2009 Spectra5

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability
5 out of 5 stars Performance
5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 2009 Kia Spectra5?

What Detroit should be selling.

by Rob57 from Waterford, MI on Thu Nov 27 2008

My wife and I purchased our 2009 Spectra5 three months ago. Great little/big car. By this I mean a small package with lots of interior space. The fuel economy has been great considering it's a stick and I have a lead foot. The best thing about the car (it's red) is that it gets noticed. I personally watched this car evolve for 3 years before we bought it. It got better looking. It also handles like a dream if you know how to drive it. I have no regrets other than the fact that I couldn't have bought two at the time. People have complained about engine noise at high speeds. I have no idea what they're talking about. I say, turn the radio up. The only nick-pick I have about the car is the instrumentation. For crying out loud, the Rio has a better layout. The tachometer is hard to read in this dash. Message to Kia - Get rid of the dividers on the dash face. This car will be with us for a long time.

Love my Spectra5

by Simplicity208 from Boise Idaho on Fri Jul 21 2017

I have had my Spectra5 for many years. Throughout, it has been super reliable and has needed very little maintenance. Really appreciate that it drives the same every day - it has a few quirks, but those never change - you just get in and go. I get 30 mpg city driving (no freeways) if I don't lead-foot, and 22 mpg if I do. This little love of a car holds tons of stuff, and has been such a charm. The turning radius is great, and it's peppy enough to get me around through traffic just fine. Great visibility as there are minimal blind spots. My only qualm is that it's a little lower to the ground than I'd like. It's now got 176,000 miles, and still just perfect: engine purrs, no oil leaks, no loud noise on acceleration (not sure what others are reporting), transmission and drive-train are perfect, and if you let your hands off the steering wheel, it stays straight in your lane with no pulling. My Kia (even after all these miles) runs like a top. Only maintenance has been a new battery, timing chain replaced (as scheduled maintenance), regular oil changes each 5,000 miles (synthetic). Currently hoping to replace it for another Spectra5 with fewer miles (these cars are hard to find but a real gem if you can find one). Despite the report is that the resale value is low, quite a few folks are waiting in the wings to take this car away if/when I ever sell it - that's because I do brag occasionally about how great my little Spectra5 is. So, I will have no issue selling this car to another buyer for a good price as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Plus, it's really cute and still looks modern, despite it being 8 years old now. Other friends of mine are either paying a lot in gas, have car payments, or constantly fixing this or that. Not me. My little car is paid for, demands no repairs, and is super-cheap to drive. Besides, it's a stylish, simple, cheap way to get around! Just love-love-love my little no-drama Kia!!