2009 Rio5

3.9 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

awesome daily driver on the cheap

by Crickey from La Salle, IL on May 5, 2010

I have owned this car for about 1 month now and love it. First of all I never thought I would own a Kia. We were looking for a small car with good gas mileage that I could tote all of my work stuff around in and still have room for our new baby. This was not eve on our radar when we began our search. We were looking more towards cars like the Dodge Caliber. Well we put the two cars side by side, literally, and found the only thing the caliber has more of is features that I don't need. The price difference between the two was $5500 so we made our decision for the kia. The Kia we found more comfortable and much better on gas mileage, we are currently getting 37.5 mpg, the satellite radio is a great feature. I already found out the interior is simple to clean. the rear cargo area floor comes right out and all of the cloth can be cleaned by a steam cleaner. The seats have become more comfortable the more I use the car. I am a big guy and love sitting in my little rio. The engine is nothing to write home about, it isn't very peppy but what can you expect out of a very cheap car that gets great gas mileage, I don't need to be able to stomp on the gas and get to 60 in 5 seconds and it passes just fine. The only cons I can think of is that it does not come with cruise control. We had the dealer install cruise as part of the deal and we are very happy with that. We bought this car when it had $2500 incentive so we got the car for $11K which is less than I paid for my last used car. I would like to sum up, this car is the best vehicle dollar for dollar we could find and we are very shrewd shoppers. We love it and will for a long time

I love my Rio5

by Ria from Barre,VT on June 2, 2010

This car is great on gas and drives great. It looks fabulous and the hatchback is convenient to get into for a trip to the beach or just plain old grocery shopping! I really love my Kia Rio5....

Decent car for the money.

by KIA FAN from Monroeville, PA on November 26, 2017

The 2009 KIA Rio 5 was a very reliable car. The ride is very rough and doesn't accelerate well enough to get on expressway quickly. Good car for local driving. Not very luxurious. The older it got the more that went wrong with it. You get what you pay for. Was a very inexpensive car.

Worst car purchase ever!

by silverjym from los angeles, california on August 10, 2013

Purchased new, car experiences multiple failures with complete lack of support via dealer or Kia. For example, multiple delamination of windshield (!). Kia's solution once delamination occured again (out of warranty)? "Buy a new car or file insurance claim". Multiple sensor failures, fragile paint, very uncomfortable if you are tall, very pronounced road/engine noise, radio failed 2,000 miles out of warranty (Kia would not replace), even with very conservative driving mileage not as represented. Once car is out of warranty, even with repeated failures which occurred during warranty, Kia customer service never returns phone calls. Based on my experience with this car I will never purchase any Kia product.

Does not recommend this car!!

Good car

by larrythecat from Stony Brook, NY on November 10, 2017

2009 Rio5 has everything I need. Good looks. Reliable. Smooth. Fun to drive. Has all the right creature comforts (power windows, locks, mirrors, Sirius radio, USB ports, nice interior) but not all the extra features I would never use.

great value for money

by Rio5 owner from on November 2, 2009

Excelent standard features ie: heated seats. Performs well, low insurance, great mileage (5.9L/100km) on the highway with a car full of camping gear in the mountains! only drawback is you have to move the seats up to seat adults in the back.

I don't think so

by TEEJAY from Dayton, OH on May 1, 2014

I would not recommend this car to a friend... nor an enemy. It is inexpensive to buy but surely expensive to fix. I bought this car in Oct 2009, 3 weeks later the transmission went out and I had to get it replaced. Since Decemeber 2013 I had to get the blower motor replaced $230, 1 Iginition coil replaced $250 (and there are 4 total), entire fuel canister replaced $250 (common problem in Kia's and was told by the dealership to not fill the gas tank pass 3/4th a tank... ???) and today I have to get the starter replaced.. unknown cost.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Car

by Chowbrow33 from Maple Ridge, BC on November 1, 2016

I bought this Rio5 brand new in 2009. It's loaded with every option that could be in it. A 5 speed trans. It's been everywhere and reliable as can be. I added a hedder and 2.5" exhaust all the way back. It makes 130 hp at the wheels and now it does 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. I get 550 km per tank which equates to almost 40 mpg and I drive it hard. I put Wilwood brakes and Eibach springs on it as I use this car for track days as well. It's really quick and amazes everyone that this little car is a Kia. I would recommend this car for anyone looking for a fun reliable car to drive, very reliable with great gas mileage to boot! A few mods will make it super fun and not break your bank either!

Practical Gas Saver for the Right Price

by New Kia Customer from Prospect Heights, IL on August 13, 2011

I never thought I'd own a Kia. Before this, I always had powerful cars - Lincoln Continental and Subaru LEgacy w/ Turbo. This Kia is AWESOME on gas mileage compared to my other cars. I love the interior, easy handling and the MPG the most. It's not as powerful as my other cars but I'd gladly give up some horsepower to cut my gas expenses in half. Can't beat the value of what you're getting for the price you're paying w/ this car!

Great Car

by Twenty-something Commuter from Chicago on October 3, 2013

I bought this car because I was moving to a city where I would have to drive to work every day. I was attracted to it because of the gas mileage and the overall practicality of the car. So far, I have not been disappointed. This car responds well (steering, breaks, gas), has a decent amount of space, and does seem to be pretty good on gas. The gas tank is a little small, so at first I thought I was filling up more often, but then I realized how many miles I was getting. I think the estimated/advertised MPG is a little high, but it is definitely good. People say that this car drives a like a go-cart, and I kind of agree, but it definitely has decent pick-up. I previously owned a RAV4 and dreaded merging onto highways but with the Rio5 I have had no issues at all. I'd recommend this car to anyone based on my experience so far.

1 2