2012 LR4

4.8 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.1 out of 5 starsValue for the Money

Great, and safe, SUV

by M. Carter from Richmond, VA on February 22, 2018

This is the second LR4 I've owned, in nearly as many months. I can't speak to its reliability at this point as I've only owned one since Dec 2017. I can however speak to it's safety. A month after purchasing my previous LR4, it was rear ended by a Nissan Titan going ~35mph. The LR4 didn't move. No one in the vehicle was hurt, in fact within a day no one felt any after effects. While the car suffered enough damage to warrant it being totaled, it performed admirably and protected its passengers. My decision to immediately replace it was driven in large part by this.

We should all own LR4?s!!

by LR4 Queen from San Juan Capistrano on February 8, 2018

Only LR4 owners know the true benefits of this car. It drives strong and luxurious. Safe and sound for transporting your loved ones. I drive carpool for 4 years and the kids loved it! Temp controls in the back make it extremely comfortable and the quiet of the cabin promotes great conversation. Put it in sport mode and you feel like you?re driving a two seater! I hate to sell this car, it?s truly one of the best I?ve owned, but my son needs a car for school and he comes first. I recommend this car savvy driver who loves comfort and a beautiful ride.

Expected more from LR4

by Oleg from nj on January 25, 2018

Easy to fix major of things, but wont touch any engine and transmission department. Car really good for off road and city drive but don't look at the gas cage :) Overall great car!

Does not recommend this car!!

Fantastic vehicle: All is mostly well

by First time SUV owner from Chicago, IL on December 27, 2011

Living in the north I needed something where a snowfall would not have any effect on my commuting ability (traffic aside, of course). My previous car was an Acura TL, which I absolutely loved 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months (mid Dec through mid Mar) were absolutely miserable anytime there was a snow. Living in Chicago everyone either parks on the street or they park off their alley in back. Since alleys aren't plowed, my Acura (low to the ground & wide tires) would get stuck constantly. After 4 winters of this, I'd had enough, hence the change to an SUV. After I'd decided on a luxury SUV, I did a significant amount of research--reading reviews, articles, etc--and narrowed it down to the X5, Q7 & LR4. The Test Drive: X5--The BMW's seats were rock-hard & the 2nd row was cramped. Third row--really? Not that any adult would use it, but it was absolutely pathetic; even a child would be uncomfortable. I'm 6'2" and did not feel comfortable in any of the seats. The engine had nice acceleration & the vehicle felt very agile for an SUV. In the end, there wasn't very much cargo space & I thought if/when I'd ever own a BMW, I'd stick to a sedan or coupe and skip the SUV. Q7--The Audi was much more comfortable to sit in, but didn't feel as roomy as it should be given its dimensions. I could actually cram into the 3rd row, which might be useful for briefly hauling around 7 passengers--but wouldn't want to be back there more than 15 minutes. The engine (gas) was nice with smooth acceleration and gear changes. Handling was good. LR4--I expected the Land Rover to be stiff, slow and uncomfortable. I was definitely surprised! With the newer Jaguar-derived engine, it was plenty powerful and plenty quick. For as much as this hulking beast weighs, it definitely does not drive/feel like it. Great acceleration & smooth gear changes, it really drives/rides nicely. What really set this vehicle apart during the test drive was the spaciousness. There is so much glass and the cargo space cavernous, it almost gives a calming effect. The 3rd row is actually usable and could comfortably accommodate a decent-sized adult for a shorter drive (~2 hours). The special Land Rover course was an interesting part of the experience. Not that I will be taking this vehicle off-roading (though,you never know--I'm an adrenaline junky), but I couldn't help but think the X5 or Q7 would topple over on each of the obstacles. The decision: I chose the LR4 because it looks and acts like an SUV, has a great engine, large amount of cargo capacity and gives me zero worries about the snow. I wanted something large and comfortable enough for us for tailgating at football games and for a family road trip once kids come along. The purchase: 2012 LR4 HSE LUX. Sumatra black ext, black int w/ black lacquer trim, 20" special wheels. Thoughts after purchase: The interior looks and feels almost as nice as the much pricier RR & RR Sport. It's very quiet while driving (noticed by all who have ridden in it). The Nav system is the easiest I've ever used, but is slow when entering in destination information (needs a faster processor most likely). Lots of leg- & shoulder-room throughout, great storage & sound system (upgraded in the LUX) is unbelievable. It's fun to drive though the gas mileage is horrible, as expected. In the city I'm getting about 13 mpg, though in my Acura TL I was managing only 15-16 mpg in the city. On the highway the LR4 gets about 20 mpg, but I knew what I was geting into so it's no surprise! Only issue I had: Within 2 weeks of owning the vehicle, the info-tainment system went awry: it wouldn't recognize my cell phone (bluetooth), then the satellite radio stopped working, then the CD wasn't recognized & then the nav system was only displaying a 'thinking/recalculating' function--all happened over a period of 24 hours. I called the delearship and they promptly picked up the car from my workplace, dropped off a loaner and then returned my vehicle 2 days l

96,000 mile report

by RoverFan from NC on September 13, 2017

For those reading this wondering if the LR4 is a money pit, I can say absolutely not! Parts are more expensive, in some cases, but reliability has been excellent. In my opinion, purchasing a used 2012 LR4 with a solid service history is a no brainer. It appears that all the problems and complaints of the LR3 have been addressed and resolved. Love this truck and would, and will, purchase a Land Rover again.

Horrible dealer service

by Matt from Phila, PA on August 23, 2012

The LR4 is a great SUV but Land Rover service is horrible. Very very expensive and they do not do a good job. The dealers try to get every cent out of you and they can with very expensive parts and service. i would never buy another Land Rover only because of the dealers service and upkeep pricing. Other than that a great truck until 50,000 miles when it needs service all the time.

Does not recommend this car!!

truck is nice tell it breaks

by colorado boy from denver , colorado on July 7, 2013

no problems for the first year been to the dealer 6 times in the first6 months of 2013 dealer told me to call land rover - they wouldn't help list of problems air pump parking brake sound system shifter keys battery

Brilliant car...

by needed 3 rows from San francisco on December 18, 2012

Drives beautifully - much better than I imagined for a large SUV. Wonderfully comfortable. Feels solid and safe. Tons of room - bigger inside than our old Land Cruiser that this LR4 replaces. Tons of gadgets...accelerrates very quickly.

Love My Land Rover

by Tim S from Minneapolis, MN on March 19, 2014

I have owned my LR4 for three months and just love it! Overall a great vehicle. Shortcomings include a slow to react center console and a stereo that is less than perfect to interact with. I love the styling inside and out, a classic design! I also like the V8 and brakes. Yes the gas milage is not ideal, but I knew that going into it.

Extremely capable SUV and perfect family car

by Spawnywhippet from San Francisco on August 1, 2017

This is a 'do everything' vehicle. It can commute, do serious off-roading, long road trip, tow boats, go skiing etc. The 3rd row of seats makes it into a great child hauler, with HVAC and audio controls for the rear seats also. Lots of cup holders and 12v charging sockets makes it great for road trips.

1 2