Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 CX-7

2008 Mazda CX-7

2008 Mazda CX-7

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 2008 Mazda CX-7?

Zoom Zoom

by ARH22 from Minneapolis, MN on Thu Jun 26 2014

I've owned my Mazda for 2 years now. I love it and am so glad I bought it. We got a good price and couldn't be happier with this SUV. It has some zip to it with the turbo, has plenty of trunk/hatch space and is comfortable. I would recommend it. I have no clue why others have given it bad reviews.

Mazda is hot!

by Love cars from Philadelphia on Tue Dec 11 2007

Had the CX7 now for 4 months, love it. A real road car, even tho it is a crossover. Lots of power and roadability, attractive, SIRIUS and Bose together is great.

"SO FAR SO GOOD"

by JMAX77 from STATEN ISLAND,NY on Sat Sep 29 2007

I just recently leased the 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring and i was most impressed with the power of the four cylinder engine,at first i was sceptical on weather a four cylinder could deliver enough punch,boy was i wrong! The handling of the vehicle was also very surprising does not perform like an suv but like a car, the tech package is also a great option on this vehicle would highly recomend this package. Over all great vehicle for the money,plenty of room,fun to drive, would definitley recomend to all.

Great Mazda experience.

by Rod from SD, Ca on Tue Jul 03 2018

Great car. 4 stars due to low MPG, no third row seats, and airconditioning not as good as toyota. I had it for 10 yrs with no major issue. Other than regular maintenance, I replaced the oil filter housing gasket ($5) which was very easy to do. Engine compartment has plenty of room to work on.

Greatest car I've ever had!

by Working Mom from Fairfield County, CT on Wed May 21 2008

I love this car. It handles wonderfully, has an awesome Bose stereo (upgrade). It's perfect for a small family and stylish as can be. Solid engineering and seating is very comfortable, no matter what other reviews may say. The only down-side of this vehicle is the gas mileage - and having to fuel up with high grade gas. I considered selling the vehicle for that reason, but the positive aspects are way too many to trade it in!!!!

Good sports car for the money!

by 1st time car buyer from Minnesota on Sat May 08 2010

I bought a used 2008 CX-7 AWD touring model with 36,000 miles on it.... I have clocked almost 2000 miles and the ride has been smooth so far, even though the engine is little bit louder especially when you accelerate, but its understandable due to turbo engine! I was initially worried about gas mileage but I have been getting decent gas mileage, 16 gallon tank last me about 300-330 miles... giving me about low 20's in city and around 23-24 mpg on highway. I do travel a lot so that was my main concern, but I am pretty satisfied with the performance so far. This is my first car... so I had done my homework, drove a lot of other mid-size SUV's, but the feel, look, style, bose stereo, and driving performance was appealing to me and not forgetting the price, its cheaper compared to other mid-size crossover SUVs. The car is also pretty precious.. more leg room and it has a feel of sport car feel... good luck buying!

Great engine and great handling XUV.

by Performance Driver from Cincinnati, OH on Sun Aug 19 2007

Great design. Here's what's missing. 1. Front seats are too short for leg length, leaves about 3 inches of your leg with no support behind your knees. 2. My dealer installed custom leather - beautiful. Standard leather is poor. 3. No outside temperature gauge - you get this in the Mazda3 ??? 4. Body metal is like tin foil dings easily. 5. Gas mileage is horrible. Less than 20 mpg on highway. 6. Bose stereo is not upto par against other Bose cars systems I've owned. What they got right: 1. Engine design - great performance engine 2. Instrument design 3. Body styling. 4. Six speed Manual/Auto Gearbox Nice car - a few things need replacing and the gas mileage is very poor (4 cylinder, turbo engine should get 30-35 on highway).

My Favorite Car Ever

by MazdaLover from Central IL on Tue Jun 09 2009

I am definitely new vehicle obsessed and I have never been as happy with a car as I have with this one. I've had it for 14 months now and still say almost every day how much I love it. I ended up just getting the Sport 2WD because I really liked the cloth seats (I know, sounds weird, but they're really soft!) and Mazda makes so many features standard that I didn't have a good excuse to upgrade. Pros: Exterior styling - people often mistake it for the Lexus RX or the MB R-class Radio controls on steering wheel Comfortable seats Cargo space Extremely reasonable price Handling Size - feels roomier and wider than similarly sized crossovers EVERYTHING but the things I'm going to list as cons I LOVE Cons: Ambient temp not standard Weird blind spot on driver's side by the side-view mirror (for me, but probably if you were taller or shorter it would be different) Gas mileage - though it doesn't matter for me b/c I only drive about 6500 miles/yr. I've never been happy with a vehicle for this long. This is our...5th Mazda and we're still very pleased with them.

Fun, nice car but not for everyone.

by Houston Dad from Houston on Wed Dec 17 2008

As I read my fellow CX-7 owner's reviews I get the feeling that many of us purchased this car more due to looks and the ability to boast about having a turbo charged vehicle than anything else. Yes, the styling and presence of this vehicle cannot be denied. Nor can I say that it isn't fun to drive. However, if you are considering this car think about these few things: MPG - it gets at best 20 for me on highway and 17 combined on top of the fact that it needs premium fuel. If you think you are going to get away with less, the dealer will tell you that you can but you lose the whole point of having a turbo charged engine and might as well buy a 6 cylinder something else. Size - the RAV 4 has more cargo space and the CR-V more passenger space. Family use - it is much higher than similar CUV's making it almost impossible for my 3yr old to get in and out of. It suffers from an odd placement, operation or complete absence of buttons - the master window control panel is an all or nothing deal, if the windows are locked, even the driver can't manually open a window. And it also locks out the passenger. There is no master lamp control and no vanity mirror lights. Doors are intended for adults, they are heavy and do not stay open with the force a typical young child would apply. Standard Features - For a vehicle produced in 2008 and not 1998 I would expect it to have MP3 disk playing capabilities (that is $600.00 more for an mp3 changer), an axillary jack and more than one charging outlet. (Hard to decide whether to charge your cell phone or your GPS unit sometimes). Many of these issues are minor but do you really want to deal with them daily for 3-6 years?

Does not recommend this car!!

Bad Mileage

by shawnie101 from on Wed Dec 22 2010

I love my CX7. It runs great, is comfortable to sit in and drive. Keyless entry is wonderful and I love the exterior design. That said, the gas mileage is horrific. I get about 17-18mpg on highest grade gas. It's so expensive to gas up that it makes the car less enjoyable. Also the Bose sound system is lacking in clarity and richness - oddly enough for a Bose product.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2008 Mazda CX-7

Editor's note: For 2008, Mazda has made no significant changes to the CX-7, which debuted as a 2007 model. One bonus for buyers is that the engine has been modified to allow it to run on regular gasoline instead of premium without changing performance numbers. After driving a 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring, the review below, written in August 2006, is still accurate. The CX-7 still holds up — now against even more competition — in the segment. To see what details are different this year, check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Automakers are stemming the tide of anti-SUV sentiment with a new type of family vehicle: the crossover. Built primarily on car frames, crossovers —... Read More