2000 S-Type

$128 - $8,620  MSRP Range
2000 Jaguar S-Type

3.4

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2000 Jaguar S-Type?

Best car I've had

by James from Charlestown, In. on Sat Mar 15 2008

I bought my 2000 S-type 4.0 in May of 2002 as a retirement gift to myself. It had only 9,000 miles on the clock with two years of factory warranty and now has 58,000 miles. Only problem I've had is a cracked coolant reservoir which I replaced for $100 and the valve cover gaskets are leaking oil, which will cost about $800 to repair. I hear horror stories about Jaguar reliability, so I guess I've been lucky. Nobody can believe the car is eight years old, and in my opinion the styling is ageless. There is nothing else on the road that looks like it, it still turns heads wherever I go, and when you get down to it, that's a big part of the appeal. I've owned Accura, Lincoln, and Toyota, and none of them feel quite like this car. It's like every time I drive, it's the first time all over again. It's a certain feel that isn't for everybody; it's a Jaguar. This cat is made for the freeway. Depreciation has been heavy; however, that's not important if you plan on keeping it forever. I do wish the gas milage were a little better, getting about 24 mpg on the highway and 17 overall. More interior storage space would be nice, too. The six-disc CD changer uses up all the glove box.

A very nice automobile

by Jag_Lover from San Francisco Bay Area on Wed Apr 11 2007

We've owned S-Types for 10 years now. We bought our first one the year the model was introduced. there were some new-model woes, but we were fortunate to have a dealer whose service department was proactive in helping resole the issues (some minor electrical problems and a torque lock problem for which there was a very simple work-around). Once the kinks worked out, we were left with a very reliable car. so reliable that when we sold it, we bought another S-Type.

love it.

by birdlegs from Tulsa, OK on Fri Jan 08 2010

I purchased the car in 2005 used. I have had no problems with it; the performance is great. Because it is a 2000 model, I want to sell it in order to get the tech upgrades, i.e., satilite radio, GPS, seats warmer, etc.

good buy for me

by Rustyy from Michigan on Tue Jun 17 2014

I don't know why everyone degrades these s types so badly, I bought my 2000 s type with the 3.0 in Feb 2014. I got a great deal on it, because the transmission had issues, previous owner was dumb and apparently the shop he went through was too. Transmission slips every now and then, that's the ONLY major issue I've had, but I deal with it, its called maintaining your fluids! And changing your linkage... Ya the headliner needs to be reglued, a a window needs a new motor so what, its minor stuff. Only thing I don't like is the cost of a key, hope to god you never have to do that because it costs between 400-600 per key.

Awsome car for the money

by Silver Lady from Fort Rucker, AL on Fri Apr 20 2007

I bought a pre owned 2000 S-Type (53,000 miles) for my wife. She is LOVE with it. We have had no problems and all recalls were completed before I bought it. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Best Car I have EVER Owned.

by CMUeller from okoboji iowa on Wed Oct 18 2017

I bought my Jaguar 6 years ago. It had 70,000 miles. Everyone else was afraid of it and I got a real deal. Yes rear wheel drive is not good in winter. Only repairs have had are the starter, the thermostat and now the timing belt. (very expensive, but good for another 100 thousand miles. It is a beautiful car and it is mine. It has 100,000 miles and I will not be putting much more on it as I am retiring and take it for joy rides.

Looks and runs great

by Jjs337 on Mon May 14 2018

Stylish and reliable, great performance. Ice cold air conditioner, interior design is excellent. 4.0 liter V8 in a powerplant under the hood. Jaguar did a good job on the S type.

Excellent car for the money

by TCar from KY on Tue Jun 06 2017

This car is great. It drives well, the engine is very quiet, and the interior is comfortable and stylish.

Jaguar S Type

by Jagvette from Queen Creek, AZ on Fri Jun 17 2011

I have owned many cars including Jaguars and when Ford took over I was not impressed, they have used a number of 'Ford' parts from other Ford and Lincoln models which is not a bad thing as this helps keep the cost down, William Lyons (founder of Jaguar cars) used to do it all the time to great effect. The S Type has plenty of power and has all the luxury you would expect from such an expensive car, but buying it used is great as the initial off the forecourt loss is already done, therefore this car is great value for money. While the room in the back seats is not immense it is adequate and would be OK for `normal? adults, if I had a complaint it would be the lack of room under the hood to work on anything but of course this could be to do with the fact that I wanted the V8 not the V6 and both use the same body shell. As I do all the maintenance myself the cost of this does not concern me however should it need to go to a dealer for something I cannot do because it requires special equipment the hourly rate are quite high. Overall the car is great but before purchasing one the prospective owner should do research on the vehicle at `club or vehicle forums? but do note not all stories are true and often problems listed are the exception not the rule.

Great Luxury Car

by Joseph III from orlando on Sat Nov 06 2010

This car is great. I bought mine with 45k miles and the money was well spent. I now have 92k on mine and have had no issues. Im looking for one for my niece thats how much I trust it. You get your money worth spending $10k on a $55k car. The 4.0 is the one I drive. I dont know about the 3.O And I dont know why they get bad reviews.. I think every car can have problems if you dont take care of them.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2000 Jaguar S-Type

A Jaguar is elegance personified, but the all-new S-Type is elegance with an up-to-date twist.

It is an evocative stew of heritage styling, state-of-the-art chassis and two thoroughly modern powerplants. Toss in a huge helping of high-tech gadgetry, add a few bits of leather upholstery and stained maple veneer and the result is an automobile that is quick and agile, yet tasteful and sublime.

The name pays homage to the 1960s 3.8 S-type, as does the retro styling. Although Jaguar is owned by Ford Motor Co., the S-Type was designed, styled and developed at Jaguar's Whitley Engineering Center in Coventry, England. Manufacturing is done at Castle Bromwich, near Birmingham, England.

The S-Type... Read More