2002 X-Type

2002 Jaguar X-Type

$556 - $7,120  MSRP Range
2002 Jaguar X-Type

4.5

Have You Driven the 2002 Jaguar X-Type?

AWD is awesome in winter

by Scat from Port Jefferson, NY on Tue Jun 29 2010

Jaguar X-type all wheel drive with the deluxe 3.0 V6 engine, plenty of pick-up, unbeatable traction. Fantastic Connelly leather seats, walnut wood interior trim, six peaker stereo system, electric moonroof, this cat's got it all! Spacious trunk, split fold-down rear seats, comfortable for four adults.

Great Ride

by Jag Guy from Denver, CO on Tue Dec 28 2010

Purchased used in late '07 with 88,000 miles on it. I knew Jags had reliability issues but I loved the car and bought it anyway. I have a 3.0 with 5-spd manual, and major problems started soon. The first one was the "throttle body" which controls (electonically) engine speed. Car went into "limp" mode. Replaced for $1500. Air conditioner compressor replaced for $800. New driveshaft for $700. Front shocks repaced for $1500 (rattles). A few other things taken care of over time. All that said, the car is a fabulous ride, quiet, comfortable even for an 8-hour (or more) trip. And for the last year and a half I have had no problems of any kind. The clutch and the tranny have been fine all along. I certainly recommend this car to any car enthusiast who understands that you have to pay attention and that stuff happens and you have to deal with it. I find that it has been worth the effort.

Best Car Ever

by Danger from Chicago on Wed Feb 16 2011

Bought car new in 2002, when 1st released after demo in France, have 124,000 reliable miles, great car, great handling, good performance and economy, great in Snow as good as Jeep Cherokee, better than my Quatro Audi. For comfort and price, what a car!

I Was Love At First Sight

by British Car Lover from Menomonie, Wisconsin on Fri Nov 28 2008

I have owned my X-type for more than five years and it still brings a smile to my face every time I approach it in the parking lot after a long day at work. Turning of the key initiates a chorus of lights and relays that are followed by the engine coming to life with a sound that affirms I am in for a treat. Modest pressure to the gas pedal produces a subtle pull that defines the phase ?smooth as silk.? Having a Jaguar is like owning a piece of jewelry that you can drive. Yes, there were a few issues with drive shaft bearings, defoster trim, and CV joints that Jaguar had to remedy. Despite its short comings, it is a great car. I can get about 20 mpg in town and more than 30 mpg on the highway if I behave myself. There might be better cars out there but I really don?t care. I love my Jag.

My Jag xType - At 161,000 miles

by Yachtboy from Massapequa, New York on Sat Sep 05 2009

I've had my X type since late 2002. It's a 2.5 litre with a 5 speed manual tranny. It had a few minor glitches early on, but Jag fixed everything without complaint. I've just turned 161000 miles and I'm still on t original clutch. Other than routine maintainence like brakes and tires and oil changes at 5000 miles, I've never had a problem with the car. Oh, I changed the spark plugs at 120,000 miles because I got worried they wouldn't last much longer. I was wrong. When they came out they looked great. I run the car on mid grade (89) fuel, and get 22mph around town and 29 to 30 mph on the highway. My one complaint? ONly one cup holder up front in this model year. What were they thinking. I will keep this car until it falls down around me, which means they'll probably bury me in it. And the Leaper on the Hood says it all.

A Pocket Rocket

by Larry from Louisville, KY on Sat Jan 10 2009

What a great car! AWD, 5-speed ('wish it was a 6- or 7-speed because it's got plenty of breath left at 80 MPH), 3.0L, DOHC, 24-valve, excellent reliability, 28 MPG on trips. My '02 is an emerald metallic green that matches my '67 E-type 2+2, owned since '69.

Great car

by Ford Products Man from Gwinnett Co. Georgia on Tue Oct 26 2010

Comfortable, performs well, great gas mileage with V6 and 5 spd. manual. My wife's car, she loves it. Replaced a PT that she loved and is a perfect fit.

Luxurious Ride

by scat from NY on Wed Aug 26 2009

Performance, looks, its got it all...make sure you get the 3.0 engine, the 2.5 was underpowered and Jaguar eventually stopped making them. The leather interior is top-notch.

NEEDS MORE FEATURES

by Nev from chicago,IL on Mon Apr 12 2010

WONDERFUL CAR, to be a Jaguar i think the car needs more features tho it has many, it does not tell when when its time for an oil change nor does it have a tire pressure monitor. this car is very heavy on the road, it make you feel safe. i bought my 2002 X-type only 3 months ago and i love it! but there is not much space in the rear seats for a full size adult.

best car I ever owned

by wilks from on Sun Apr 11 2010

Sport edition.. had Connoly leather smell for 8 years best factory paint job of any car I've ever seen. Gorgeous car..sad they stopped making them....

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2002 Jaguar X-Type

Before we clocked the first mile on our test vehicle, we were favorably disposed toward the 2002 Jaguar X-type -- the so-called "baby Jag." What's not to like about a near-luxury sedan with a brand name, a rich tradition and all-wheel drive that starts at around $30,000? But after a week behind the wheel of the X-type, we found more to fault than to praise in this new mid-size entry.

He: We drove the X-type the same week we had the new Cadillac CTS in our driveway, and you couldn't find two more disparate designs in the near-lux segment. Where the CTS is edgy and high-tech, the X-type is more subtle and traditional, in keeping with the heritage of the British brand, which is owned by Ford... Read More