2004 Sorento

2004 Kia Sorento

2004 Kia Sorento

4.2

Have you driven the 2004 Kia Sorento?

Still Going Strong ay 180K

by Highway Traveler in Asheboro from Asheboro, NC on Sun Sep 27 2009

I had submitted a review 2.5 years ago(see above) and I thought I would give it an update. My '04 Sorento has now clocked just over 180,000 Miles and is still going strong. I am still very pleased with my Sorento and I drive it essentially every day on business and have averaged about 45,000 miles per year so far. The car still rides very comfortably and has not developed any annoying squeaks or rattles. The interior has held up as well if not better than my previous Acura and better than my previous Volvo. Maintainence has been about average and I have replaced the timing belt twice at 80K miles and 160K miles. If you are considering the '04 Sorento be sure that the 2 recalls (crankshaft pulley bolt and the intake manifold butterfly valve) have been done or plan on having them done. The recall fixes these two areas, but if not performed the failure of either can lead to more severe problems. I have also replaced the coolant expansion tank with a new and improved model (part is $25 at the dealer) and a failed oxygen sensor. I would consider this normal for a car with this type of mileage. I change the oil every 5-6K miles and have not noticed any increase in oil consumption even with 180,000 miles. I measure my mileage and fuel for reimbursement purposes and I average between 20-21 miles per gallon with mostly highway driving which is slightly better than the 19 MPG that is listed. Not great, but considering that this car is nearly as heavy as a Volvo XC90 SUV it is understandable. All and all, I highly recommend the Sorento. Of the many cars I have owned, I have found the Sorento to be one of, if not the most enjoyable. It is a safe and secure vehicle. Even with the mileage that it has, I would not think twice about jumping in it and driving across country. I plan on driving it for, hopefully, another 180K miles.

Just rolled over 300000 miles

by Highway Traveler in Asheboro from Asheboro, NC on Wed Feb 01 2012

This is getting fun...My Sorento rolled over 300,000 miles this past week and just keeps going and going. I have only had 2 other cars surpass the 300K mark and in both cases they were tired and ready to be put out to pasture. Not the Sorento. I do not know if it is a body on frame arrangement or something else, but it still drives much as it did when I bought it at 50K miles. The ride is still firm and there are no rattles or squeaks. Oil consumption remains constant at about 1 qt every 3000 miles. The interior has held up very well and the leather has no cracks. Since 180K miles there have been a few additional, minor problem areas, but nothing critical. A couple of things I have learned is to put only high grade brake rotors on this car as, given the weight of this car, cheap ones have a tendency to warp. Another important item is to never reuse the crankshaft pulley bolt when replacing the timing belt. This is one maintenance item I always have the dealer perform. You will find several websites where owners berate the Sorento for failed Crankshaft pulleys (or even destroyed engines) because of this failure. It is avoidable if performed correctly so do not let your backyard mechanic try it. By the way, I recommend replacing the timing belt every 80K miles as they have a tendency to let go around 120K miles. Like most cars with timing belts, a failed one will be very costly. The only other known weak point will be a plastic Y fitting in the coolant system that appears to crack after a few years as well as the coolant expansion tank. If you Sorento is 100K miles or more you may want to have them replaced. The Transmission on the Sorento appears to be rock solid and I have actually had a transmission mechanic come up to me and say he thought the Sorento transmission was one of the best designed transmissions on the market. Based on my experience I have no reason to disagree. Other repairs have been to replace 2 front wheel bearings, a thermostat and a failed universal joint. Gas mileage remains in the 20-21 mpg range with the highway driving I do. If you stay in town and, especially if you are aggressive in your starts and stops, it will quickly fall to 14-16 mpg. All in all the Sorento, while not perfect, has been VERY surprising. I really am not quite ready to get rid of it and I may be extending my expectations to 400K miles. Without a doubt, it is one of the best cars I have owned.

great car

by me from seattle on Thu May 01 2008

love my sorento!!I bought my car new and have never had a problem with it! It is comfortable and I believe it to be a very safe car, considering that I was rear-ended by a semi truck at 35 mph and no one was seriously hurt. I would recommend this car .

surprizing

by sandhillmil from southern indiana on Fri Oct 28 2011

at 130K the interior is still beautiful. fit and finish is outstanding. MPG sucks but if your looking at an older 3.5L you should have known that going in. drives like a much smaller unit, very nimble. some rust issues in the rear door wells but in general I'm pleased

Best Car I Have Owned

by James from Taylors, SC on Thu Sep 14 2006

The 04 Sorento is wonderful, based upon the contruction of the Lexus series, you feel right at home in the cabin. It is roomy and comfortable with a quality stereo unlike many other manufactures. Everythign is easy to get to, although the stereo is a little bit of a reach for someone tall that has to sit back from the wheel a ways like me. The quality and beauty of this is why I bought it. The ride quality is astounding. I travel on bad roads alot and it feels liek I am riding in a much more pricey car. Hands down, Kia has made a wonderful package for this. I will definately consider Kia for my wife's vehicle as well.

I fell in love with this car

by Brittamber from Gadaden, Alabama on Tue Jun 06 2017

I absolutely love it! It's a great family SUV. I am extremely satisfied with it. It was a great buy!

Reliable, comfortable and good sound system

by dooshlin from Florida on Wed Aug 16 2017

Plenty of room for 5 full sized adults and all the gear you'd need for a weekend away. Roof rack (optional) gets put to good use, and the sound system is amazing. Perfect for any sized family, or for one person to get around. Gas tank is large and will take you a long distance on one tank.

Great Car

by Otis from Houston on Wed Feb 14 2018

This car is great it’s a little small but that’s all some people need. Excellent value and it great on fuel. Has been well maintained.

Great SUV

by Love my mac from kansas city, MO on Thu Jul 20 2006

The seats are firm yet comfortable. Actually, they feel like they could have come out of one of Mercedes-Benz' European or Brazilian models. You don't sink into them, but they are very supportive. The driver's seat is especially comfortable. It is ideally positioned to give the driver a good view of the surroundings. Visibility in all directions is excellent. The rear seats are positioned high, theatre style. People seated back there can see out almost as well as the driver. With 10,000 miles on the clock, the whole automobile still feels very tight. No rattles or scuttle shake were detected even over washboard gravel roads. This indicates the body of the Sorento is very stiff, which is rare in a vehicle - especially an SUV - in this price category. Body stiffness is very important, critical even, since without it body panels won't line up properly and handling will be badly compromised. The Sorento is sold in North America with a 3.5L, 24 valve, DOHC V-6 engine that develops 192 hp and 217 lb-ft of torque. A smooth 5-speed manual is standard. A 4-speed auto is optional. Regular power steering on the LX feels over boosted. Speed sensitive power steering is available on the EX. The Sorento uses the fully boxed ladder type frame from a Kia light truck model not sold in North America - Kia is one of the largest makers of light trucks in the Far East. With 9 cross members in the frame, it has a sturdy feel. The ride is very nice not to soft but not harsh by any means either. To put its ride into better perspective, I can say it's quite different from a 2004 Honda CR-V, which I had tested the previous week. Compared with the more refined CR-V, the 4,360 lb Sorento 4WD feels more ready for the heavy lifting. It feels willing and able to toss a line to the 3,750 lb CR-V to tow it through the really rough stuff. Like the CR-V, the Sorento has an exceptionally tight turning radius (36.4 ft). My Sorento, an LX with 4WD, had the 5-speed manual. I enjoyed using this tranny. Disc brakes on all 4 wheels are standard as are side impact air bags. The Sorento carries the NHTSA 5-star safety rating.

great vehicle

by styme from va. on Fri Oct 15 2010

bought it new in 2004 and has been very reliable, gets great gas mileage. it has never let my family down in ice, snow or rain. i would suggest the manual transmission it is great to drive. we also have a jeep so when we had a deep snow it kept up with it.so i highly recomend this vehicle we have the lx model with the 5 speed.

1 2