1993 MX-5 Miata

1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata

1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Have You Driven the 1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata?

Really fun little car

by Jahs99 from on Wed May 03 2017

It is a very reliable little car and it has decent power, it handles really well for its age and it is a very fun car overall, interior is well designed and the exterior is decent i ts a really fun car to cruise around in

Beauty + function + fun

by teetoncey from la on Wed May 07 2008

This is my 2nd first-generation Miata, total 325,000 miles (I needed the 2nd only because I wrecked the first at 286,000). Aside from the obvious FUN, it's so reliable that I wonder how Mazda makes money off them. Not to mention 26mpg mixed. Well, there's not much room, and the tape decks wear out long before the rest of the car; and perhaps it's not so practical in Minneapolis. But it's just a single step below a motorycle.

Very fun to drive and very reliable.

by Eric D. from Tampa FL on Wed Jun 27 2018

Very fun car to drive. Basically keep your oil changed and keep up with the routine maintenance and you'll have no problems hitting 300,000 miles on this car. Lots of performance upgrades if your into that sort of thing. Lots of other Miata owners around to if you ever need advice. Don't expect to do a large shopping trip in it though. Passenger compartment is small but large enough to be comfortable. I would recommend obeying the laws of the road even though you'll be wanting to go zoom zooming around. Go to the track if you want to race. Be safe you'll want to keep this car forever. I'd never part with mine.

Most reliable car I have ever owned!!!!!!!!!!

by BuckeyeDDS from FAirfax, VA on Thu May 03 2007

I have owned a Miata for 14 years...156,000+ miles...its still on its original muffler...the clutch went until 150,000 miles...I'm only on the second set of brakes. Nothing is more exhillarating then to put the top down and drive the back country roads...when it was newer I took this car as far as 2000 miles from home on long cruising trips...now that I'm older those days are done!

Miata magic

by strider from Arcata, CA on Sat Jul 31 2010

This car is a wonder. I bought it used with almost 30000 on it and 110,000 miles later, all I've ever had to do with it beyond regular maintenance, is a replaced coil pack. Can't beat it. Looks great, handles like it's on rails and performance is sane but fun. The only draw back I can think of is that the interior, while designed well is all plastic and it cheapens the look. But interior aside, this is one car I'll never sell. It's perfect!

Simply a great car

by Seedy Backslash from Chicago, IL on Fri Dec 31 2010

I've owned a 93 Miata for the past 8 years. Most reliable car I have ever owned. Puts my 2000 Caddy Deville to shame. The only things I've had to replace are parts that have worn out from being 18 years old. Have 120K on it now. Re-did the lower rocker panels two years ago. Looks good. Runs even better. These are fun cars to drive and I still have people pull up next to me to ask about the car.

First Car

by Sports Car Enthusiast from Plymouth, Indiana on Sat Jul 07 2007

This is my first car and I love it. It is a great car for driving around town, but it is even better in the country. It handles wonderfully in town, where it's small size allows me to get around traffic. It is a blast to drive.

93 ORANGE Miata

by Original Owner from Chestertown, Maryland on Fri Feb 27 2009

I drove the car the first 250,000 miles. I'd buy it back it If had a decent place to keep it with my '06 Miata. Car was very well maintained (I worked at a car care place). I had the car 12 1/2 years, had to replace the battery at 10 years, also replaced the radiator and an altenator and of course tires and brakes.

Best car I've ever driven

by StuntHunt from Burlington, VT on Sat Apr 19 2014

I've got a '93 Limited Edition Miata, which I bought used 14 years ago for $10k. At that time it was 7 years old with 19k miles, and now it's 21 years old with 80k. It's the original Miata version with a 5sp and all the toys, inc the hard top, some very nice body work and thick red leather seats that set it apart from all the rest. It's a very nice car! This car has been to the shop ONCE in 21 years for a minor oil leak (O-ring on the oil pump) and timing belt replacement. That's unheard of reliability. OK, some other items have been serviced in the meantime by myself: 3 tuneups, changed fan belts once, replaced front brakes, stereo, and soft top. I'm also on my 5th set of tires, but that's my fault because I run the car hard with sticky summer tires, and burn thru them quickly. I can't say enough about the car! It's an absolute blast to drive--like a go cart with a 5 speed. It's way more fun than any other car I've driven (including my '13 Ford Focus ST and my friend's Porsche 911). Why is it so much fun? Because you can drive it hard all day/every day, stand on the gas pedal and run thru your gears and hit every corner like Mario Andretti and never get a speeding ticket. The handling is just amazing--everything about it's balance just feels perfect. And I may be jinxing myself here, but it never breaks down. OK, the Porsche 911 and Focus ST are super powered, high performance autos that beg to be driven at 80+mph everywhere. The Miata is pokey slow in comparison (even if it feels fast). But heck, you can't even get past 2nd gear in the 911 before you're already over the limit. Really, you just can't drive those cars to their potential legally, and that's a problem. I'm the kind of guy who likes to drive his car hard and not lose his license. At age 54 I've been thru a bunch of cars, and I have to say I never smile so much as when I'm driving that Miata! All that, and I've never gotten less than 25 mpg. I'd give it an 11 if I could. Great car.

fun car

by bandaid from Cleveland Ohio on Wed Oct 04 2006

I have had this car since it was new. It is a limited addition (black and red interior). Have not driven in snow but handles well in the rain or dry pavement. Has been remakably reliable. Have had no service repairs. Just oil, tires and blades. Not a car that you would want to drive in the snow all year long or in the snow. Not a car that you would want to take on a long trip due to comfort. It is a fun car to drive and own. There is only a few tires that fit on this Mazda. If you are thinking of a purchase, go for it! Personally I would not add any features on the engine or body. It drives fine as it is.

1 2

Our Take on the 1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata

The Mazda MX-5 Miata is the one car that you hope never changes.

There's been talk at Mazda of offering a bigger engine, installing a turbocharger and producing a coupe version. But let's hope none of it comes to pass, because almost everything about the Miata is just right. Its performance is perfectly matched to its suspension and brakes. Its snug interior is stylish and comfortable, yet it is designed with simplicity and common sense in mind.

And now that supply has caught up with demand, even its price is somewhat flexible.

The Miata I tested is a special version of the car - one of only 1,500 that will have black paint, a red leather interior, special wheels, a sports-tuned suspension system... Read More