1998 Discovery

1998 Land Rover Discovery

1998 Land Rover Discovery

4.4

Have You Driven the 1998 Land Rover Discovery?

Good Daily Driver

by 442 Fan from Durham, NC on Sun Mar 22 2009

We purchased our Disco 5 years ago for our high school daughter. Most kids pulling up in Hondas... she was a bit different pulling in with her off-roader. She drove it for 3 years before heading off to college. Now the Disco is wife's daily driver. Oil leaks are common and mechanical repairs can be costly. Check engine light is also on often. All negatives aside, the vehicle is very well made and realiable. Highly recommend Flying Circus British Cars for repairs if you live in the Raleigh/Durham NC area. Oh, has 120K miles and running strong.

Best 4x4 you could own

by Rover 98 from Brick NJ on Thu May 22 2014

I picked up my discovery fairly cheap after Hurricane Sandy decimated the Jersey Shore. I live in a shore town, and picked this up for a couple hundred after it was drowned by the hurricane. Despite its age, having over 100k miles, and being hit and sunk by a hurricane, the car has been flawless. After doing basic maintenance that anyone should do when getting a used auto (change all fluid/belts and filters and plugs) the only thing to go wrong in two years of daily driving has been the water pump. That's also maintenance though. Let's talk performance. This is an off roading monster. No stock setup can beat this, maybe the 100k Mercedes G wagon. It's not particularly fast, but it can get out of its own way and has no problem doing highway speeds. Fuel consumption is high which was to be expected. With its torque filled v8 and locking centre differential, I'm always pulling out over ambitious jeep owners from the mud. The wheel articulation is also the best I've seen in any stock setup. This truck was designed and made to go through the roughest desert, and the toughest jungle after all. Speaking of design, the truck looks incredible. It's just a tough, go anywhere looking vehicle. Interior is also great, it has a utilitarian look but still has dual zone climate control with heated seats and room to fit 7 people. The raised rear roof makes it a dream to transport large objects, and did I mention the 4 Sun roofs? All in all, I wish everyone could own a discovery at least once in their lives.

Uses car for Off-roading

Proud Owner of a 1998 Discovery Land Rover

by Happy Discovery Owner from Billings, MT on Sun Oct 16 2016

I bought this vehicle for only $1,500.00 at a used car dealer. I like the looks of the Discovery because it truly looks big city, yet Safari sh and exotic as far as SUV's go. The vehicle has a lot of room inside of it and the back seats have an amphitheater sitting arrangement. I like the (2) sun roofs that it has and all the compartments to stow away stuff. The Engine ran very quite until one day one of my employees decided to wash the car engine. From that time forward, the engine idle speed would race at 2,000 or higher RPM's. For several months I would talk to mechanics and they all wanted to charge me 400.00 to 1,000.00 to work on the engine. I am not a mechanic, but I did some research on my own and discovered that those engines have that issue. One of the ways to bring the idle down to a normal 1,000 rpm is to just unplug the Air Intake Control plugs. I did just that and my rpm dropped back down to 1,000 rpm's just like it should. Where I live heavy snow and icy roads are the jungles that I have to drive daily during the winter months. This vehicle will be just the perfect SUV for this. I'm so excited to try it in the snow this year. I would recommend any one who likes the Discovery Land Rovers to do your homework and then be not afraid to purchase one. They are great vehicles and will not leave you stranded like so many other SUV's.

Land Rover Discovery Dependable.

by Charlie from Atlanta, GA on Mon Aug 06 2007

I have been driving my Disco for about 5 years now and have over 130k miles on it. Other than a couple of oil leaks i have had no real issues with this vehical. It is still a easy car for a do it yourself type to do a lot of the routine maintance on. Other than the MPG of which i get about 14mpg it has been a great car. Good Points. Reliable Easy to Work on Comfortable Not so Good Points Gas Mileage Top of windshield is kind of low if you are a tall person you have to lean over to see stop lights.

affordable luxury

by Kit Kat from St Louis, MO on Sun May 13 2007

Handles great. Sporty and luxurious. Every comfort that you could need. Have only had to have regular maintenance on my vehicle (oil changes, new tires and tune-ups). Mine has over 100K miles and it still runs like a dream!

Changed Opinion

by DISCOADVENTURER from Chicago on Sun Jul 30 2006

I have purchased my Land Rover Discovery about a year ago. It already had 87,000 miles. I have previously heard that these cars tend to have problems, but I just wanted to get it anyway. I loved the shape, the spartan interior, the functionality. After I have had this car for some time, I realized that it is a very serious machine and not just a toy for the rich and famous. This car has excellent handling, strong motor, and if one maintains it as it should be by a mechanic that knows the car, it should be a fairly reliable transportation. Remember, these are the cars that were build to run through Sahara desert and other unusual places. If you buy one, you will have a lot of fun with it. Driving it is a daily adventure.

TOO EXSPENSIVE TO FIX

by ROVERLOVER from WASHINGTON on Mon Dec 31 2007

LOVE THE VEHICLE, BUT EVERY REPAIR IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND IT CAN ONLY BE FIXED BY SPECIALIZED TECH. THEY DONT HOLD THEIR VALUE.

Does not recommend this car!!

How to get suckered

by trixie from Boone, NC on Sat Apr 10 2010

I wanted the car and we asked the dealer if there was anything wrong that we needed to know about he said the headliner needed fixing. The car run for three weeks then the brakes locked up, the front window leaks in the rain drips down through the rear view mirror and the key stricks in the ingination making the car grind like it is constantly trying to start after it has started. I love the car anyway but Land Rovers have to have parts from only a Land Rover dealer and you don't even want to know the prices even on a car as old as this one.

Does not recommend this car!!