lover from Chicago, IL on Tue May 30 2006

I got this car in 1998 as my first real automobile and it has been with me since. I love my car, I actually call it Harvey because it is almost a person to me. I have driven it cross country twice and have had many numerous road trips in between then. It has held up really well considering the extreme conditions it has faced and the roads it has traveled. I bought it exactly 8 years ago this spring and have only 82,000 miles on it. The only think that was a little annoying is the CD player jammed twice within in a year of having it and the air condition hasn't worked since 7 years ago. Those things still haven't slowed down my car at all. I had to get the tires replaced at 75,000 and the fan belt has been replaced twice as well, but other then that my rodeo has stayed with me for a long time without any real problems. Great first time car, perfect for camping, biking, anything outdoors. I do see myself driving this car until it physically breaks down on me, but I doubt I will have it until 100,000 miles. That would be huge if that was the case.

Worst used car I ever bought

by Used Rodeo owner from CT on Tue Nov 09 2010

Bought this car with 106,000 miles on it as a second car. Alternator went, new brake job went, ABS brakes had to be replaced, O2 sensor system had to be replaced. Now the shifter is difficult to move out of park. This car has been a nightmare!

Does not recommend this car!!

Consumer Reports Got This One Wrong

by ElTransitoNo3 from Baltimore, MD on Fri Jul 20 2018

I still see plenty of Isuzu Rodeos around. I liked my 98 Rodeo 5 speed manual so much I bought 2 between 2002 & 2015. The car is solid, safe and is great for moving furniture, or kids. Mileage averaged 20 city to 24 highway. Very reliable although I cannot attest to the automatics. I can only assume the automatic is the reason for leading the list of cars NOT to buy. The manual is fantastic though a little slow to get warm in a mid-Atlantic winter. I put heated sheepskin covers on my seats which helped. The other flaw was having to remove & store rear headrests when the back was in cargo mode, small potatoes in the long run. Overall a great bargain if you can find one!

Our Take on the 1998 Isuzu Rodeo

Say you're a Washington bigwig and Kenneth Starr slaps you with a subpoena. What would you need to get past the press pool?

How about Isuzu's new Rodeo? For 1998, this sweet little sport utility vehicle gets a makeover and thankfully, the Rodeo has the same feel that's made it such a success in the past. Plus, it's the perfect vehicle for running over those media types.

Of course, I'm not advocating this by any stretch of the imagination. After all, this is a civilized sport utility, capable of climbing the great heights or clambering up your driveway. Fluffy will be safe from harm, given this vehicle has 7.1 inches of ground clearance.

Your license, on the other hand, might not be. But... Read More