2006 Jaguar XK8 Consumer Reviews

4.0
Average based on 2 reviews

2006 XK8

by from Florida on May 2, 2014

Best looking convertible on the road. Well, maybe the Rolls comes close. New Jag styling is not as sleek and resembles other high end convertibles.

A Dream of a Car Come True

by from Dubai, United Arab Emirates on October 3, 2006

Taking this car out on the road for the first time, I was a little apprehensive about the lowness of the vehicle compared to the sedans I used to drive. But the car helds its own as it jostled amongst the SUV's and higher vehicles. Only when driving other sports cars did I realise that the XK is not that particluarly low. The car was a joy to drive and easily managed to transfer the power to the two rear wheels. There always seemed to be accelertion on tap available to nip in and out of traffic. Took the XK out on an open road and was doing 240 km/h (137 mph) without the pedal hitting the metal, but my sensibilities to realise that the laws of physics can be unforgiving slowed me down. And the handling of the car is second to none, since whilst the car held the road with no complaint, I was being thrown inside the cockpit due to my own foolhardy manouevers (got the bruises to prove it!). The boot is also large enough to accomodate a couple of golf bags (the criteria for Jaguar) but to me that meant that I could put my luggage and a small holdall when driving to the airport. The down sides for me are the fact that this car did not come with the manual option but relied only on automatic transmission. All very well for the amount of power available, but the gear changes seemed a little on the lagged side in my opinion. The biggest complaints are the brakes and cockpit size. The brakes were soft at best for this kind of car. I would have liked to have seen a more positive braking capability, like on the Nissan Maxima, on this kind of car. The cockpit size for people above 6 feet in height can also be a little problematic, especially with the convertible, whose top is a couple of inches shorter in height. Finally the wheels. At about USD 250 each for the cool 19" low profile tyres and with a lifespan of no more than 15,000 miles, they are an expensive item. All in all, a car with curves to take your breath away, the power to match and ignoring the little maintenance issues, a great car to buy. My only reservation is to buy new since the quality may not hold up with a used Jaguar with multile previous owners. She is a one owner gal.