2016 Soul EV

4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

The good the bad and the misleading of Kia Soul EV

by NickT from Dublin, CA on February 1, 2017

If your intention is to drive a very comfortable electric vehicle around town or on VERY short trips -- then this would be a great car for you. I've owned the Soul EV for a couple of years and think that, overall, it's a very solid car. I'm tall, and this car has more headroom that most other cars - EV or otherwise. The interior is nicely appointed with comfortable (heated and cooled) leather driver and passenger seats, a large, easy to follow touchscreen and voice accessed GPS system, three different settings for how the steering performs and several other positive elements. It even has decent leg room for people in the back seat. The storage space in this hatchback is pretty limited, but fold down the backseats for extra room when you need it and you should be fine. The sounds system is just OK -- certainly not high-end, but not bad, either. As for performance -- well, here's where I ding this car. In addition to the above, I went with the Kia Soul because I was told it would get at least 90 miles to a single charge. And at first, when I got the car, the charge actually went up to 106 miles. After that however, the mileage distance kept shrinking, and now after a full charge is says 83. This is still better than some other EVs on the market, but not what I expected. Now, here's the real deal when it comes to evaluating mileage claims on the Soul EV. If you drive 35-40 miles an hour, you'll get achieve the 90 miles and maybe more. But if you're like a normal owner, you'll also take the vehicle on the freeway/highway - and at 65 MPH, you will NEVER get close to the 90 miles advertised. For example, I live approximately 32 miles from San Francisco International Airport. Starting with a full charge of 85miles+, when I get home, I will have 7-10 miles or less of power still available. However, if I happen to get caught up in bumper-to-bumper traffic, the vehicle will perform much better, and I'll end up with 25-30 miles remaining. If Kia would invest in better battery technology (ala Tesla) this vehicle would be fantastic. It's actually surprisingly quick off the line and very smooth at freeway speeds. So, if you want -- and can afford -- an EV to take longer drives, buy or lease a Tesla. If you want to stay pretty close to home and want to feel good about helping the environment, then you can get this vehicle and show a little "Soul."

Great Affordable EV

by nivekztiwokles from Bellevue, WA on January 3, 2017

Before leasing the Soul EV I drove the Volt (small back seat), i3 (small back seat and harsh ride), Ford Fusion Energi (drives like you're towing a boat and useless trunk), Leaf (cheap interior, less than great crash tests), and A3 etron (poor EV range). The Soul EV is an amazing car with a quality interior, comfortable seats, great infotainment, a roomy back seat, decent cargo space, and a comfortable ride. The range is better than expected (I've gotten 120miles), the L3 enables quick recharges on the go, and the fuel cost is crazy cheap - costs about $3 to go 100 miles with Washington's low electricity costs. Finally, yes its affordable when leased with the promos.

Love it so much got two of them!!!!

by James O. from Campbell, CA on February 24, 2018

Kia! You truly impress us!! This car is amazing well built cars!! We had other EVs and they were just ok cars but Kia Soul EV+ made us very happy!! We love how it drives on the road and handle. It’s very quiet car at highway speed. Interiors materials are good quality material and doesn’t feel cheap! Seat!!! The seats are amazing!!! We drove 20,000 miles in first year on one of them. So much fun!! We are looking forward to our next Kia replacement EV. Hope happens soon!!! Come on Niro BEV!! Where are you???

A car for all peeps

by Outside the box from So. Yarmouth, MA on May 28, 2017

I am not computer savvy and appreciate the fact that altho the Soul has the ability to be Sirius/Bluetooth/mobile phone connected, I choose not to use them and love the fact I don't have to learn how to drive all over again because I can't figure out the gadgets.

Smooth, quiet ride

by CoryB from Snohomish, WA on April 27, 2018

I love driving this car. It isn't zippy, but it has smooth acceleration, and costs only roughly $20 a month for 1000 miles in "gas". I love the light colored interior and the panoramic sunroof, but the navigation is lacking and constantly sends us through residental / farm roads. The voice navigation has no Point of interest lookup, so you have to say the address. It takes less time to just ask google to navigate where i need to go. Sirius XM traffic data is lacking coverage as well, leaving the navigation experience very lacking.

Soul EV+ is the best small car I have ever driven.

by REB from Seattle, WA on December 1, 2017

For a small car, this Soul EV+ is a very comfortable car with good visibility. In the past I have rented gas powered Soul standard models. The EV+ is a vastly different feel over the gas models. My other car is a Lexus GX470 so that makes me pretty picky on features and ride. I felt the Kia Soul EV+ with Sun & Fun package has most of the features as my Lexus with about 80% or better ride quality. The Soul EV+ with the Sun & Fun package is presently the only EV available with a sun roof with the exception of a Tesla which is well over twice the price.

Gas Free and Loving it

by Dizrig1 from on April 27, 2017

I was looking for a electric car to commute 50 miles every day. This is that and more. Stylish and fun, a great buy.

The most fun car I'v ever own.

by tam66 from Silver Spring , Maryland on May 2, 2017

I just love my KIA Soul EV. It has a very civilized and quiet drive. Very comfortable and I can see again the hood of my car when I am driving, it is rare nowadays with most cars. Range could be better, but for the price it outstanding. It will save me a fortune on gas. Well done KIA, keep up the good work and I will be customer for life.

Very Reliable car I've ever owned

by Kia lover of all brands especially Soulv from Madison,WI on June 17, 2017

The hands free phone device and backup camera are great safety features. I love the color of my Kia Soul titanium with a color changing paint in the sun looks a little greenish!! It's just enough room for me and my grand babies to take some summer trips to Chicago or just to the park or mall. It's an excellent car to buy and one I'll have to past down to the next grandson or granddaughter !!!

soulev

by ev man from east meadow on July 20, 2015

I live on long island and went to my nearest dealer and jumped into a soul to see if I fit in. Asked to see an EV and he said we do not have any and will not be getting any soon........... i do not understand,,so I said see u when it happens.. i am waiting with great anticipation....

1 2