2003 X-Type

4.5 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.2 out of 5 starsValue for the Money

be carefull of 2.5

by 02hockey from Manitoba Canada on January 4, 2009

This is a great auto. The faster you go the better it handles. By far the best buy in a sports car for your dollar compared to BMW and Audi. Be very carefull of the 2.5. The trans will go on all of them and this is right from the Jag dealer. When I bought mine I did not listen to the mechanic and bought the 2.5 instead of the 3.0 because the price was better. What a mistake,a bearing in the transfer case went at 40,000 miles. Lucky for me it was on warranty. It took 4 weeks to get another in as there were so many being changed that they were on back order. The way to go is with the 3.0 with the sport package. This is hard to find as they are such good cars that no one wants to get rid of them. Best chance is to ask the dealer if one is coming off a lease and for them to let you know when it arrives. You won't be sorry. My wife was driving ours in Canada and she was doing 100 and I told her she better watch there are no cops around or she would be thrown in jail. She forgot the speedo was in miles not km. Runs all right on low blend but sure purrs on the high grade gas, that is the only down fall at 1.00 per litre.

Luxurious and Fun

by Mitch Safdie' from California on November 12, 2016

I bought my 2003 Jag X model this month (11/2016) from a used car dealer that sold it "as is". I had to put some money into some fixes from the start and so any negatives there have to do mainly with the previous owner just letting things go and the auto dealer doing a little but not much to help. However repairs are not that expensive...pretty much close to other cars and the joy, luxury, power and overall performance is great. If you buy one, have a little money set aside for a few standard repairs you might expect with a car having ovet 100K on it and then just enjoy. They are reliable cars...just need to be maintained.

The most beautiful car I ever owned!

by The Brooks from Middletown,CT on February 25, 2011

What a sweet ride-not the greatest on gas(otherwise I would have purchased a Corolla)but handles very well-esp with AWD. Everyone loves the way it looks-a pretty kiddie!

Wow, wish I would have bought it sooner!

by Carbuff from EL Paso, TX on November 13, 2006

I bought my 2003 X-type Jaguar used. I have never enjoyed a vehicle as much as I have this car. All the control on the dash are within easy reach and the cruse control and radio controls on the steering wheel are great. I really enjoy the leather interior. I would recommend this car to anyone wanting a entry level premium car

Drives as good as it looks

by 174th from Monroe, NJ on June 8, 2016

Bought new and waited 6 months to get it since I ordered it with only the options I wanted. The nav system was not something the dealers had been ordering because of the 2,200.00 cost. The nav system was rated the best for all vehicles built in 2003. I did get it. Overall, after having driven it 140k miles to date, I plan on driving it a few more years. Normal wear and tear and has been maintained by my local Jaguar Dealer since new. I opted for the 17 inch wheels with a full size spare tire which makes the car a real standout with the British racing green metallic paint, this was a 500 dollar option. The car still looks like the day I bought it. I clay bar detail it twice a year. This car goes really great in the snow due to the AWD.

Best performance car I've ever owned.

by Calejag from Centerville, PA on December 14, 2017

I used to be a GM guy and owned a couple Buicks. Then, after hitting a deer and totaling my slats Buick I found a Jaguar X-type and as nice as my LeSabre handled, my jaguars (I now own 3 of these cars) handle 20 times better! It feels like you sit right in the curve and it handles like a dream on the curvy PA roads I travel. Also AWD and gets around great in winter. The absolute only downsides are low ground clearance and if you're tall it's tough getting in or out.

Great cool looking car.

by chancellorf from Seattle, Wa on January 3, 2018

This car meets all of my needs. It is roomy, fast and luxurious. Haven't had one problem with it, but mine is only at 80k miles,

Jaguar X-Type

by Gino from DuBois, PA on December 2, 2010

I purchased a 2003 Jaguar X-Type with 37,000 original miles in September 2010. I did have one incident with the car two weeks after I had purchased it. It would turn over, start, idle nice and then stall out as I put it in reverse. Eventually it would quit starting all together. The big problem is that I live in rural PA and the nearest Jag dealer was 120 miles away. I had to have the car towed to Pittsburgh only to find that a corroded wire caused the issue. Of course that was $800 later. However now after getting the wire fixed, I love the car. I was looking for an AWD vehicle, with a little bit of class and I am very pleased with the car. We have had some snow the last couple of days the car does not slip a wheel. Very pleased so far. The interior id very nice, the car is very stiff and sporty and handles nicely.

Good value

by Signalman from Thousand Oaks, CA on October 27, 2013

I purchased my 2003 X-type new in Dec. 2002. Great looking car. No major problems. Minor problems like a leaking water pump and a leaking thermostat. Both problems fixed easily. With 131K miles on the car, the both the engine and transmission have performed well with no malfunctions. The 2002 X-type did have problems with the 5-spd automatic trans. but my 2003 has had no trans. problems since I purchased it almost 11 yrs ago. The engine (6 cylinder, 3.0 liter) is smooth and has plenty of power in almost every situation. One recommendation I would give is to purchase a 2003 over a 2002, as a used car. The 2002, being the first year the car was made, did have some problems, especially with the transmission. Gas mileage for my X-type is "not bad". I get, overall, about 22mpg in city/highway driving combined.

Jag XType Brilliant

by bhockey47 from Huntington,, NY on February 2, 2011

I bought an XType from a used car dealer, and it turned out what I expected, a truly used car. My most recent Jag XType was purchased privately, with all of the records and an extended warranty. The car has performed brilliantly.

1 2 3