2009 CX-7

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2009 Mazda CX-7?

Worst car ever made!

by Alishahoped from Fort Worth, tx on Wed Apr 19 2017

I've had this car for 4 years and I bet I've had it in the shop more than I've driven it, one thing after another after another. AC has gone out 6 times now. The turbo just went out last year, and now carmax cannot find out why my check engine light won't go off, and I have the extended warranty. Ridiculous.

Don't buy ANY year Mazda CX-7

by Debbie C from Colorado on Fri Mar 22 2013

Our Mazda CX-7, with 57,000 miles on it, experienced the same sludge build up resulting in a turbo blowing out, timing chain stretching and VVT needing replacement, as thousands of other CX-7 owners have also experienced. With the original warranty and extended warranty still in place, Mazda denied all service claims stating "poor vehicle maintenance"--as they have with all the other CX-7 owners. In speaking with Mazda technicians, they stated to me that there is a problem with the oil cooled turbo that Mazda refuses to admit to because it will result in a huge recall. Mazda needs to be held accountable for their poor design on these cars and stop putting the blame on consumers.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great family car, and fast!

by Family Man from Delray Beach on Sat Nov 29 2014

This car is fast and has great acceleration. Very comfortable for the family. Has been very cheap to maintain and Mazda are really good at sorting out any issues I've had over the years. Some people I saw at the garage have had timing chain and turbo issues but if you change the oil regularly and you won't have an issue. Poor maintenance costs money whatever car you buy.

by Scott E from San Francisco on Tue Oct 04 2011

Great car, great looking, great value. I really enjoy everything about the car. There is a bit more road noise than I am used to, but that is only because I also have a ML400 which is super quiet. I really enjoy the Mazda's feel on the road, the comfort, and the performance. I think for the money it is a great buy.

Really solid SUV

by In th emarket from Des Moines, IA on Mon Aug 10 2009

Before I started my lease on the CX-7 sport, I owned an RX-8. Having kids and wanting to ditch the rotary engine, I wanted something sporty and practical. I really love the CX-7. The only downside is that it doesn't have an AUX in (I believe newer models have resolved this). Yes, the gas mileage is not great but it's only a couple miles per gallon less than the competition. My lease is up soon and I have been looking to find a replacement. Part of me would like to get something else just to have something new but it's been such a good car and I love the looks... I think I'll keep this one. All in all... I highly recommend the CX-7 if you are looking for a fun, sporty small SUV. I love mine.

Terrible in the snow

by Love cats from Pollock Pines, Ca. on Wed Feb 03 2010

Live at 4,000 feet in the Western Sierra. Had 2 Subaru's prior to buying a '09 Mazda CX7. Thought with their AWD it would be a good change. Previously had a 929 and a 626 years ago and loved them. However, after we got stuck in the snow in front of our house and had to be towed out, our bubble was burst. Other dissatifactions were terrible blind spots. Impossible to see either side when backing out of a parking space or changing lanes. Traded it in on a Subaru and now am happy. Don't buy a Mazda AWD if you drive in snow!!!!!! It doesn't work like they say it will.

My favorite car

by Klobaugh from Tulsa on Fri Apr 28 2017

David Hernandez helped me find the car I wanted and I was able to drive off the lot the same day. If you are looking for a new vehicle I would highly recommend going to see him at Bob Hurley Ford in Tulsa

Great car for the money!

by PatMN from St. Cloud, MN on Tue Apr 04 2017

I just bought a 2009 Mazda CX7 - I am so impressed with this vehicle. I searched for the best car for the value and this kept showing up. I have only had it a week and am amazed at the engine zip... it is much better than my old subaru forester. The only thing I don't like is trying to figure out where the front of the car is - - the front of the car is so low you can't tell where it is when you are pulling into a parking space - and I am sure I will get the feel of it eventually!

Most reliable and affordable car I've owned!

by Aacosta2017 from Amarillo, TX on Thu Aug 09 2018

This car provides space and style inside the vehicle. It's affordability and reliability make it a winner in my books! The insurance on this vehicle is also affordable. I also love the amazing sound quality that the stock speakers provide.

I loved my vehicle...She was good to me

by Lisa from Glen Burnie, MD on Sun Oct 29 2017

Great vehicle. Being that i kept up with the regular maintenance, I never had severe issues. Great performance. She came with a turbo engine so I enjoyed her as well.

1 2

Our Take on the 2009 Mazda CX-7

Ten bucks says the penny-pincher inside you is balking at the very prospect of a Mazda CX-7. It's a five-seat crossover whose turbocharged engine recommends premium fuel and returns subpar gas mileage, and its cargo area is as small as its price tag is large. It is not, as Spock might say, a particularly logical choice — but is it ever a fun one. Fire up the engine, take a drive and consider some of the CX-7's strengths that are less apparent on paper, and those left-brained sensibilities eventually will come around.

The CX-7 is a smallish crossover that shares its turbo four-cylinder with the hot-rodded Mazdaspeed3. Changes for the 2009 model, which you can compare to the '08 CX-7 here, include... Read More