2002 Liberty

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2002 Jeep Liberty?

After 10 years I have to let it go - Hate it

by SteveKJR from Atlanta on Fri Dec 27 2013

Bought this car new in 2002 - drove it over 200,000 miles never an engine problem. Normal maintenance included oil change ever 3,000. Drove the vehicle mostly highway miles - 21 MPG - can't complain about that - lots of power when needed. Over the years replaced the radiator with a lifetime warranty - AC clutch then AC with lifetime warranty. Just recently I replaced the Ball joint in the rear wishbone that stabelizes the rear end. Changed out the Rear End fluid because the speed indicator would go from 0 to 60 and then back pulsating. Replaced the battery 2 times The sensor is in the rear end for those of you who don't know. After 185,000 changed the Tranny fluid - with new filters (two in this tranny). This vehicle is not a money pit - all things mentioned above are normal maintenance items. Not included were several recalls that took care of mfg items. So with all being said I am sad to say I need to get a newer vehicle. Last week a lady pulled in front of me and I T-boned her doing 40 MPH. The front drivers side is pretty well demolished - the other car was tagged at the front door post broadside hit. So it's been a great car it doesn't owe me a dime and I hate to see it go - but I guess it's time to move on.

I love this car!

by Commuter from Roseville, CA on Fri Sep 04 2009

I've had my Liberty Limited for over six years and loved every one. As the second owner I've there have been normal repairs of a Crysler product but it has never given me any major problem. I've driven mostly highway miles and she's performed admirably. Acceleration is terrific with the 3.7L Six.

Good used

by umpire from Denver on Mon Mar 19 2012

Bought 2002 jeep liberty with 60000 original miles. It was absolutely spotless. The only thing I dislike about the vehicle so far is the gas mileage. I thought it would get a little better in town but is averaging about 16.5 and with gas going up and me driving around town all day wow. I guess its a sacrifice I make for the use in the mountains.

Awesome car for a young family

by Jeep Head from California on Sun Oct 29 2006

I got a Liberty when starting my family, had a Wrangler before. The Liberty isn't a big off road rig, but it can get you there in comfort. Never had any problems with the car, but had to trade it in for a bigger SUV. I wish I had the MPG of the Liberty now, was avj. 17 to 23 now I'm getting 12 - 15 in my Expidition. Over all I was extreamly satisfied with the Liberty.

Loved it!

by MommaSRQ from CT/FL on Wed Nov 06 2013

When I purchased this car in Nov 2001 I was thrilled, and still so today. but alas she needs some major work [A/C, tranny] and I will not put out the money . She has lasted for 169,000+ miles. Sure, sometimes the interior lights flicker when you put the directional signal on, but it makes me smile. My problem is picking a new car. Do not like the new Cherokee. If Jeep was still producing this I would buy another.

Good Car

by off roader from lincoln ne on Mon Apr 07 2008

This car runs well and i would recommend anyone who wants to go offroading or just easily get through snow this is a great car to have. No major or minors problems since i bought mine in mid July.

Great car that doesn?t show its age.

by Jeepgal02 on Sat Jul 28 2018

I?ve owned my 2002 liberty for about a year now and have had very minimal problems with it. The car gets me to and from where I need to go without a problem. The only downfall is the car is a gas guzzler! If you?re only driving locally, I would reccomend this Jeep, but if it will be your daily driver to a far distance, I?d go for a more compact, and gas efficient car. Overall would recommend and has made a great first car.

I love this little jeep

by Pjf from Calgary on Sat Feb 10 2018

I bought this just to get to the construction site every day, it had 250,000 kilometres on it and it drives great always starts and doesn’t leak or burn oil, loves the slippery snow, great heater just fun to drive, just puts a smile on my face every day, may not be the fastest but it will get you there and back, but whatever you do don’t let it overheat and change the oil regularly, I see some have over 300,000 kilometres on and still going great, I paid $1600 for my 2002 it has a little rust but looks very good for the money, I bought it thinking it won’t last long but I’m sure it will surprise me, it just won’t stop it is just amazing little Jeep, you either love it or hate it. I installed factory heated seats to the cloth front seats now it is toasty in there even at minus 30 degrees centigrade gas mileage is pretty poor but don’t buy if you are looking for that, but powerful 3.7 V6 will go anywhere, have fun get one you will never regret it.

Great Vehicle! off road and on road commuter

by HunterMan from Finger Lakes NY on Sun Mar 16 2008

Does everything from towing to off roading. Shift on the fly is awesome! Comfortable, great handling, power and looks! Plenty of room for what type of vehicle it is, would buy another one!

This is the best car I've ever owned.

by Bob Boilerman from Elkhart, IN on Thu Sep 21 2017

Always wanted a Jeep. We bought this 2002 Liberty in 2014 as a used vehicle with 37K miles on it. It now has about 165K on it. I do all of the maintenance on it. I have had to replace the A/C condenser coil, and the brake rotors several times, but I found out that I was over-torquing the lug nuts. The gas mileage sucks but the reliability makes up for it I guess. Tranny is starting to hesitate at times and will prob need replaced, but I LOVE THIS CAR! We get plenty of snow here in northern Indiana and I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN STUCK with this 4WD. I would buy the same car again in a heartbeat!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2002 Jeep Liberty

I lived in Virginia for several years, and the history-drenched state did not give up its storied traditions easily. A running joke in the Old Dominion was: How many Virginians does it take to change a light bulb? It takes five; one to change it, and four to talk about how great the old bulb was.

That same line came up earlier this year when DaimlerChrysler announced that it would replace the venerable Jeep Cherokee -- a sport-utility vehicle pioneer with roots dating to 1984 -- with a new SUV, a compact called the Jeep Liberty.

For those mourning the loss of the Cherokee, I would recommend a philosophy with strong New York ties: Fuhgeddaboudit. The 2002 Liberty looks better, handles better... Read More