2008 Mazda5

2008 Mazda Mazda5

2008 Mazda Mazda5

4.0

Have you driven the 2008 Mazda Mazda5?

Perfect Fit

by WWlover from Bismarck, ND on Thu Apr 16 2009

For a family like us who likes to go whitewater kayaking and has a small child it's the perfect car. We were able to fit two people and two kayaks plus equipment inside and still got good handling and decent gas mileage (27-29 mpg) at speeds 70-85 mph. As someone who drove a manual for 20+ years in Europe, the stick shift is very smooth and acceleration is great. Don't listen to people who say that the car is sluggish - they are either used to a Porsche, drive an automatic or just don't know how to get good performance out of smaller engines. The only issues are winter-related, living in ND with 5 months of winter with unsalted streets which are often unplowed, the car is a bit too low over the ground and the front wheels spin easily but the handling improved a lot when I got performance winter tires, the regular Maza-tires are cheap and not that good. My 2006 Mazda had some small issues like some plastic parts getting loose or some strange noise from the bushings ,battery replacement in the third winter, but nothing serious.

Great family car!

by cargirl from Quebec, Canada on Sun Jan 26 2014

Bought the Mazda5 in May 2008 brand new. Basic model. Had a recall soon after for the power steering, got fixed and since then never had a problem with the car. Changed the front brakes at 80 000Km and rear at 100 000km. NEVER had any other repairs or issues.No problems with suspension yet. Maintenance was made at the dealers for 5 years and after that a local garage. Read previous reviews, true that it is not that great in deep snow.So I got studded winter tires and that did it. Mazda has been known for its rust issues. My mazda5 has rusty "halos"starting on the metal bars that go through the passenger windows (at 100000km I noticed them). If I wanted I could have them changed for esthetics for 80$ each plus garage time. True the 3rd row is tight, not great for a long trip(I have tried it, sitting there for 2 hours), but does the job for everyday life. We only use the 3rd row occassionnaly (kid's friends or visit). It has now reached the 130 000km and still does the job! For the price and fuel economy compared to similar cars, I think it is a great value!

I love my car

by Mazda5Mom from Orange County, CA on Sun Jan 27 2008

I had my car for 5 months now. I pretty much love all most everything about it. My husband and I shopped around for something that was reasonable and could fit a family of six. We're always on the go with all the kids being in sports. I also needed something good on gas due to the fact I work over 35 miles from home. The only thing we don't like is the cargo space. You're not given that much room when the 3rd row is up not even for groceries. I do love the fact it drives and looks like a sports car. It doesn't give you that minivan feel.

Loving my new Mazda 5

by Mazda Mama from SAN RAMON CALIF on Thu Apr 15 2010

The 2008 Mazda 5 is an excellent vehicle for the money. I've had MANY cars in my 43 years including 4 other Mazda models. I have a family now so I'm limited to a vehicle that has a 6 person seating capacity. The 5 is the perfect combination of space and performance.

Incredible Car for Communiting

by Familyof6 from MInneapolis, MN on Fri Dec 12 2008

I had the opportunity to trade in a full size conversion van and spent a couple months before that looking for something that could seat six. Already having one mini-van in the garage detered me from duplicating that even to the point of looking for the traditional station wagon. I never even knew a 5 existed until I went to the dealer and he showed me one. Found one with all the toys (Navi, roof, auto temp, Etc). Both my wife and I love the car to the point we jockey to see who gets to drive it. For a family of 6 (Kids under 11) this is a great choice for commuting and playing "taxi" to all their events. The back seats are not made for giants but fit the kids very well and they can access easily, even with the car seats. With all of us in the car, you can still fit 5 bags of groceries in the back (you do need to make sure there is nothing else back there). We have no problem going out to dinner with another couple (4 adults) as the middle seats adjust and it provides plenty of room. Only down side is the 2007 auto is a 4 speed (2008 is a 5 speed) so it would be nice to have the extra gear on the highway. Parking the thing is a breeze, especially in chaotic parking lots and unless we have to get big items or are going shopping for a months worth of grocerie, we take it everywhere. I would buy another one in a heart beat

I love this thing!

by clay282 from Jonesboro, AR on Thu Jul 01 2010

Good room, handles great and with the pearl paint and tinted glass... looks great! Love the 5 speed, very easy to drive and since it's geared low it hauls around town pretty quick, even with people on board. The low gearing does cause higher revs on the highway which is why fuel economy isn't any higher. With a 6 speed I think it would probably get low 30's on the highway.

Great Family Car

by Shawn from Milwaukee, WI on Thu Nov 21 2013

I've got three kiddos. I dodn't want - and couldn't afford - a huge minivan. This is a perfect mini-minivan. It seats 6, so I've got room for the fam and their stuff. It gets a little uncomfortable when the kids have a lot of things to lug around, but most times, it's the perfect size for us. We took a roadtrip from Milwaukee to Upper Michigan and I was floored with how well-behaved the kids were. They all had enough breathing room. We had a great trip. I drive a 5-seater Ford Escape from Milwaukee to Madison and wanted to drive that car off a cliff - the kids wouldn't stop bugging each other. The Mazda5 is a game-changer for driving around kids.

Sliding rear doors sealed the deal

by nevertovec from Milwaukee, WI on Wed Feb 24 2010

Started looking to replace my 4th Chrysler minivan a year ago. Google revealed only the Mazda5 as an alternative to the traditional minivan for rear sliders. While I was downsizing due to no more kids at home, getting my work equipment in and out of sliding doors stood out as a priority. I can still seat 6, but haven't yet. Ended up with a used '08. Love the handling, sportiness (zoom-zoom!), and glad I have my first moonroof. Surprised, though, that the gas mileage isn't a tad higher.

Enjoying my recent purchase

by Happy Mazda owner from Harwinton, CT on Wed Aug 28 2013

I've only had the car a few weeks, but it has had a work-out in that time! I have put a quick 1,500 miles on it, taking trips with my children to visit family. It has proved to be very comfortable. My kids (ages 10 & 12) say its the most comfortable car they've ever riden in! And getting 28 miles to the gallon was a great bonus! I love the fact that it has room for 7 people, so I can do carpools for the kids' activities, and then I can put the back seats down and have as much trunk space as I did in the Volvo Cross Country I just got rid of! We are currently packing it up for a 4 day camping trip. It's got the space and versatility we needed, without being a huge gas guzzler.

Most Over-looked Car

by G-man from California on Thu Jan 22 2009

Just awarded USNews #2 Full size wagon, Best car for the Money for Compact Crossover. It get more mpg than any minivan. Its the only wagon with sliding doors. It has a usable 3rd row seats. More room and seat than a Honda Fit. Best Handling minivan. Great price. Lots of cargo space. They are popular in Asia and Europe.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2008 Mazda Mazda5

The Mazda5 minivan is fun to drive. That's right: A minivan that's fun to drive. How can this be? The secret's in its size, as the six-person Mazda5 is significantly smaller than traditional minivans.

The benefits of this approach — sporty handling, minimal body roll and manageable dimensions — are readily apparent after only a short time behind the wheel. There are also, however, some significant drawbacks.

Exterior & Styling
If it weren't for its sliding rear doors, the Mazda5 would undoubtedly be considered a hatchback rather than a minivan. Mazda says sliding rear doors offer easier access to the second- and third-row seats, and are easy to open in tight parking spaces (not to mention... Read More