Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2004 Mazda6

2004 Mazda Mazda6

2004 Mazda Mazda6

4.1

Have You Driven the 2004 Mazda Mazda6?

Very reliable

by WIU from Il on Mon Jun 18 2012

Bought new with the 2.3 motor and manuel 5 speed. Mostly highway driving with 31 mpg at 70 mph. I currently have 168,000 miles on the car. Other than wear items, I had to replace the rear wheel bearing assemblies at 162,000 mile. Great car for the money hope to drive it another 100,000 miles.

Car lover needing practicality? Your car is here..

by Will from New Jersey on Wed Aug 26 2009

2004 Mazda 6S Automatic V6 WOW! Rarely do you get perfect feedback through the steering, pedals, and seats, and to find it all in a front wheel drive four door sedan is very impressive indeed. I love this car. I have the 3 liter V6 model and 5 speed automatic gearbox that work so smoothly together. On the highway, the overtaking power is great, while the shifts are seamless and smooth, never jerky. This is, after all, the same engine used by Jaguar with the S and X types, and now with the XF. High up in the rev range, the noise from the V6 is simply sublime. Most companies these days (particularly Toyota with the Camry and Highlander, and Nissan with the 370z) manage to make the V6 sound dull, or even annoying, by just turning the noise into a relentless hum. This isn't that. This car fizzles and pops and growls. It sounds like a real engine, which is very good. The steering wheel is very small, and perfectly weighted. I'm not joking or exaggerating when I say you can feel the road so perfectly through the steering, it's like running your fingers along it. That's how good it is. The man in charge of Mazda's engineering department at the time this 6 was built used to race cars, and it very much shows in it's execution, even in American specification (a very rare thing if you don't know!) I only have a few complaints. One is that the manual mode on the automatic should blip the throttle for you on the down shifts, and another is the ride. I realize this car was designed to be sporty, but does it have to break my back over bumps? I guess if you want something both sporty and comfortable, the BMW 3 series is your only choice. One problem that might dissuade you all from buying is the fuel economy of the V6. When driven in a spirited or fun way (or, how I drive) you get around 14 mpg, and no, I'm not kidding. When driven sensibly, you could easily get it up to 30, though. If this worries you, get the 4 cylinder. I hear they curved the torque flow in such a way that it feels much meatier and more powerful than it actually is, so driving enthusiasts on a budget will not be disappointed. The car is 5 years old now, and I've had no reliability problems as of yet, it still feels tight as a drum, so I highly recommend the car to you. It is a left-field choice that will surely please its owner.

My Mazda 6 is totally great!!!!!

by Mikes car from Chicago on Tue Nov 01 2011

I have had my mazda for 6 years It is a 2004 V6 Mazda 6 wagon And I have only changed the brake pads. This is such a reliable car. I am really very impressed. Nothing ever goes wrong with the car. It is roomy and a great station wagon. It is really smooth we call it the limo. I would recommend this to anyone.

Best In Class

by gearexecutive from Denver, CO to RI on Fri Oct 01 2010

I have owned my 2004 Mazda 6 S hatchback for 11 months and driven 16K miles. I have the V6 engine with manaul transmission and sport package. I love that is vehicle is a hatchback that is nearly identical in appearence to the sedan yet offers nearly as much cargo space as the wagon. This car is fun to drive, fast, handles very well for a front drive car and moderately fuel efficient. The driving experience of this car is similar to that of high end import sport sedans like BMW 3-series, and betters offerings from VW, Volvo or Lexus. The acceleration is smooth and eager, the steering is light and confidence inspiring and the brakes are strong and more than adaquete. Highs: Fun to drive, amount of storage space, fold flat rear seats, value for the dollar in sportiness, equipment and cost to own. Lows: Uninvolving manual shifter, short front seat backs lack support for tall drivers over long drives (I'm 6'4") Overall: Great value for the dollar in a well equipped, attractive, reliable and sporty package.

Okay All Around Car

by Richie L from Raleigh, NC on Thu Oct 15 2009

I bought my 2004 6s hatchback new. I've got 70,000 miles on it so far. It has a nice sporty ride and great looks, but here are some issues: The LCD display for the climate system and radio flickers so bad, I cannot tell what temp it is or the radio frequency. I've had it replaced under warranty, but now it's doing it again and my warranty is out. The automatic transmission sometimes lags before downshifting, and is sometimes jerky. ...Not cool. The V6 loves to drink fuel. I have the cloth interior and in the areas where you don't sit, they put very cheap cloth, where it is starting to pill and look raggy. The only things I've replaced are the battery, tires (I like the Yokohama YK520), and front brakes / rotors. I love the hatchback version. I can fit almost as much stuff as an SUV. So, overall the car has not given me any major mechanical problems, the hatchback fits lots of stuff, and has great looks. After 70,000 miles it still drives and looks almost new on the outside (I garage it).

Tranny

by Chris from Mission, KS on Thu Aug 17 2006

Very attractive car, but watch out. I bought the car brand new and was hoping that its lack of performance during the test drive was due to the fact that it hadn't yet been broken in. I was disappointed. The V6 doesn't have much initial pick-up--it hesitates for about 1.5 to 2 seconds before the gas really kicks in (from 0 mph). Also, I've had the transmission replaced at about 35K miles and it's in the shop AGAIN (at 42K) for the same problem. An intermittent "chunk" from 1st to 2nd gears. Bad problem. And about everyone I've talked to with Mazda 6s has had transmission problems. Both repairs were under warranty, but the new tranny apparently costs $2,500. Not good. Like I say, attractive car. Great design, both interior and exterior. Plenty of room, driver volume and cruise controls on the steering wheel, great visibility of instrument cluster and and stylish console design (especially the red lights at night), plenty of compartments for whatever you can think of. But I like a car that performs, and this Mazda 6 does not.

Does not recommend this car!!

My favorite car ever

by Christopher from Long Beach ms on Fri Jun 10 2016

I love this car. 230000 miles. Only changed the alternator. Hint. Make sure you put the dustcover and inner fender back on. And co es out from the bottom. Drive 70 miles a day. Jamming system air is the best. I haul everything from 10 ft 2*4 to quick Crete. Dogs. And did I say, I love this car.

Currently have 220,000 miles on mine!

by Corianne from South Bend on Wed Aug 22 2018

I have drove this car for 4 years now. I purchased this same vehicle and even color with 160,000 miles. It has got me across America twice! It now has 220,000 miles! I have thought about getting rid of it because of the possibility of it breaking down. However, I take good care of this vehicle and it is one of the best vehicles I have ever purchased! This Mazda is stuck with me. We are shooting for 250,000 miles!

worst car i ever owned, 180k miles

by carolinas guy from nc on Wed Dec 28 2016

Original owner of the s model (3.0 v6) and have always had some minor or major issue since the day I owned it. Including two bad duratec 3.0 engines, and electrical, brake, cooling system, ac, and misc problems. The first engine started having problems at 45 k and the second waranty engine started leaking oil at about 50 k. Steering systems and suspension seemed to hold up well but that was about it. I take good care of my cars and maintain them well. Had a old Toyota I bought new and after 167k miles did not have any unexpected problems. But this Mazda was the opposite but it only left me stranded a couple times. Dealerships aren't much better and together have cost me a lot of stress, aggravation, time and money. I have replaced tons of things on this car (lucky I had the extended warranty) and have had less problems with it after 100,000 miles than before. Poor design and quality and is hit or miss if you get a decent one or a bad one.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best 1st car ever

by Shadley31415 from Cape Cod MA on Sat Jun 20 2015

Let's get my only complaint out of the way. It is somewhat rust-prone. Tons of these have rust around the rear wheel well(s) (including mine). Oh and the brake caliper pins sometimes need to be greased (relatively easy to do and prevents sticking). The rest of the car is absolutely amazing. At 175,000 miles, it still feels like new. No rattles or squeaks, and the engine is still silky smooth, pulls strong, and sounds pretty good for a 4cyl too. I've had it just over 2 years, 12,000 miles, and haven't had anything worse than a light-bulb fail The transmission (manual) is still slick as could be and the clutch feels pretty good too. Efficiency is good if you don't hammer it. The handling... oh the handling. It isn't sports car handling but it's very capable with well controlled body motions. The ride is also surprisingly plush. Excellent ride-handling compromise. The steering is light but not too slow, and you can actually feel the road through the wheel. The brakes are disc all around and generally feel great. Pedal placement is excellent and allows perfectly natural heel-toe shifting. The trunk is also quite large, especially with the seats down. It's relatively quiet too, quieter than my moms 2010 Honda Accord. The seats are decent, the radio and HVAC controls work well (nice cool AC and good heat), and the speakers are actually really great. I love my Mazda 6 because it's always ready to play when you want, yet can take you down the road in quiet comfort when you just want to relax. Like a 4-door MX-5. If I could describe it in one word, it would be "Fun", with a capital "F". It's all the things you want in a car, and none of what you don't (at least so far). I still look forward to driving it every day. If you're contemplating buying one of these, I would highly recommend one (4 cyl), especially if you enjoy driving spiritedly every now and then.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2004 Mazda Mazda6

Zoom-Zoom Faith Gets an Amen
2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon

SAN DIEGO

Mazda Motor Co. practices "Zoom-Zoom" -- a corporate theology based on the belief that good cars have souls.

It is a faith that elevates cars and their various derivatives above the State of Ordinary, placing them into a State of Desire. This is important.

Ordinary cars languish in the retail purgatory of poor sales, from which they are freed only through indulgences, or commercial prayers otherwise known as customer rebates.

Truly ordinary cars, those absolutely devoid of anything that sparks buyer passion, often are beyond salvation. They frequently are banished to the hell of no sales and eventual oblivion.

Desirable cars... Read More