2001 Mazda 626

First Cars

by from Lehigh Valley, PA on November 23, 2010

I had this car for a manual transmission. It was kind of weak going up steep hills and the A/C took awhle to reach the back but otherwise it ran great. I had a 2001 Mazda 626 with over 250,000 miles on it from highway driving and it still ran well. Once i owned it it 2008 i started driving it in the city. Even with all of the milage i got exactly 25mpg in city driving and close to 30mpg on the highway. As a first car it was a great choice. Smooth ride, comfortale, has several compartments to keep a variety of items in. I'm also really tall and even though the car doesn't look big i fit in it no problem. I would certainly reccomend this car

Very Reliable Car

by from on March 21, 2009

Great car! Bought it new and drove it to almost 200,000 and it was still going! Everything power on the car continued to work. Maintenance this car properly and it will last forever! For people interested in value, this is the car. Waxes up very nice and interior is easy to clean and looks almost new even after tons of miles. If I were still driving this car, I would take off for Alaska in it no problems. Replaced belts twice, preventatively replaced timing belt, and some other minor maintenance. Very easy on the wallet.

most fun affordable car ive ever owned

by from on October 13, 2010

this car is a great little car. it is a quick mazda hints the slogo of mazda ''zoom zoom''. i love this car and will love it and maintain it as best as i can (not very hard)

Reliable, Powerful Sporty V6, Low Maintenance!

by from New Jersey on December 12, 2012

Great V6 car. Lots of power and performance. Very dependable and reliable. Low maintenance cost, even after a decade, which surprised me.

next beat car i've had

by from alabama on November 24, 2007

Mileage was not as good as my previous mazda 626 in 1991. Otherwise it has some enhanced features such as remote door access and electrinic ignition.

Very good car

by from SF bay area on October 22, 2006

Comfort is top notch - can go 500 miles with only 1 pit stop, no discomfort at all. Gas mileage is really good for a V6 - 25 in town, 29 highway on midgrade, althugh manual calls for premium. Bought it with 27K miles, how have 72K, only problem was a clogged fuel filter. Burns no oil (I use synthetic, change 5K miles). Auto trans shifts rough, but no problems with it. V6 is peppy. Overall best car I have owned. Use it daily in business.

depends when you buy it if it is worth it

by from cincy, oh on December 1, 2008

I got this car with about 105,000 miles on it. It is 6 cyclinders and it is an ES. I am guessing this is about when everything starts to go wrong on this car. No problems with the trans. yet(knock on wood). I am having problems like various suspension problems, coolant leaks(overheating), power steering leaks, replaced sway bar, leaking gasket. Everything elect is working fine. The rear defrost stinks. Not really good in snow. Ok in rain.

Not so reliable.

by from on December 22, 2008

I had one for a year and have absolutely not been satisfied. The car has just been falling apart constantly.

Great until 128,000

by from Woodbridge, VA on August 14, 2009

We bought this car when it was 3 years old from a dealership. There was only one previous owner, and the mileage was 65,000. The car was wonderful for the first 35,000 when it needed new brakes, tires, a fuel injection cleaning, and a tune up. This is all normal maintenance. Now at approx. 138,000 miles, we have spent $3000 in repairs in the past year alone. A hose here (leaving me stranded on the highway), transmission rack there, brakes, axle, CV boots, and the list goes on. We will probably go ahead and spend the $900 to replace the engine rack, so that we don't have to get a car loan; but next time we will buy American. If performance and gas mileage are just average, I would rather support the American auto industry over foreign.

If engine didn't break down, it would be worth it

by from Cincinnati on January 10, 2009

Keep in mind I am not a car geek; Overall this car would be great, that is if you have 2-3 spare engines on the side to swap out when needed. I have had the head gasket replaced. Now I have replace the whole engine do to to a rod issue.

Similar Models