2006 Rio

2006 Kia Rio

2006 Kia Rio

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 2006 Kia Rio?

Great car

by Love my Kia from Seminole, OK on Sat Apr 19 2014

My 2006 Kia Rio LX is the best car I have ever owned. We live in the country so have to travel quite a distance for doctor appointments, shopping and out of state trips so my little car has over 200,000 miles on it. We have kept up the maintenance and the car is still running like a champ. Plenty of power and not burning oil. No major repairs. The only thing I would change would be to make the seat leather as the material shows everything. We are going to look at a 2014 Kia on Monday, but I'm not sure I am ready to get rid of this little gem yet.

Son's loss/my gain

by Cargazer from Henderson, GA on Fri Mar 15 2013

Bought 2006 Rio with 26k miles. Only paid $5300 for it. Knew NOTHING about a Rio, but my son needed a newer car than his 1969 VW. Well, he wanted to keep driving the Bug so I inherited my own vehicle. It has 77k on it now. I have replaced the purge valve and the #3 coil(code P0309). The air bag light has been on for 2 years, but the local dealership can't or won't honor a federal safety recall. A piece of electrical tape over the light works OK. Overall, I have really enjoyed this little car. I replaced the timing belt at 60k. This is an easy vehicle to work on. Biggest positive is a smooth, peppy 1.6. Biggest negative is a stubborn reverse(this is the 5-speed). All in all it is a really good deal.

Great little car

by Koreankar from Bloomington IN on Mon Aug 26 2013

I love this car. For a small compact car it is great. Low cost repairs, great on car cheap insurance. Looks great. I have recommended this car to my family. Kia truly has the power to surprise.

Love My Rio, buying the 2013 soon!

by BD from ORLANDO, FL on Sat Jul 21 2012

I bought my 2006 Kia Rio in January 2010. This was my first car so I had no idea which car I should buy when I was doing my hunt. We went into Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Ford, and Chevy but all were too expensive and didn't have what I was looking for. Orlando Kia was one of the last places we went to and I was a bit unsure when I first drove the car. I loved the way it drove but I haven't heard much about Kia so I didn't know how good of a car brand it was. After I test drove it and looked up reviews online I decided this was a good car for me to get, I also got a great deal on the car and a 100,000 mile warranty on it (not like I used it much, since the car is so reliable) I love my kia rio and driving any other car is just not the same! And no the trade in value and resell is not the best, you won't get your money back on the car but if you're looking for a car that is reliable and will last well over 100,000 miles, this is the car for you! I'm trading in my car for the new 2013 rio in the next month or so. I'm in love with this car! <3

I would buy another Kia

by Family Car from Speedwell, VA on Mon Jul 23 2012

The only grip that I have is that the interior is a very light beige. I have children and it does not hide stains well. When I buy again I will defiently look at Kia's again, just buy on that has dark interior.

06 KIA RIO LX

by Pavelek from on Sun Feb 26 2017

Very good car, the best I had. Very good on gas . I bought this car three years ago and never had any problems.

2006 Rio

by equestrian55 from East Hartford, CT on Tue May 01 2012

I drove the car before buing it, and liked the overall looks and performance of the car. The turning ratio on the Kia Rio is excellent. It gets aprox. 30 miles per gallon. It handles well on wet roads and has very good cornering controll. For a small engine size, the car accelerates rather quickly. The only thing that I don't llike about the Rio, is that is dosen't have any Parking lights.

A good little car

by Heather from Somers, CT on Mon Aug 06 2007

I've had my '06 Rio LX for about a month now, and I've been quite pleased with it. I love the body style and find the interior roomy and comfortable (my backseat passengers haven't complained about legroom at all). Not having the power package has taken some adjustment, but overall, the features really do everything you need with nothing excessive. I've yet to have the "What does this button do?" moment with my Rio. The sound system is awesome, and the trunk is enormous for a small car. Drawbacks? So far I've found the fuel economy to be slightly under the 29/38 EPA range (the AC uses a lot of gas), and highway handling isn't quite as good as I'd expected. But I'm happy overall, and I'm pretty confident that it's a vehicle that will last for many years.

Outstanding value for the money

by Muscle car man that likes gas mileage TOO from Frederick, Colorado on Thu Nov 16 2006

I bought a 2006 rio LX automatic and just love it. I have done a lot of research on Kia's redesign of the Rio and I don't think I have come across a bad review yet. Reliability? who knows but with a 10 yr 100,000 mile powertrain and a 5 yr 60,000 mile bumber to bumber warrenty I guess they beleive in their product. My buddy has a 2002 Rio and has 138,000 miles on it and it's still running strong. He commutes nearlly 175 miles a day on it. He maintains it well and it shows because he has had no issues with the car at all. The ride is outstanding, Interior is roomy (For a compact car) The exterior is fresh and looks sporty for a sedan. The engine is well balanced and (Come on people it's no muscle car That's not why I bought it) nicely powered for the cars size. I really have to watch my speed because it flows in traffic remarkablely well. The automatic shifts smooth and crisp. The only gripe I really have about the car is no Cruise controll. (But it is primarily my wifes car and she never uses cruise controll anyway) Oh one more gripe is the stupid seatbelt ding ding ding that is annoying. It comes on the second you remove your seat belt. Over all I am very pleased. I got the car for 12,400 with a rebate and the "DEALER PREP AND HANDLEING" what a buch of bologna!! It's an outstanding commuter car that gets great gas mileage, It is comfortable, looks great and seems to be built just as well as the toyota's and Honda's but costs $5000 cheaper than the Corolla or Civic that are comperablly equiped. Resale value? Who cares if this car lasts me 7-10 years and I get 150,000 miles It's worth it in gas saveings and piece of mind. Great everyday car and If I want muscle I still have my 71 SS Chevelle still siting in the garage APPRECIATEING in value. or I can drive my 2004 F-150 FX-4 and get the 14 miles per gallon and still blend in with the crowd. Nah I like the 40 MPG I get on the highway with this little thing.

Great Car

by I Love MPG from Denver, CO on Mon Sep 28 2009

Great car, super great mileage, I love my Rio! It's pretty quick, fun to drive, light and small. Easy to park, easy to drive. I love Kia, they cover everything under warranty!

1 2

Our Take on the 2006 Kia Rio

The low end of the new-car market has come a long way in the past few decades, and nothing testifies to that better than the 2006 Kia Rio.

Built in South Korea and sold through Kia's 640 U.S. dealers, the new Rio sedan (and Rio5 hatchback wagon) arrived in August. It became, with a sticker price on the base model of $10,570, the cheapest car offering six air bags -- two in front, two on the side and two side-curtain bags.

And it's the second-cheapest car on the U.S. market, after the $9,455 2006 Chevy Aveo, according to www.autos.com.

With a better-than-anticipated ride and surprising roominess, it's a solid choice for first-time or cash-strapped buyers.

When I think about my first car, a 1981 Chevy Chevette... Read More