2001 Spectra

2.7 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great car for your money!

by Raul from on January 27, 2010

I bought this car brand new in 2001 and has been a great car for the money I payed. Of course I have taken great care of it. This is my first car and it has lasted me through high school, college, and still going. This car has taken many trips across Texas to visit girlfriends, friends, and family. I suggest to not look down upon Kia because they do have quality cars... in my opinion the problem is that Kia doesn't really attract quality owners.

Not the best car ever

by Pam from Chicago, IL on June 3, 2009

I bought this used with about 45,000 miles on it. Two weeks later, it went to the dealer with problems getting the car to shift. They blamed me and charged me 300 dollars, come to find out, this is a very common problem with the 2001 Kia Spectra. I will have to admit, even when she was overheating, shaking violently and dying(at 100,000 miles) she still made one last trip from Illinois to Portland, OR

Does not recommend this car!!

Service at dealer and things will be OK

by Campusbob from Patterson, NY on April 1, 2010

Have a GSX bought new. Put on better tires and car handles like the Lotus Suspension would hint at. Do not service other than dealer as some garages try and shortcut what shouldn't be. Three problems I have experienced are the shields around the exaust system, the pan under the Auto-Trans and some gas recirculator device that brings the "Check Engine" light on all the time. The Exaust Shields we loose and fall off and whats left rattles till they warm up. The pan under the tranny can scrape and get damaged to the point that it will leak out and you need to get a new tranny if not cared for. As for teh almp teh dealer can fix it but untill you get a new canister teh lamp returns within a month or two. Car is still good looking and has a sporty drive and feel even with 80K.

Our Expert Review: 2001 Kia Spectra