Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 LR4

2012 Land Rover LR4

2012 Land Rover LR4

4.5

Have You Driven the 2012 Land Rover LR4?

Great, and safe, SUV

by M. Carter from Richmond, VA on Thu Feb 22 2018

This is the second LR4 I've owned, in nearly as many months. I can't speak to its reliability at this point as I've only owned one since Dec 2017. I can however speak to it's safety. A month after purchasing my previous LR4, it was rear ended by a Nissan Titan going ~35mph. The LR4 didn't move. No one in the vehicle was hurt, in fact within a day no one felt any after effects. While the car suffered enough damage to warrant it being totaled, it performed admirably and protected its passengers. My decision to immediately replace it was driven in large part by this.

We should all own LR4?s!!

by LR4 Queen from San Juan Capistrano on Thu Feb 08 2018

Only LR4 owners know the true benefits of this car. It drives strong and luxurious. Safe and sound for transporting your loved ones. I drive carpool for 4 years and the kids loved it! Temp controls in the back make it extremely comfortable and the quiet of the cabin promotes great conversation. Put it in sport mode and you feel like you?re driving a two seater! I hate to sell this car, it?s truly one of the best I?ve owned, but my son needs a car for school and he comes first. I recommend this car savvy driver who loves comfort and a beautiful ride.

Extremely capable SUV and perfect family car

by Spawnywhippet from San Francisco on Tue Aug 01 2017

This is a 'do everything' vehicle. It can commute, do serious off-roading, long road trip, tow boats, go skiing etc. The 3rd row of seats makes it into a great child hauler, with HVAC and audio controls for the rear seats also. Lots of cup holders and 12v charging sockets makes it great for road trips.

Comfort and Awesome Offroad

by Dino from Mesa, Arizona on Fri Jul 07 2017

I owned an 06 LR3 around 2008 and loved it. The LR4 is worlds better for reliability, comfort and power. There's nothing off road that can stop this vehicle. Long freeway trips are a pleasure and very comfortable. The 5.0 V8 pulls my boat like there's nothing there feels like a muscle car at a stop light. Love everything about this vehicle except the MPG and stops at the pump. The pros outweigh the cons by a long shot.

Great experience with car.com

by Malytime from Birmingham,mi on Wed Jul 04 2018

Great car had a lr3 before moved to a Mercedes suv missed the Rover glad I went back . Great car love it , happy with the car and the use of cars.com to find the vehicle

Most Reliable Car I've Ever Owned,

by motherhen from Chicago, IL on Fri Sep 14 2018

I have not had a SINGLE problem since 2012 with this car. I absolutely love this car. There's room for 7 passengers and a huge cargo area as well. I got roof racks installed too but really never used them. This car is fantastic in the snow and you can easily raise or lower it to make getting in and out a breeze. Love this brand and this car.

Favorite SUV so far!

by Sevs from Grand Haven, MI on Thu Jun 14 2018

We have been very happy with our LR4. It is pretty good on gas especially for a 5,600 lb SUV with the aerodynamics of a brick. The performance is great from the 5.0L V8 and the engine/transmission are incredibly smooth. I love the styling and there is surprisingly a decent amount of legroom in the 3rd row. The infotainment/backup camera is a bit sluggish and out of date, but overall I love this vehicle.

Fantastic vehicle: All is mostly well

by First time SUV owner from Chicago, IL on Tue Dec 27 2011

Living in the north I needed something where a snowfall would not have any effect on my commuting ability (traffic aside, of course). My previous car was an Acura TL, which I absolutely loved 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months (mid Dec through mid Mar) were absolutely miserable anytime there was a snow. Living in Chicago everyone either parks on the street or they park off their alley in back. Since alleys aren't plowed, my Acura (low to the ground & wide tires) would get stuck constantly. After 4 winters of this, I'd had enough, hence the change to an SUV. After I'd decided on a luxury SUV, I did a significant amount of research--reading reviews, articles, etc--and narrowed it down to the X5, Q7 & LR4. The Test Drive: X5--The BMW's seats were rock-hard & the 2nd row was cramped. Third row--really? Not that any adult would use it, but it was absolutely pathetic; even a child would be uncomfortable. I'm 6'2" and did not feel comfortable in any of the seats. The engine had nice acceleration & the vehicle felt very agile for an SUV. In the end, there wasn't very much cargo space & I thought if/when I'd ever own a BMW, I'd stick to a sedan or coupe and skip the SUV. Q7--The Audi was much more comfortable to sit in, but didn't feel as roomy as it should be given its dimensions. I could actually cram into the 3rd row, which might be useful for briefly hauling around 7 passengers--but wouldn't want to be back there more than 15 minutes. The engine (gas) was nice with smooth acceleration and gear changes. Handling was good. LR4--I expected the Land Rover to be stiff, slow and uncomfortable. I was definitely surprised! With the newer Jaguar-derived engine, it was plenty powerful and plenty quick. For as much as this hulking beast weighs, it definitely does not drive/feel like it. Great acceleration & smooth gear changes, it really drives/rides nicely. What really set this vehicle apart during the test drive was the spaciousness. There is so much glass and the cargo space cavernous, it almost gives a calming effect. The 3rd row is actually usable and could comfortably accommodate a decent-sized adult for a shorter drive (~2 hours). The special Land Rover course was an interesting part of the experience. Not that I will be taking this vehicle off-roading (though,you never know--I'm an adrenaline junky), but I couldn't help but think the X5 or Q7 would topple over on each of the obstacles. The decision: I chose the LR4 because it looks and acts like an SUV, has a great engine, large amount of cargo capacity and gives me zero worries about the snow. I wanted something large and comfortable enough for us for tailgating at football games and for a family road trip once kids come along. The purchase: 2012 LR4 HSE LUX. Sumatra black ext, black int w/ black lacquer trim, 20" special wheels. Thoughts after purchase: The interior looks and feels almost as nice as the much pricier RR & RR Sport. It's very quiet while driving (noticed by all who have ridden in it). The Nav system is the easiest I've ever used, but is slow when entering in destination information (needs a faster processor most likely). Lots of leg- & shoulder-room throughout, great storage & sound system (upgraded in the LUX) is unbelievable. It's fun to drive though the gas mileage is horrible, as expected. In the city I'm getting about 13 mpg, though in my Acura TL I was managing only 15-16 mpg in the city. On the highway the LR4 gets about 20 mpg, but I knew what I was geting into so it's no surprise! Only issue I had: Within 2 weeks of owning the vehicle, the info-tainment system went awry: it wouldn't recognize my cell phone (bluetooth), then the satellite radio stopped working, then the CD wasn't recognized & then the nav system was only displaying a 'thinking/recalculating' function--all happened over a period of 24 hours. I called the delearship and they promptly picked up the car from my workplace, dropped off a loaner and then returned my vehicle 2 days l

96,000 mile report

by RoverFan from NC on Wed Sep 13 2017

For those reading this wondering if the LR4 is a money pit, I can say absolutely not! Parts are more expensive, in some cases, but reliability has been excellent. In my opinion, purchasing a used 2012 LR4 with a solid service history is a no brainer. It appears that all the problems and complaints of the LR3 have been addressed and resolved. Love this truck and would, and will, purchase a Land Rover again.

Horrible dealer service

by Matt from Phila, PA on Thu Aug 23 2012

The LR4 is a great SUV but Land Rover service is horrible. Very very expensive and they do not do a good job. The dealers try to get every cent out of you and they can with very expensive parts and service. i would never buy another Land Rover only because of the dealers service and upkeep pricing. Other than that a great truck until 50,000 miles when it needs service all the time.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2012 Land Rover LR4

If the idea of luxury in an off-road vehicle puzzles, the Land Rover LR4 will confound. Mingling mud and premium leather is core to Land Rover's identity, and the five- or seven-seat LR4 aims to toe the line between off-road excellence and on-road luxury. It's got the hardware for the former, but how well does it master the latter?

Though the 2012 Land Rover LR4 is a powerful, capable people-mover with a posh cabin, there are competitors that offer a more refined and comfortable on-road experience.

Buried within this fortress of posh leather and walnut wood trim is a highly capable terrain master. Chances are, though, that most LR4s are destined to spend much more time in heated garages than on... Read More