2009 Borrego

4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

We love this car!!!

by umgoblue80 from Washington, DC on December 13, 2011

We bought a 2009 Borrego after checking out a lot of other SUVs with third row seating. We've had it for about 2.5 months now and we love it just as much as the day we bought it. It has everything we wanted and most of all it didn't cost an arm and a leg. We have 2 kids under 4 and the car seats fir in the back with no problem. We have a dual jogging stroller that fits in the back with ease and we still have room for all our groceries. The car has 3 different power outlets, great ground clearance, and with over 250hp the pick-up seems to be better than average. The only two drawbacks I have found so far is that a) I don't like the angle of the headrests, so I flipped 'em backwards. FIXED. b) You have to open the entire back every time. You can't just open the glass. Oh well, my buddy has a Nissan Armada and we compare our cars all the time. He loves his car and for the $45K+ he paid, he should. I'm more than happy with my similarly equipped Borrego that I got for $15,500!!

Super large SUV!

by Roger from Republic of Panama on September 18, 2011

I rented a Borrego in early 2010 for two weeks having never considered buying one for myself. Needed the cargo space and it looked huge....which it is. I've had Mercedes, Jeep, BMW & Range Rover SUV's since the early 90's....and this one may be the best. It has the largest cargo and the best value. Bought used in April 11 with only 9500 miles with leather and power seats for only $19,000! Imported to Panama where I needed a large SUV. This car is still sold in Canada and many other areas of the world so parts should not be a problem. I am very pleased, and the gas mileage is pretty great!

One of the Top Three

by RangerMK from St Louis on February 25, 2011

Other than the less-than-expected gas mileage with the V6 engine (it's now consistently getting 20-21 on the freeway), the Borrego quickly went into the top three of cars I've owned (alongside my late, lamented '01 Nissan xTerra and '92 Ford Probe). It's proving to be exactly what I'd looked for as a replacement for my '07 Jeep Commander: lighter, more power, better handling, better visibility, still has the third-row seat and, like the Jeep, doesn't get stuck. The selectable 4Hi/4Lo is an added bonus, the vehicle has outstanding traction and control in rain, snow and occasional ice. Regret Kia pulled it from the market after only one year but then again, I know own a somewhat rare (dare I say "exclusive?") vehicle.

If you like chevy trailblazer this is better

by marty1st from npr fl on July 29, 2009

Trailblazer, envoy and assender, Borrego got it plus its seven passenger with room for your legs in the third row,v8 and v6, plenty of power and style,those were nice vehicles now kia makes it, 5yr 60 thousand mile bumper to bumper warranty and more

Best SUV Ever

by Love Big Cars from Colorado on February 10, 2011

Over the past weekend we were on our way to look at Kia Sorentos and ended up at a completely different dealership then planned and at this dealership was a 2009 Kia Borrego. I had never heard of this before, we test drove and fell in love. The only thing that we didn't pay much attention to was that it was rear wheel drive we found this out later when I was looking at paperwork. However it still does great in the snow, my husband had a time getting used to it but he has only ever driven 4 wheel drive or front wheel drive in the snow. I had no problems in the snow but have driven rear wheel drive in the past. Absoultley love it! It feels like you are driving a luxury/sports car instead of a SUV. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I heard this model is no longer available. To bad because it is a great SUV.

Good Deal

by Doc from West Virginia on August 9, 2010

I purchased used 09 model. Looked at Ford, Chev in the same class. They offered less interior room, especially head room. I am 6' 2'' and have ample room. Many of the creature comfort features come standard but cost extra on Ford and Chev. Very Pleased with the pep of the 6 cyl engine. Also, the third row seating is a plus with grandchildren. Overall, I am pleased with fit and finish of vehicle. Everything works well and is within easy reach. I have the optional "blueConnect" and I could not be more pleased with it. Setup was easy and the sound quality is better than listening on my cell phone. I would recommend theis Borrego with out hesitation.

LOVE MY BORREGO

by SUV BABE from Flagler Beach,Fl on March 6, 2010

Love the room had a sebring conv couldn't get MOM in the back seat. handles great I had Caddies and this rides better then they did. Got all the bells and whistles and still paided less then I did for them. Hope they still make them when I need a new one this will be the car I will look at first. Best thing insurance went down ,I feel safe in the car also because the way it is built has a truck frame. Made by the same company that makes Hyundai and I have one of them also just for short trips.I am driving this one more now .

Bring back the borrego

by Navy wife from Lancaster,Ohio on November 21, 2014

I bought my borrego in 2009. I love it. Its comfortable, stylish and enough room for my big family. I've had it for 5 yrs now without a problem until it hit 95,000 miles now I'm an a monthly basis of fixing something. Altinator, starter, a/c, and now the heater/ ac motor is going out. The traction control will turn off on me for a week at a time but then fix itself. I don't know if the problems I'm having now is just wear and tear or because it was the first borrego that came out and the bugs needed fixed. But I can not complain with 5 yrs of absolutely no problems with it until now. I do wish they would bring it back. I really don't know why they stopped makeing them. I would defiantly buy another!

wish I could talk Kia into bringing them back

by jacksonclan from ST LOUIS MO on March 29, 2014

We were looking for a 4x4 and almost bought a Yukon Denali for around $64,000. but due to the rude people at the dealership, we left. A friend recommended that we try a Kia, so we did. We told them we wanted high clearance and (true)4 wheel drive and a third row of seats but wanted it small enough to fit in our garage. They were just unloading a black one from the truck. It was OK. then we DROVE it!!! WOW...for a v6 it would really go!! And the brakes would stop you on a dime!..Plenty of room in the third row for two LARGE adults. The best part, we got it for right at $25,000. We were impressed, too, by the safety record. Unfortunately, we were caught in a 7 car pile up on I270.....we were hit head on and in the side and in the rear.......the car gave its life for us BUT the three of us walked away without a scratch....no so for the several others that were taken away by ambulance. It took me 11 months to find a used one that was still in good shape. But nothing else would do!! I love the ground clearance and feel I can go anywhere with the turn of a dial!! all wheel, 4 high or 4 low....and my husband has pulled a trailer with a farm tractor on the back....pulls like there is nothing there. The mileage is not very good, but I will sacrifice that for its ability to get me where I need to go in snow and its pulling power and its safety! I wanted ground clearance (in case I needed to go through the field next to my house) the ability to pull heavy objects, third row of seats (even though I rarely use them) smaller size so it can fit in my garage and its just easy to park, real 4 wheel drive and great acceleration and braking. GOT IT!! My old v6 was peppier than my v8, but I figure the power on the v8 was for pulling, not for racing. My husband travels world wide and sees the MOJAVE (as it is called elsewhere)all over the place. I wish Kia would consider bringing it back to the US...Go drive a used one, if you are lucky enough to find one in good shape BUY IT!! Or if you are REALLY picky, go spend your $84,000. on an Infinity Q56.

KIA Borrego - Superb SUV- Wish KIA still made it.

by The Virginian from Virginia on December 12, 2015

This is the best car we have ever owned. We have owned or driven Lexus, Mercedes Benz, BMW and a Land Rover Discovery. This SUV performs as well or better in every category. We bought our Borrego new in 2010 at a price the fraction of the above vehicles, and it now has 105K miles. In five years owning it, the only cost has been regular maintenance and $305 dollars to replace a front end tie rod--that is it! And it really has not had an easy life as it has been used to tow a Four Winns boat weighing in at about 5,000 lbs. Comfort and performance are way above par. Step on the gas, and the 3.8L V6 responds instantly. The leather interior is sharp and comfortable. The car still runs perfectly, and we hope it will run another 100k miles because it is the perfect SUV. We wish KIA would consider bringing back an SUV of this size, quality and reliability.

1 2 3 4 5