2004 MPV

2004 Mazda MPV

2004 Mazda MPV

4.4

Have you driven the 2004 Mazda MPV?

Fabulous Minivan Value

by Love to drive from Falls Church, VA on March 24, 2007

We purchased our MPV used with 15,000 miles on the odometer. It has been a real pleasure to drive. The engine and transmission have both been very smooth and quite reliable. We love the layout of the car and ours has the factory DVD player which the children have really enjoyed. Thus far with 50,000 miles, we have had not even a minor repair, nor any problems to express. The car has held its value very well and we would not hesitate to purchase another MPV in the future. We also really love the fold down 3rd row seat and the fact that the 2nd row seats can slide together. We don't like the shifter for the automatic transmission placement as when it is in drive it obscures the radio/cd controls.... however we have overcome that by using the radio volume controls that are built-into the steering wheel. We would strongly reccomend purchase of this very versitile, yet not too huge minivan.

Love, Love, Love

by Mazda MPVer from Southeastern US on June 16, 2007

We just love this vehicle! Great value for the dollar! Good gas mileage too! We get 20 in town, and 26 or so highway. We love the comfort of this vehicle, the convenience of the third row folding down, and the overall great performance. We purchased used and have had for a year with no problems, just a tune up and normal maintenance.

Able to write 5 star reviews on all points

by W.McCue RN/BSN from Venice, FL on February 11, 2014

Finally!!! a mid sized VAN for families of 4. Super quality! Only problems I encountered at 125K was replacing radiator/condenser fan ( found cheap at Rock Auto.com) and super easy to install. Dealer wanted 1,800. USD, spent $89.00 online/installed/two hours later, good to go! My wife and I have an '09 Mazda 5, and we are much more satisfied with the MPV. My advise is to find one with/less than 100K. You will be extremely pleased.

Fantastic, reliable small minivan

by Dog lover from Oregon on August 2, 2014

We bought our 2004 MPV new. It has over 150K miles and the only major work we had was replacement of the radiator. We have loved this car for its comfort, the windows rolling down in the passenger area (essential because we haul around 2-3 dogs), maneuverability, and reliability. I use the car for commuting, plus tooling around town on weekends, and several road trips (4-5 hours each way). Unfortunately, we just totaled it so are looking for a similar one.

Best car I've ever owned.

by Gloriag from Ocala on July 25, 2017

Loved this 2004 Mazda MPV. Roomy, comfortable, good gas mileage. Gave it to our daughter. She loves it.

The Mazda MPV minivan was ahead of it's time

by counterpunch2 from Indianapolis, IN on July 13, 2018

These are becoming harder and harder to find and that's a shame. I bought our current MPV used in 2012 and it had many options found on newer vans. It had dual power sliding doors, power sliding door windows, fold flat rear bench seat, and just about power everything else. It had cloth interior even on an upscale model which imo lasts longer than leather. It's sporty with a peppy v6 engine and had great looking aero kit with fog lamps. About the only cons to own this van - at least in my climate - is the rust. The vehicle has started to rot from the rear wheel wells and along all the bottoms of the doors. Other than that the vehicle has been a solid family hauler and commuter for me. I've moved bikes, furniture, kids and all sorts of stuff in it and the van never bulks at me. I'll be really sad when it kicks the bucket. At this moment I'm at over 217,000 miles and still going strong. Mazda - if you're out there listening - bring it back! I'll buy one right now :)

Not as Good as earlier models

by Jack from Allentown Pa on August 26, 2006

We owned a 2000 MPV and absolutely loved it. When it was time to buy a new car the 2004 MPV was an obvious choice. For 2004 they changed the Engine/Transmission package which we thought was a good thing since the 2000 model was unpowered. It turns out to be the opposite. We have had nothing but problems with this MPV's Engine and Transmission. It bucks and surges horribly especially with the air conditioner on. We had it back to the dealer several times and the response we get is "it's your driving style" or "it's the gas your using". We have owned many cars over the years. As a matter of fact I drive over 40,000 miles a year for my job. Our driving styles haven't changed. We are totally disatisfied with this vehicle and would not recommend it.

Does not recommend this car!!

Drives like a car

by Minivan Clan from Sacramento, CA on October 29, 2012

We bought the 2004 MPV 60,000 miles ago. My wife wanted a minivan with a smaller footprint so she could parallel park in the city. I hated the car at first, because it had a transmission that shifted and made the car jerk. When it first happened I thought someone had bumped us from behind. An online search showed that this was a problem Mazda had. It took 2 or 3 computer adjustments by the dealer to get it right (and a day of letting them drive it themselves to see what I was talking about). It also seemed to pause before accelerating, which is bad on the short on ramps here in California. Again, I think it was the computer. Once it was adjusted the van drives very nicely, more like a car than most minivans. It is about 6 inches narrower and a bit shorter (Mazda 6 size) than our other minivan. My wife drives it, but the front legroom is annoyingly short for my 6'3" frame, so I avoid driving it.

Very good option for a 7 pass van....Good MPGs

by Chris from Grapevine, TX on April 4, 2009

This is the best small van and still holds 7 passengers. Has rear windows that roll down and auto doors.

Sharp looks, terrible engine/transmission

by disappointed former MPV owner from upstate NY on January 3, 2009

Purchased a former lease with 34,000 miles. Within 1,000 miles, engine coil burnt out. Three more failed in the next 4 months. Hesitant to drive because of such poor reliability. Stranded in Canada on a weekend trip. Traded in vehicle shortly after. AVOID THIS MODEL LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2004 Mazda MPV

All Dolled Up, but Still a Minivan
By Warren Brown

Mazda introduced its MPV family vehicle in 1988 in a bid to have it taken seriously as a minivan.

That was four years after Chrysler Corp. created the minivan market in the United States with the introduction of its Caravan and Voyager models.

Minivans were popular then. Sport-utility vehicles were few. Station wagons seemed nonexistent.

But popularity often is a predecessor to contempt; and in due time, minivans became contemptible to many auto buyers for reasons having nothing to do with their intrinsic value.

SUVs eventually supplanted the tubular vans as favored family haulers; but SUVs also became successful enough to engender public... Read More