2012 Optima

4.6 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.6 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Best Car I have ever Owned.

by Hero from Washington, DC on March 1, 2012

I am 56 so you can imagine I have purchased many a vehicle in my days and this car by far is the best EVER!!! I am 6'6" and this car fits me just fine especially the head room and I have the panoramic sun roof. The power is beyond expectations and my current mileage is 30mpg back and forth to work and long distance driving is was at 35.1mpg. Stereo is extremely loud and clear. No problem with being able to see, i.e. blind spots, and love the looks. First time getting gas and a guy approached me and said how he really liked the car and that just blew me away. Never had that happen to me EVER!!!! What I also enjoy are the little things that Kia has added, interior lights come on when approaching the car, if I unlock the doors and do not get in it automatically re-locks itself, rear seats fold down and gives you ample access to the truck, and also my wife had parked the car and the wheels were turned excessively to the left and when she went back into the car the message board between the tac and speedometer informed her to realign her wheels. I could really go on and on about this car and how many heads it has turned but I recommend you test drive one yourself and you will be very amazed at this car.

EX with Premium but be careful

by New Optima Buyer from Glen Ellyn IL on February 8, 2012

The Optima is a great vehicle but there is an issue with some that has yet to be fully solved. On the 2011 and with some 2012's, there is a pulling left issue on some cars. There were two TSB's (technical service bullitens) from Kia that were directed at this issue. My dealership simply alligned the car and told me the rest of the issues were in my head even after showing them the specifics. From the research out there, once it gets handed up to Kia, they do have a remedy for the pull left problem. Other than this issue, which Kia has promised to resolve, the Optima is a great car for the money. Bottom line, you must test drive the vehicle that you want to buy before accepting it. If it has a strong left pull or tendancy to drift left, do not accept delivery of the car. Do not let a service manager chalk it up to the crown of the road and the low profile tires.

I am blown away!

by Atlanta Guy from Atlanta, GA on June 29, 2012

I am a type of person who keeps cars for a long time. My previous car was a 2001 model and I was on the lookout for my next car. I attended the Atlanta Car Show earlier this year and wasn't really impressed by any of the usual suspects apart from higher-end luxury brands that cost $35K+. I finally got to the Kia section and I was blown away by how nice the Optima looked! I had never given Kia a thought prior to this car show. The Optima had a very European & chiseled look. I knew I loved how it looked, including the trunk space. However, I wasn't sure about price nor performance. I checked out the sticker price and to my amazement, the Optima was cheaper than many of the basic cars plus it had all the luxury features of cars that cost $5K-$10K more!!!! I went in for a test drive at a local dealership and I was impressed with how well it handled as well as the turbo 274 horsepower!!! I could not only get great gas mileage when I decided to be cost effective but I could also punch it if I need the extra power or for fun. I continued to do my due diligence for several months. All the car reviews had nothing but great things to say. I decided to pull the trigger and I bought the 2012 Optima SX last week. I am truly in awe of this magnificent work of art. I have "raced" a few other higher end luxury cars and they have all been surprised with how I can keep up and even beat them as well as looking good doing it. They are surprised how much power this car has. I have the same quality car they do with $10K still left in the bank! I also like the fact that Optima has a very fresh look and it isn't saturated in the market like other cars that now just look uninspired and boring. You get the most bang for your hard-earned buck with this car. Great job Kia! Highly recommended!

Stylish and worth the Money

by Optima Fan!!! from Mount Morris, MI on December 28, 2011

I currently own a great 2012 Kia Optima EX. It is quite possibly the best vehicle I have ever purchased! It's a full sized sedan with tons of room inside the cabin and in the trunk. The trunk space is so huge i can fit at least 3-4 sets of Golf clubs in it! Its gets me outstanding gas mileage averaging around 34mpgs with my everyday driving to and from work. When I first test drove the car I was sold just in the convenience and comfort of the interior. The amount of options and standard features that you get for the price are astounding. Features such as standard Bluetooth, Leather seats, Dual Zone climate control, Power drivers seat and tilt and telescopic steering are just the tip of the ice berg. Then you have options like heated and cool front drivers and passenger seats, with heated rear seats, Navigation with a Back-up camera in the NAV screen, heated steering wheel, and many more options all for a VERY competitive price. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone in search of a full sized sedan. Also, this vehicle is made right here in the US in Georgia!!!

Loved 1st Kia Optima SO bought a 2nd Kia Optima

by Kia Owner since 2002 from Marysville, WA on December 31, 2011

Just received the 2012 Optima EX GDI as a Christmas present to replace my 2002 Optima SE. I loved my old Optima but the 2012 Optima is definitely an upgrade. From the heated seats & steering wheel to the Navigation System I'm really in love! It's a very classy looking car on the road. People make the assumption it's a more expensive car & are really surprised to find out it's not. Having been a Kia owner for 10 years, I'm very pleased with the maintenance history of the Kia versus other cars that I have owned.

I traded in my Acura

by DLD from Atlanta, Ga on December 27, 2011

I just purchased the SX TurboCharged and I love it. I traded in my Acura and feel like I have upgraded. I was very surprised in Kia and never thought their cars would drive, look and ride like they do. I love the navigation, handsfree, large sunroof and moonroof and push start. excellent for the money!

2012 Optima Hybrid has it all

by Former Subaru and Acura owner from Denver, CO on June 2, 2012

The first week driving my Kia Optima Hybrid, in black with convenience package and leather. From doing a LOT of reading online in the past 2 weeks before buying, I am not disappointed. 1. Regarding poor reviews of the "uncomfortable seat": Leather seats feel much better than the cloth version. Perhaps not as luxurious as some competitors, but perfectly satisfactory after some detailed adjustments for height, lumbar support, thigh angle, etc. 2. Regarding mixed reviews of the gas mileage, my current average is 38.3 according to the onboard MPG calculator; almost all reviews I read indicated that the calculation at-the-pump is perhaps 1-2 mpg lower than this. I will find out in a week or so when the tank runs down. have driven over 280 miles this week, and still 2/3 tank left. Amazing. Would have been filling up tomorrow, if it were my outback. Driving 1/3 city, 2/3 freeway. 3. Regarding acceleration; very zoomy. Also test-drove the turbo version; ok, so not that zoomy, but plenty for me as i trade up from a decade-old vehicle. 4. Regarding its looks: I've had a couple folks stop me in the parking lot and ask how I like the car. I enjoy telling them about it; love its looks. The black is spectacular. And, so glad I did not choose the technically comparable (and perhaps slightly better) 2012 Camry hybrid; really bland styling, and the stat that I read that got me (and rang true): the average Camry buyer is 65. Moreover, I enjoy driving a car almost no one has on the road--This good review from me notwithstanding, please don't all go out and get one.

LOVE my new Kia Optima SX

by Girlflyer from San Diego, CA on May 22, 2012

Admittedly, I've only had my new Kia Optima SX Turbo for 5 days, but I am in love with this car already! It's fast, it's economical (well, it was today when I finally took my lead foot off the gas), and it's every bit the head-turner as a new "X, Y or Z" at WAY less cost. LOVE the air-conditioned seats, the quiet and steady ride. This 4 cylinder turbo-charged car has as much power as my truck, which is a V8.

Great Sedan for the money

by Brutus1988 from Fort Worth, Texas on May 7, 2012

I bought a 2012 SX primarily to commute to work. I have gotten many compliments on the looks of this car. This car is a great combination of fuel economy and performance. When drive aggressively it is really quick and handles well. When driven passively I get about 31 mpg..24 with a heavy foot. Inside I find the seats very comfortable and even though I am over six feet tall the passenger seated behind me has plenty of room. The trunk has got to be the largest in its class and the rear seat pass through is very handy.

I love this car so much!

by Beth from Central Illinois on August 13, 2014

I've had this car for about 14 months and wanted to give a nice long run before I reviewed. I love this car and am still excited to drive it. It has beautiful styling, handles great, is peppy to drive. Comfortably accommodates 4 large adults and still feels comfortable after driving all day (considered a midsize but just as roomy inside as my old Taurus). I was very impressed that through the notorious nasty winter of '13-'14 this car never once left me stranded, never slid or stalled driving on winter roads, and never failed to start even in the -25 degree winter mornings. I have put on 30,000 miles in the time I've had it and regularly get 36 mpg--in a roomy comfortable car! Bottom line, I did tons of research before settling on this as the best combination of style, reliability, consumer satisfaction ratings, efficiency and price and have been very happy!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16