2009 Sportage

2009 Kia Sportage

2009 Kia Sportage

4.2

Have You Driven the 2009 Kia Sportage?

Love this vehicle...

by Edgewater Guy from Denver, CO on Fri Apr 16 2010

I wanted a Subaru Outback, but in Denver they are kind of pricey. For the same price that I got this Sportage, I could get a 3 year old Outback with 50,000 miles and no warranty. I just couldnt justify having that risk hanging over me when spending that much money...I plan on owning this vehicle for a long time. Good to know I will be covered... I never thought I would ever ride in a Kia, let alone own one. Saw a commercial on TV and the first thing that grabbed my eye was the price. Started looking at reviews, and saw nothing but good things said. I went to the dealer to drive one and once I did I was sold. Now that I own it, I love it. I broke it in driving from Denver to the ski areas about 70 miles away....in auto mode, the transmission kicks between 3rd and 4th too much trying to maintain speed going uphill....in manual mode, its pretty fun to drive...you can just leave it in 3rd and easily cruise at 70-75mph up the steepest I70 has to offer..redline is 6500rpm...felt very safe running it to 5000-5500 when needing heavy acceleration to keep from getting run over by the people that haul a*s up the hill...23mpg on a round trip to the ski areas and back... The traction control and ABS all work like a charm. This thing plowed through the snow and slush with no problem, and kept a good grip on slippery and snow packed roads. I am looking forward to getting this thing off road a little bit. I know it is not a Sorrento so I can't abuse it, but it looks like it sits just as high, if not higher than an Outback, so it should get me well off the beaten path. It has skid plates underneath the oil pan, and front muffler...hopefully i dont need them, but good to know they are there... If you drive in the city a lot, this vehicle is incredibly easy to park, and has a really tight turning radius. The rear seats fold easily and are very comfortable. When upright, they are adjustable and recline nicely. There is a fold down center arm rest as well. I'll miss the Sirius when the 3 months expires, but I have a lot of music on my mp3 player, and the placement of the usb port is perfect. The stereo itself sounds really good and is easy to use. The climate controls are well placed and easy to use as well. Cup holders are big, and the door pockets can fit a decent size bottle as well... Overall, this car drives well, is comfy, roomy, and a very practical and functional vehicle. If you want to spend at least 5k more for a CRV, RAV4 or Outback, be my guest. I don't think any of those are worth the difference in price.

A Great Family Starter

by Auto Engineer from Ohio on Wed Oct 29 2014

My wife and I purchased our 2009 Sportage back in 2011. Her requirements were leather, Nav, a sunroof, and a pretty color (red). The local dealer found this for her and she was sold. Over the last 3.5 years and 35k miles (currently 77k on the clock) owning this car I have made a number of observations that I would like to share with potential buyers. The amount of maintenance we have performed on this car has been limited to Oil/Lube and wipers. We are likely due for some brakes in the near future, but the pads still have life and there are no issues with stopping. The tires do seem to wear out quickly. The dealer put new tires on when we bought it and they're already shot. I'm disappointed with the mileage. While we didn't research the expected mileage heavily, it's disappointing that I can get into a full size SUV and get better mileage (we avg. 19-20). When washing the car, it is very important to pay attention to the black plastic trim that is EVERYWHERE on this car. I use Mother's Back to Black, but other products work well. It needs to be protected regularly because the Polypropylene used does not perform well with UV. We store the car in the garage and still have trouble if we're not regular with the treatments. I am an interior engineer so I pay special attention to interiors. This being said, the build quality is good, however the design leaves a little to be desired. I expect this from a less expensive Kia, but little things like the armrest being too low to actually use as an armrest annoy me. There was an option for an adjustable height armrest, but it still doesn't adjust high enough for me (6'4" guy). Our model was decked out with all the options, and I can't believe there isn't one steering wheel mounted control. We also have an A/C outlet that is inexplicably falling apart. As far as driving, the car is responsive enough for city and highway driving. It's comfortable on most roads, but can still be twitchy and uncomfortable on the lesser kept roads. I have yet to find the right tires for this car as I'm not sure whether to take advantage of it's 4WD capability with multi-terrain tires, or throw LRR tires on and hope for better mileage. Visibility is good, and the seats are ok for 3-5 hour drives. We once set out for an 8 hour trip and the firmness of the seat made me a little more sore than normal that evening. The folding rear seats are typical for most modern small SUVs and Crossovers. Space is what I would expect from this size of chassis. One feature I really enjoy is the back glass opening separately from the rear gate. It's great when you have to stuff the trunk with groceries and you don't want to play the cram and slam game. All this being said, this car has been great for my wife and I. It hasn't cost us a dime beyond regular maintenance and is cheap to insure. It will likely see duty with our family through the first child and we'll most likely upgrade to a larger vehicle once #2 is on the way. Twins might accelerate that plan...

No buyers remorse here!

by outeast from Albrightsville, Pa. on Tue Oct 12 2010

I purchased this '09 Sportage 4WD with 28K miles three months ago. After a lot of research and shopping I found this to be the best deal around for a late model small SUV. It drives beautifully and is adequately equipped with the LX package. Cargo room is enhanced with flat rear folding seats. The satelite radio is a welcomed bonus. It lacks an engine temp. gauge, compass and outside temp. readout, but I don't consider these a dealbreaker. The front headrest position are too far forward but the headrest can be turned around for comfort. Overall this vehicle is worth checking out if you're looking for a small, reliable, reasonably priced SUV.

best car for the money

by sas from Snellville,GA on Sat Sep 12 2009

I just love driving this car. Lots of room inside even for my husband who is 6"4. I Love how easy it is to put the back seats down. The reclining seats are also a plus. Easy to get in, perfect suv with lots of room. I love the seatbelt in the back for the middle seat (shoulder strap) thats folds away.Very easy to drive and park. Best car I have owned.

one of the best !

by Roy from lebanon on Sun Sep 12 2010

my Sportage is a great 4*4, good car, heavy duty, nice look, comfortable, nice price and fuel economy, I tried it last winter and I'm waiting to drive it on snow this winter thank you Kia !

Excellent value for needs

by Soccer Dad from Rochester, MN on Tue Sep 22 2009

Bought brand new and have had this car for six weeks with 3500 miles on it already. Great mix of comfort (I'm 6'2" and 230lbs) and features to fit people or gear, fold down seats are easy and useful.

Impressive vehicle

by Ron from Springfield, MO on Mon Sep 11 2017

My Sportage has meet my every need and then some. The comfort for a smaller car will surprise you. I am big tall guy and have plenty of room in the drivers seat. The ONLY negative, the timing belt needs to be changed every 60000 miles.

Great car for one or 5 people

by actorgaedu from Toccoa GA on Tue Feb 28 2017

This is a great and reliable vehicle that I have been the only owner. It is roomy and drives great. All mechanical components work and there are very few blemishes on the exterior of the vehicle. A/C runs cold. Tires still have some tread. USB/Aux for hands free phone connection.

Love my Kia

by Betty boop from Kenner,Louisiana on Thu Dec 02 2010

I wanted a small suv and I did my research on the net. decided on a kia sportage and I love It!!!!!!!

Nice small SUV

by GM from Loveland, CO on Wed Jan 23 2013

Like everything about the 09 Sportage AWD V6 except for the lack of torque and 4spd autostick Trans. It struggles in the mountains of CO and the rolling hills of the eastern CO plains. Can't find a gear it's happy in. Looked at a new model w/ Turbo = more torque and 6spd, but the new styling raised the bottom of the windows and my wife (sub 5ft) had trouble seeing out of it. Oh well.......................

1 2 3