2011 MazdaSpeed3

2011 Mazda MazdaSpeed3

2011 Mazda MazdaSpeed3

Have You Driven the 2011 Mazda MazdaSpeed3?

Great fun to drive!

by Mazda_Convert from Washington, DC on Wed Jun 06 2012

After driving a very practical Saturn for 16 years I decided to upgrade. I looked at the Mazda3 but since I was looking at a M/T already, I decided to try out the Speed3. I was sold almost immediately. Not hugely expensive, great performance, great steering, lots of nice tech. I actually look forward to my commute now! BTW, the Advanced Key Entry seems like a cool thing, but you'll quickly find it to be indispensable. When you're walking up to the car loaded with bags and your keys in your pocket you no longer have to fish them out. Just push the button on the door and you're in. Cons: No USB, which I just don't understand, although the Bluetooth works fine. Also, no obvious place to put an iphone where you can still see it. The NAV isn't overly useful because the screen is so small. But I didn't buy it for NAV so I don't care. Mileage: Tricky. If you love turbo and love boosting, then you'd better learn to love the gas station. I am currently trying to hypermile my Speed3 and I'm getting around 26.5 mpg -- not bad but you have to be conscious about when to boost and when you don't need to. For me, it makes the driving more interesting.

Great Performance Value

by 2011 MS3 from on Tue Mar 08 2011

Coming from a 2010 GTi I can say the MS3 without a doubt is the true sports car comparing the two. The MS3 is firmly suspended and could be too extreme for some using it as a DD. The amenities are great especially with the Technology Package which I have. The HIDs and rear LED tail lamps are excellent and keyless entry/push button start give the car an upscale feel. Seats are very supportive. Bose system is OK. Navi is better than some other would tell you - I like the integrated look of the unit and the screen albeit small is very clear and crisp. I personally like the exterior styling - unique and nothing on the road looks remotely like the car. No complaints with my purchase.

Big Mouf

by J23/5 from Youngstown, Oh on Tue May 03 2011

Having driven cars in this class before buying, I was impressed by the quality offered in this price range. I bought my Mazdaspeed3 after weighing all the options versus the competition. Sure, they all have their strong points, but I was looking for performance, style, and an interior that was pleasing. The Mazdaspeed 3 has it all for a price that was very reasonable. I really enjoy the superb handling and the power of this engine. As my daily driver, it isn't hard to live with averaging 26mpg(if you stay out of the boost) and even though it encourages more spirited driving, the worst I've got was 21mpg. I probably should have got the tech package, if only for the Bose stereo because the stock stereo isn't bad but could be better. The seats are firm but comfortable for me, I can't say if you were 6'2 or so they might not agree. I would recommend putting winter wheels and tires as I did, northeast Ohio winters are tough and if it snows where you live, you'll need them. Regarding the front end styling, I don't have a problem with it, but if that is a concern for you, just drive this car and you'll probably forget about it as you're pulling gears and grinning like a maniac! No issues as of yet with faulty components of poorly designed parts. Finally, for bang for your buck this car is a winner.

Awesome Fun, Great Value

by MSPD3 from Pompano Beach, Florida on Wed Feb 09 2011

I purchased my MazdaSpeed3 about 6 months ago and have had a pretty good experience. It's a blast to drive! grippy, zippy and super good looks. The interior is a bit chintzy but the styling of the car is both impressive and dominating. The exhaust tone is low and the turbo spools smoothly getting you to 60 in a heart beat. The car has a some torque steer when getting into the 5K rpm range in first and second gears. Though if you ask me, it makes driving the car that much more fun. Mazda makes cars fun and this just that! It's not sophisticated and certainly not a $40,000 Subaru. So if you expect something that is more polished, you'll want to shell out the extra cash and buy up. However, if you're like me and looking for an inexpensive car that is quick and graceful, there is not a better example of this anywhere. The only complaint I have is the transmission and motor mounts. The transmission is clunky and hard to shift at times. Performance isn't the issue so much as the feel of the shifter. When compared to every other car in it's class, Mazda really didn't nail it here. The motor mounts are also an issue. A known issue by Mazda. So far I have had my read motor mount and front motor mounts replaced. This isn't due to my heavy foot or bad driving, I assure you. The issue is that the motor has too much power for the stock mounts. If you buy this car, count on replacing the rear mount with a more durable solution and possible putting an engine diffuser in the bonnet to keep the motor from feeling like jelly during shift points. In closing, the car is great. While there are a couple of things that need to be tweaked, my expectations have been exceeded by this cute little sleeper. Enjoy!

wow is this car fun

by topher3134 from Yoakum on Mon May 16 2011

I must say I have owned some fun cars in my days including a mustang gt, tsi awd eagle talon, nissan 240sx, I even had a turbo volvo wagon with 230 hp. This car is fun to drive and so far gets pretty good highway mpg. I mainly drive higway and its avg about 28 mpg. I have the tech package that gives you the little nav screen that is more useful than I thought it would be. love the sirius sat radio and the bluetooth. Bluetooth I am told sounds like I am in a can but other than that I love this car.

Best car ever

by Bcarney74 from Pennsylvania on Thu Jun 22 2017

I love this car great car for a family. Very efficient for driving places quickly and is a reliable car.

Sporty, fun and practical

by Skin from Royal Oak on Tue May 16 2017

This car is a total blast. It's fast and fun to drive. It also has good backseat room and rear hatch storage. There are not a whole lot of them on the road so you feel like you are driving something quite special and unique which you are! If you can find one, get it! You will not regret it.

amazing car! great power for the engine and drivet

by Bakerms3 from colorado springs on Sat Dec 02 2017

i love this car ive owned mine for almost two years now. i love it so much i bought a second one for my wife. it has a great amount of power. its very stylish. great comfort. highly recommended.

Best Car I've ever Owned

by Cbow from Columbus, OH on Sun Mar 12 2017

This car is a phenomenal buy. It is the best combination of fun to drive, pragmatism, reliability, and affordability. Really the only better purchase in this class of car is the WRX and it will always be several thousand more because it bears the subaru name. The power in this car is just amazing 263 hp and 280 ft-lb torque. This is a blast to drive and also gets great fuel economy. I consistently get over 30 mpgs on the high way. I opted for the tech package which is worth it. It gives you push button start, adaptive headlights, GPS, Bose sound.

First time owning a Mazda.

by Zumzum from Denver co on Sat Jun 16 2018

Vehicle is totally awesome. Performance is amazing runs great on the freeway. The interior is unique and stilish. Engine and turbo sound really really nice.

1 2

Our Take on the 2011 Mazda MazdaSpeed3

In a field that's exposing also-rans at a torrid pace, the 2011 Mazda3 compact sedan and hatchback still shine.

The popular Mazda3 remains unabashedly fun to drive, which should appeal to driving enthusiasts who want a practical car. And although it falls short on ride quality and fuel efficiency, the latter is set to improve with next year's four-cylinder drivetrain, which should get 40 mpg highway.

Mazda offers three drivetrains: two normally aspirated four-cylinders — each with a manual or automatic transmission — and a manual-only Mazdaspeed3 hatchback with a turbocharged four-cylinder. (Click here to stack them up.) Since the Mazda3 was redesigned a year ago, we've driven all three... Read More