2001 Sportage

$375 - $5,399  MSRP Range

3.4

Have You Driven the 2001 Kia Sportage?

Been there for me

by conbred from Gibsonville NC on Mon Jul 16 2012

My parents got me this car when I got my license, and I am now married and 21, and it's still going. I have put a ton of miles on it I know. Yes it has some issues, but most of them being minor, but they can add up after a while. The check engine light has a mind of its own, which no longer phases me. It has even been totalled, and it is still a good little car. I need to upgrade, but if it weren't for the fact that I'm not sure how much longer it's got I wouldn't even consider selling..... Heck it's got 131,000 miles and still runs smooth

MOST RELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED

by HOBBIEST from TN & TX on Thu Jan 17 2013

I purchased with 6800 miles on it, in 2002 for 8,900.00. I now have 246,00 miles. I have replaced a timing belt, motor on A/C fan, tires & battery, plugs, filters. While still under warranty the window motors on two windows were replaced at no cost. Overall, it has been most dependable car I have ever owned. The 4 wheel drive has gotten me through trips from TN to TX in snow & ice storms, when everyone else was pulled over. I have read the bad reviews by others & do not understand, because i have only changed oil about every 10,000 miles. Just so know I did finally blow a head gasket and going to put old faithful to rest. Oh one more thing, i have never had to ad coolant to A/C & it would still freeze you out when the motor went.

by Paul Merriner from Perth, Western Australia on Fri May 19 2006

This car is ok for what you are getting. I purchased it second hand with about 55k on the clock and it now has 75k. I've taken it on some long drives down south of Western Australia and have not had any problems with it whatsoever. The drive is fairly smooth and fuel consumption is great - especially at todays rip off prices. There is no way I would take this car off road and engage in any serious four wheel driving though - that's what Toyoto Landcruisers are for - the right tool for job. But as far as cruising around town and going for the occassional long haul north or south it certainly does the job.

Best vehicle i have owned

by ajj1599 from Texas on Wed Jan 17 2007

I really like this car it drives smoth and is very depandable. I have taken it to various destinations and I like how it drives plus is very spacious

Very enjoyable and fixing is easy

by Bootsbrown from Nanaimo BC on Mon Mar 19 2018

Great smooth ride, acceleration is a little rough, but for a 2.0 litre engine I don’t have high expectations. Buy parts is super cheap and it’s easy to self fix small problems. The clearance could be a little more, but if you drive smart you’ll be fine. It’s great off road and on highway if you don’t go over 110 km/h. City driving is okay but when you do less city driving your mileage shoots up. I bought it with 180k and it now has 260k and I’ve done very little work every 12 months.

Good value price ratio

by Marcos from Pembroke Pines, Florida on Mon May 22 2017

It is a good, family, safe, car. It is a good option for urban areas. I use it in a hot weather and work fine.

Extreme reliability

by Robert1986 from Newcastle NSW on Thu Jun 14 2018

Bought this car 2 years ago with 138000 km. It?s now at 185000. Apart from regular wear & tear issues that you?d expect for a car of its age, it?s been awesome! More reliable than the RAV4 I owned prior to it & that was a brilliant car too. Does lack a little power, but for a 4 cylinder engine in a car as big as it is, I think it does alright! Fuel consumption is awesome, until you get to the bottom quarter

Reliable vehicle got me to 220K still running

by Maldeus from Wheeling, IL on Wed Apr 23 2014

I both this Sportage 2002 (5 speed manual) from open auction back in 2006 for $3500 the car had 109K miles for my surprise and sins i did not test drive it when i finally left the auction i heard that differential is making grinding noise. drove it straight to KIA dealer with bad feeling that I bought a lemon. $800 later diller replaced rear differential and this the only big repair i did. Good to know that you are protected from engine damage due timing belt failure.only up to 2002 models has it. I replaced timing belt and clutch, support bearing on the drive shaft. But I consider that to be normal. Been there for me true the years so I`m happy with it. Can't comment on automatic transmission. Rear right window was not working for years but suddenly started to work. Best AC and heater i ever saw in a car. The car has no resale value that`s why I`m still keeping it.

Excellent Lil FAMILY TRUCKSTER

by Gen0 from Middleton Id on Mon Aug 04 2008

I am disappointed in the mileage is all... I compare that to my 05 Corolla that the same size engine gets 40 MPG.. I love the way it drives.. I am hoping to tweak it so the mileage gets better..All else is BOMB!!

Love it!

by KiaChick from Woodland, CA on Sun Jan 27 2008

I bought this and love it! I can feel the ground and I like that. It's not a luxury vehicle just what one needs and it handles wonderfly and it's fun!

1 2